Leap

Pokemon Go: Generation 2

406 posts in this topic

Can someone explain CP to me? I've understood that eggs are capped at lvl 20, which is weird, but, is it worth it to evolve/power up those pokemon? My Dratini for instance, will I ever make a decent dragon of it if I keep walking it even after I evolve it or is it doomed to mediocrity and I'm better off waiting another 6 months to catch one in the wild with a more respectable CP?

Posted (edited)

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Wait, is it actually worth checking the opinion on the Pokemon? I generally ignore that...

I've ignored it too.  Every once in a while when I get bored, I check the opinion and they always said the same thing (or a variation of it) so I stopped after about 100 or so.

Hit exactly 2 pokestops this weekend and got a sun stone. Also hatched a weird Giraffe/hybrid/head-on-his-tail(or at least a mouth) thing.  kinda creepy really. :P 

Need to read back to see how many stops it was between items, but I don't think it was that many.  I have also gotten them from all different places, including places that spawn pokemon  (eta: it was 106 pokestops.  #3293 for record keeping)

Edited by Lany Freelove Cassandra

Posted (edited)

I assume you mean the Appraise feature?  Unless you buy more and more Pokémon bag space, I'm guided by the Appraise feature as to what to keep and what to throw out. Different teams have different descriptions. For the Mystic (Blue) team lowest to highest are: 4th. Not likely to make much headway in battle, 3rd. Above Average, 2nd. Certainly Caught my attention, and 1st. Wonder! What a breathtaking Pokémon!

For Team Valor (Red) they are: 4 - May not be great in battle, but I still like it, 3 - Decent, 2 - Strong, 1 - Amazes me. It can accomplish anything!

For Team Spark (Yellow) they are: 4 - Has room for improvement, as far as battling goes, 3 - Pretty Decent, 2 - Really Strong, 1 - Looks like it can really battle with the best of them!

No matter how much Stardust you throw at a Pokémon, you cannot change an appraisal. I automatically throw out 4s and 3s, unless they are my first one or unless they are a type that simply does not present higher levels in my area. For example, I could catch Scythers with big CP numbers but they were all 4s or 3s. I have hatched one and got excited that I finally had a 1, but it was only a 2 with a small CP to boot.

The Attributes are Stamina (HP), Attack and Defense.

– Higher Stamina = Pokémon will have More Hit Points
– Higher Attack = Pokémon will deal more Damage during Gym Battles
– Higher Defense = Pokémon will take Reduced Damage from enemies’ attacks

When I finally learned about assessing Pokémon, I started using Poke Assistant Pokémon Go IV Calculator. You enter the name of the mon, it's CP and HP numbers, how much Stardust it takes to power up, whether or not it's been powered up, and which attributes it has. Some mon have only one attribute, some have two, and a few have all three. You then click on Calculate and you will get a range of IV% values for your mon. To narrow the range, you have to Power Up, mark that you have powered up, and use Refine instead of Calculate. You might have a mon with a range of, say, 60.2% to 85.6%, only to find out after powering up it drops to the low end. I have one Pokémon with the perfect score of 100%, and quite a few in the 90s. You will also on occasion find a mon with all three values the same, which I believe means powering it up will not increase the IV. My link currently shows a Gengar with a very good IV of 84.4%.

The number 1s almost always have the highest IVs, but I have a few 2s that have better IVs than my 1s.  I have checked the numbers of dozens of 4s and 3s and they are generally absolutely miserable, though I found one 3 that scored like a 2. I decided that it wasn't worth keeping and checking 3s on the off chance one is good. I have never found a 4 with a decent (above 70) IV, they are usually in the 20s or 30s, and my first Ditto was a 10%er. ie totally useless.

There are many calculators out there, I haven't bothered looking for a different one. There are also ones you can download on your phone, but I am not going to bother doing that on my phone and waste my battery. I do checking, when I have time, on my computer. :)

Hope that helps.

Edited by Fragile Bird

One more bit of information, the final comment in the appraisal. Stuff I had never looked up before. I might start keeping Pokémon with the first comment.

Blue: Its stats exceed my calculations. It's incredible!

Red: I'm blown away by its stats. Wow!

Yellow: Its stats are the best I have ever seen! No doubt about it!

Means:  Pokémon has perfect IVs in at least one base stat.

B: I am certainly impressed by its stats, I must say.

R: Its got excellent stats! How exciting!

Y: The stats are really strong! How impressive!

Means: Pokémon has IVs of 13 or 14 in at least one base stat.

B: Its stats are noticeable trending to the positive.

R: Its stats indicate that in battle, it'll get the job done.

Y: Its definitely got some good stats. Definitely!

Means: Pokémon has IVs of 8 to 12 in at least one base stat.

B: Its stats are not out of the norm, in my opinion.

R: Its stats don't point to greatness in battle.

Y: Its stats are all right, but kinda basic, as far as I can see.

Means: Pokémon !Vs are below 8 in every base stat.

You realize how complicated all of that is...? :P

If it has a high CP, I look at got points next.  If that's decent, I either power it up more or I don't.  I save all of my dust for the Pokemon I usuay battle with anyway...iys probably wrong, but what the heck!

He'll, my 432CP Ditto got the "I'm blown away..."comment...

Made it to level 27 tpsay, was rewarded with, among other things, 15 extra of the essentially useless banana berry thing...just takes up space in the bag...

2 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

You realize how complicated all of that is...? :P

If it has a high CP, I look at got points next.  If that's decent, I either power it up more or I don't.  I save all of my dust for the Pokemon I usuay battle with anyway...iys probably wrong, but what the heck!

He'll, my 432CP Ditto got the "I'm blown away..."comment...

Made it to level 27 tpsay, was rewarded with, among other things, 15 extra of the essentially useless banana berry thing...just takes up space in the bag...

I don't think you'll go wrong throwing away the 3s and 4s if you fight at all. The 1s and 2s are the best fighters.

But if you don't fight, keeping the highest CP ones is comforting, if delusional. :D

I just keep who ever has the highest CP :lol:  And since I'm team yellow, I have gotten a lot of #1's. It's just everyone else I talk to is Blue and kept talking about their "wonders" and I never got one, so I just quit checking.  I rarely battle anymore anyway.  I'm just a collector, so all I care about really is having one of everything.

I like collecting...I am just one tragedy away from becoming a hoarder :rofl: 

Since the local gym is always red, I like taking it down. Tomorrow I'm off my paternity leave though so today was probably the last time I hit a gym in a while. Same goes for walking, I've gotta start running if I wanna hatch any more eggs (and not have my body quit on me ;) )

13 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I just keep who ever has the highest CP :lol:  And since I'm team yellow, I have gotten a lot of #1's. It's just everyone else I talk to is Blue and kept talking about their "wonders" and I never got one, so I just quit checking.  I rarely battle anymore anyway.  I'm just a collector, so all I care about really is having one of everything.

I like collecting...I am just one tragedy away from becoming a hoarder :rofl: 

Actually, I usually just keep the highest CP too...evolve lower level ones to get the experience points then discard the lower of the newly evolved Pokemon.  It always seems like the better HPs go along with the higher CPs, at least when I check. Plus I keep the ones I just like.  I probably could have, and should have evolved a better Quagsire, but the first one was so cute!

I googled the IV thing and according to one page, the difference between highest and lowest rating when CP was the same was 10%, so even though the Wonder is preferable, CP and moveset is more important.

1 hour ago, Mikael said:

I googled the IV thing and according to one page, the difference between highest and lowest rating when CP was the same was 10%, so even though the Wonder is preferable, CP and moveset is more important.

Lol, that's not true from my experience. I'll collect some examples over the next week or two and post them to show you. Off the top of my head I'd say the difference could be 40 or 50 percentage points.

That's cool, I'd love to learn more, and if it turns out my Dratini and Larvitar wonders will turn good some day, all the better :)

Btw, Tyranitar in gyms is pointless, it doesn't stand a chance against Vaporeon.

I also noticed that once I started to use Raters my Pokemons do much better in fights.  Especially once you start getting up into the Higher CPs where those percentage points add up.  I recommend going here https://thesilphroad.com/iv-rater  The Silph Road has a ton of nice tools, also some species are better at attacking, or have a higher defense, or just more hit points.  They have most of them rated out.

Lastly, I find that their maps for hunting, at least in my area, seem to be pretty accurate.

Also, I have noticed that people are just sticking the highest CP creature they can in a tower because if they are higher in the 10 stack it increases the likelihood of staying in said tower.  So a Tyranitar can be useful in a tower because of its inherent high CP value.  It is why I am seeing Gyrados in towers more too, despite the fact he has low defense and ok hit points.  (I love fighting Gyrados with a Chancy, easy point gain on the tower.)

Posted (edited)

It's a water festival! Maybe I'll finally get enough candies for a Gyarados (only need 100 more candies! (17 Magicarps if I use pineapples on them))

http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/waterfestival2017

ETA:  and even bigger news: Special Items are now guaranteed on your day 7 streak!

Edited by Lany Freelove Cassandra

2 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

It's a water festival! Maybe I'll finally get enough candies for a Gyarados (only need 100 more candies! (17 Magicarps if I use pineapples on them))

http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/waterfestival2017

ETA:  and even bigger news: Special Items are now guaranteed on your day 7 streak!

All very, very nice!

I need that! I still have only ever gotten the one evolution item.

As far as the appraisal goes: I have a maxed-out Rhydon at 2600 (that I caught that way) that rates a 'not likely to do much'.  On the other hand, my 'wonder' Rhydon is maxed out at 2810.  I can't really say that the one at 2600 isn't a good fighter in gyms but if you want something that isn't going to be low mon on the totem pole when defending, a better rating will give you a higher CP in the end.  I won't power up anything that isn't a wonder unless I know I won't have a better one to expend the dust on.

I got from 74 Magicarp candy to 91 today.  w00t!  I caught a Mantine today as well.  That'd be great had I not gotten two out of 10k eggs.  They don't evolve and they seem fairly useless as far as gyms go so, w00t! again. ;)   I also caught a junky Chansey today but I'll take the 6 candy I got from it.

My last special item was on the morning of Thursday the 9th and was precisely 780 pokestops ago.

I have gotten a few of the new ones lately and am up to 53/70.  

I was finally able to evolve my Wartortle to get a Blastoise. Missing/will probably never get: Charizard, Machamp, Lapras, and Dragonite. Chansey is dead to me. Still walking my Omanyte. Yesterday I evolved and got a Croconaw, a Quagsire, and an Ursaring. Caught 191/201. I wants the itemz!

I got one!  869 pokestops later I got a steel coat and have a Steelex to go with my Scyther.  I picked up a king's stone with the weekly bonus this morning.  I still need 40 candy for the Poliwhirl so I have a second Slowking now.  

I went out last night and got a bunch of stuff.  Evolved a whoople and got enough candy for the Marill.  (Two catches later I caught whatever it evolves into so now I have two.)  I evolved a Phanpy and it turned into a beast.  The Donphan I have is at 1730 and has a LOT of room left on it.  I'll have to walk it to get candy but I suppose that's OK.  I've gone from around 70 Magicarp candy to 244.  It's doubtful that I'll get enough to evolve the thing this week but I suppose it's reasonable to assume I'll get them eventually.

I caught a Crobat last week so I won't feel compelled to walk a Zubat anytime soon even though I happen to have a couple of nice Golbats.

Thanks to the water ecent, I evolved my Gyrados last night...I've been seeing a good spread of various Pokemon lately too, not just the usual four or five I'm used to in my building.

I also hatched a Phanpy this week.  And a Magby.

Got the item bonus for seven days today, a steel coat, yet I don't have a spare Onix to use it on at the moment, I've ready used one on a Scyther.  I'm waiting on a stinking King Stone and another Sun stone.  I don't have the Pokemon or candy to use the Dragon scale and the up grade I've been sitting on since the things first came out...

Been a good few days.