MLB Offseason: Countdown to 2124

Myshkin

I'd expect the Nats to get McCutchen for the pieces they gave up, and even then they'd be taking a gamble. But getting only Eaton for those prospects is insane. And if Pittsburgh wants more than that for McCutchen, they can keep him.

34 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I'd expect the Nats to get McCutchen for the pieces they gave up, and even then they'd be taking a gamble. But getting only Eaton for those prospects is insane. And if Pittsburgh wants more than that for McCutchen, they can keep him.

Just seeing that trade made my stomach turn. The Nats seemed like they were the best option for the Pirates to get the best return for Cutch. Now, not so sure where they go from here. I've read the Pirates were insistent on Robles being in the trade, which makes zero sense when our top prospect is a CF who will be up sometime in the 2017 season most likely and they have Marte and Polanco locked up for a while on great deals so their outfield is set for the future. Starting pitching, not so much.

3 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Holy fuck....that's out of control. I'd probably be able to live with giving him four years with a club option but five years seems excessive. I hope they didn't give him a no trade clause. 

Yeah, how many closers stay dominant for that period of time? But hey, it's the Yankees.

12 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

He might have two or three good seasons. But that's not even the worst part, his propensity for violence bothers me. 

The only taint to the Cubs World Series...I take solace in the fact that he was NOT the final factor in game 7...

I find this absolutely hysterical. If he ever gets declared persona non grata in Japan he could sneak back in wearing sunglasses and a bogus mustache . 

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/bobby-valentine-donald-trump-united-states-us-ambassador-to-japan-red-sox-mets-rangers-manager-candidate-120916

Dodgers re-sign Jansen at 5yrs/$80mm, and are said to have a deal in place with Turner at 4yrs/$64mm. Happy to see both of these guys coming back.

Nats apparently offered Jansen around $5 million more, but a lot of the money was deferred. Marlins are also rumored to have offered him more, but who wants to play for the Marlins?

48 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18266346/new-mlb-rookie-hazing-rules-ban-dressing-women-offensive-costumes

FINALLY 

I tweeted to the Dodgers about this because I had finally had enough of dressing like a girl or pink backpacks etc as a shaming tool. 

I don't think they went far enough with it, just ban rookie hazing period. It sends the wrong message to ban certain kinds but not all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Buccos sign Ivan Nova for 3 years, $26 million. Kind of strange in such a thin SP market that he only got that kind of money. Hell the Astros gave Charlie Morton 2 and $14, and he's complete trash. Regardless, it's a great deal for the Pirates and gives them a workhorse in the rotation.

28 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Buccos sign Ivan Nova for 3 years, $26 million. Kind of strange in such a thin SP market that he only got that kind of money. Hell the Astros gave Charlie Morton 2 and $14, and he's complete trash. Regardless, it's a great deal for the Pirates and gives them a workhorse in the rotation.

I'm glad Nova turned it around in Pittsburgh.  

Archived