MLB Offseason: Countdown to 2124

Myshkin

20 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

I was just reading about this over on yahoo. How does he even need a pardon/commuted sentence if it was from 1995? Your Giants are troublemakers...;)

It's pretty common to see people get pardoned long after they've already served their punishment. It expunges their criminal record. 

I will also add a cheers at seeing Timmy Raines getting inducted. Dude was lightning  fast in his prime.

My two favored "borderline chances" guys i'd like to see make it in someday are currently Jack Morris and the the age defying Minnie Minosa. Also maybe Bill Madlock who quietly won 4 batting titles.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Awful, awful idea. Worse than bringing CFB OT rules to the NFL.

They are also discussing shrinking the strike zone to speed up the game (IIRC that's the justification) - but that will lead to more nibbling, hitters' counts, and offense ... which make the game longer. So - huh?

So dumb. And there's such easier ways to speed up the game.

For instance, rule that batters can not leave the batter's box (no calling for time either) during an at-bat, except for injury. And if they are injured, they either need to be replaced or they forfeit the out if they stay in the game.

And shorten how long pitchers can take between pitches.

Motown mourns tonight.

Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings and Little Ceasars Chaiman of the Board, billionaire Mike Illitch has passed away at 87 years of age. 

Illitch was building the new Little Caesars arena in the downtown Detroit area, the Red Wings and Pistons will share that arena beginning next season. The new arena along with Ford Field (Lions) and Comerica Park (Tigers) brings all 4 major Detroit sports franchises back to the downtown area.

It was reported often how Verlander and Miggy and all the guys on the Tigers wanted to win a another championship for Mr Illitch, as Illitch let it be known that was his last great wish. This was a owner that cared about his community, his players and the fans. Rest in peace Mr Illitch you will be remembered in Motown as one of the great ones.

The tweets are pouring in from Red Wings and Tigers with praises like "The best owner in sports."

Eta: Apparently Illitch quietly paid Rosa Parks rent for over a decade because he wanted to make sure she had a safe place to stay. Perfect example of the kind of man he was. http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/us/mike-ilitch-rosa-parks-trnd/index.html

So rumor has it that Ol' Jeff Loria has "a handshake" agreement to sell the Marlins to the Kushner group, yes those Kushners, for $1.6 billion. In a completely unrelated story, rumor also has it that the Trump administration plans to name Loria ambassador to France.

ETA: Kushners are saying they won't buy Marlins if Loria is named ambassador. 

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

So rumor has it that Ol' Jeff Loria has "a handshake" agreement to sell the Marlins to the Kushner group, yes those Kushners, for $1.6 billion. In a completely unrelated story, rumor also has it that the Trump administration plans to name Loria ambassador to France.

ETA: Kushners are saying they won't buy Marlins if Loria is named ambassador. 

At first I thought this post was mostly sarcasm...silly me.

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

I would love to know why exactly Loria being ambassador to France so offends the Kushners.  Seems so random.

I imagine they are too intelligent to allow themselves to be sucked into any Trump nonsense. Outside of their son of course. Why associate yourself with this shitshow if you don't have to?

3 hours ago, Triskan said:

I would love to know why exactly Loria being ambassador to France so offends the Kushners.  Seems so random.

I don't think it offends them; I think they just don't want to be dragged into a media shitshow over allegations of quid pro quo.

Archived