MLB Offseason: Countdown to 2124

Myshkin

On 12/12/2016 at 1:52 PM, Myshkin said:

Dodgers re-sign Jansen at 5yrs/$80mm, and are said to have a deal in place with Turner at 4yrs/$64mm. Happy to see both of these guys coming back.

Nats apparently offered Jansen around $5 million more, but a lot of the money was deferred. Marlins are also rumored to have offered him more, but who wants to play for the Marlins?

I feel like Jansen has been great in the last several years and is surprisingly anonymous especially considering he's in a big market.  Maybe it's a west coast thing or maybe I'm taking the piss, but he seems worth the resigning.  

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I was just reading about this over on yahoo. How does he even need a pardon/commuted sentence if it was from 1995? Your Giants are troublemakers...;)

18 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Bagwell is interesting. That kind of opens the door to all the steroid guys, I would think.

Bagwell and Pudge certainly soften the way for others, but Bonds and Clemens still only get into the low 50s, despite the early returns looking stronger...

40 minutes ago, kairparabola said:

Hooray for me!!! :bowdown: Tim Kirkjian (sp?) called Raines the 'Ricky Henderson of the National League', and he was pretty spot on if you ask me. Well deserved for the Rock.

I gotta agree with Jaxom and Manhole on the others. While deserving, it does seem like a soft opening to gauge reaction on how the steroid eras will be received going into the Hall. I'd be fine in assuming that both of them did steroids at some point, they just aren't of the card carrying class of Bonds, McGuire, Clemens, and others. And I believe the ballots are going public next year, so we'll be able to see who votes for who. That could have an effect on some of the steroid guys too.

1 hour ago, kairparabola said:

As Jaime L noted in the NFL thread, we've all learned a lot from Joe Pesci. ;)

/And thirded on Raines, that guy was a badass. 

23 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

How did Vlad Geurrero get snubbed? 

He'll get in next year, but still it's a bad look, especially considering Pudge and Bagwell made it in this year. Hoffman shoulda been voted in too. 

10 hours ago, Myshkin said:

He'll get in next year, but still it's a bad look, especially considering Pudge and Bagwell made it in this year. Hoffman shoulda been voted in too. 

And it makes things more interesting on the Bonds and Clemens front as well.  Will writers continue to support them in a growing capacity when you've got Vlad and Hoffman on the brink and you're adding Thome and (gag) Chipper next season? Mariano in '19 and Jeter in '20.  

Archived