MLB Offseason: Countdown to 2124

Myshkin

12 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

So it looks like MLB is gonna get rid of a traditional intentional walk in favor of a signal from the dugout. That's gonna save like a minute of gametime once every 2.6 games. Dumb.

Its not as stupid as starting extra innings with a runner on second (could anything be?), but its still really dumb.

And it means we'll never see things like this again; which makes me sad.

Yup, I'm not really down for this rule change either. Seems completely unnecessary (read somewhere that it'll save an average of 14 seconds per game), and could possibly (very rarely, though it has happened on multiple occasions) change the outcome of a game.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Yup, I'm not really down for this rule change either. Seems completely unnecessary (read somewhere that it'll save an average of 14 seconds per game), and could possibly (very rarely, though it has happened on multiple occasions) change the outcome of a game.

It really doesn't make a lot of sense. The only time that you really notice IBBs are when a team intentionally walks the bases loaded. Typically that is only in the playoffs though and, frankly, builds a lot of excitement for the next play. I'd rather watch a team slowly make that bed of loading the bases and then deal with the consequences than for it to happen suddenly.

11 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

And how often have we seen a pitcher struggle to find the strike zone after throwing four wide? 

Maybe that makes it a bit more acceptable? I don't know, I'm not sure this is a big deal in either direction. I don't see it fixing much in terms of speeding things up, but I don't think it hurts much either.

47 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Maybe that makes it a bit more acceptable? I don't know, I'm not sure this is a big deal in either direction. I don't see it fixing much in terms of speeding things up, but I don't think it hurts much either.

While it really isn't that big of a deal, there is just absolutely no need to make the change. It won't significantly speed the game up, and takes a lot of the risk factor out of it(wild pitch, losing the zone, making a mistake in, etc.).

This whole speeding the game up crusade is mostly just silly. Baseball is a slower paced game and there is only so much you can do. Actually enforcing the pitcher time limit and not letting the batters leave the box are the only things I really care about.

55 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

While it really isn't that big of a deal, there is just absolutely no need to make the change. It won't significantly speed the game up, and takes a lot of the risk factor out of it(wild pitch, losing the zone, making a mistake in, etc.).This whole speeding the game up crusade is mostly just silly. Baseball is a slower paced game and there is only so much you can do. Actually enforcing the pitcher time limit and not letting the batters leave the box are the only things I really care about.

I absolutely agree with that bit. I just don't see the need. It's a relatively slow moving game by design.

Man, the whole pace of play thing is so dumb. Baseball is meant to be slow, it's meant to be methodical. It is a game meant to while away the hours in pleasant manner that is in stark contrast to other sports. It's engrossing without the aggressive intensity of football or soccer, it doesn't demand your attention, it politely asks that you relax, and take in the sights and sounds of a game that hasn't appreciably  changed since the 1800s. Some of these rules that are being proposed, while they are being offered earnestly and with good intentions, are going to eventually leave us with a twisted homunculus that alienates the old fans, and lacks the simple authenticity that makes it easily one of the most accessible sports.

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

While it really isn't that big of a deal, there is just absolutely no need to make the change. It won't significantly speed the game up, and takes a lot of the risk factor out of it(wild pitch, losing the zone, making a mistake in, etc.).

This whole speeding the game up crusade is mostly just silly. Baseball is a slower paced game and there is only so much you can do. Actually enforcing the pitcher time limit and not letting the batters leave the box are the only things I really care about.

But the pitch counts!

No. Seriously. I'm in agreement that the pitcher time limit and the staying in the batter box are the two things that should be the focus. The rest is silly fluff.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

No. Seriously. I'm in agreement that the pitcher time limit and the staying in the batter box are the two things that should be the focus. The rest is silly fluff.

Exactly! Those are the things (along with limiting commercial times; which definitely won't happen) that actually could reduce play times by a noticeable amount. And they are arguably things that should happen. The time between pitches is definitely something that has changed over the years from back when the average game was a lot shorter than it is now.

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Indeed.

Heard a stat yesterday that last year there IBB average was .38 per game. This, the report continued, has been a decreasing trend over the past 5 years. With strikeout rates jumping over the past few years, most have begun to disdain the IBB  anyway.

So, figure it'll save you the "torture" of watching one IBB every 3 games or so. Big whoop.

Look at the big badass brain on Bobby Bonilla! He did something, that its a shame more young athletes dont opt for. He took a deferred compensation deal that will continue to compensate him (about 1.2 million annually) all the way till he's 72 years of age. That my friends is how a true proffesional needs to roll. 

Love that, hope he inspires others to be more forward thinking, instead of following the paths of these athletes that blow all the contract money and in some cases end up in bancruptcy. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-18747545

9 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Look at the big badass brain on Bobby Bonilla! He did something, that its a shame more young athletes dont opt for. He took a deferred compensation deal that will continue to compensate him (about 1.2 million annually) all the way till he's 72 years of age. That my friends is how a true proffesional needs to roll. 

Love that, hope he inspires others to be more forward thinking, instead of following the paths of these athletes that blow all the contract money and in some cases end up in bancruptcy. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-18747545

Can you imagine walking out to your mailbox every year for a million dollar + check? I can only imagine how that feels. Fucking Christmas in July, or whenever that check arrives.

11 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Can you imagine walking out to your mailbox every year for a million dollar + check? I can only imagine how that feels. Fucking Christmas in July, or whenever that check arrives.

Not to mention i'm pretty sure MLBers have some sort of lucrative pension bennies over and above the playing career conracts, I know the NFL has this because they were pointing out OJ would still be getting $250,000 or so, annually that was protected from his civil suit forfeitures.

If Bonnilla just uses his pension draw to pay his income taxes, he probably pockets the whole $1.2 million annually. Makes me amazed some of these guys still manage to go broke in their post playing years smh.

11 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Correct. The check comes in every July 1st and it usually gets noted on this thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived