College Basketball - Year of the Blue Bloods?

RedEyedGhost

8 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I didn't realize we had -1 championships in the past four years.  Now I'm sad :crying:

Thought the graphic meant back to 2012... but I suppose this is 2017 now, huh?

Really got to do some fan education in the SEC...

Losing by seven with about a minute to play, the Mississippi State fans start chanting "Oh-Ver-RAY-Ted!"  The Vanderbilt fans did the same while losing.  Methinks the football fans who decide to attend the show when Kentucky comes to town really don't know what's going on...

Also, the baseline on one end of the court said "Stark Vegas."  Someone should tell them that Starkville is not called Stark Vegas because its an enjoyable place to be...

I got a good chuckle out of StarkVegas being painted on their baseline... what are they thinking?

Also of course it was t-shirt night.  What do you do with 10,000 t-shirts printed up with "Beat Kentucky" on them after you lose?  Save them til' the SEC tourney or next year?

7 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I got a good chuckle out of StarkVegas being painted on their baseline... what are they thinking?

Also of course it was t-shirt night.  What do you do with 10,000 t-shirts printed up with "Beat Kentucky" on them after you lose?  Save them til' the SEC tourney or next year?

Since we beat them in football too, they could just recycle them in the fall.  ;) 

20 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Also, the baseline on one end of the court said "Stark Vegas."  Someone should tell them that Starkville is not called Stark Vegas because its an enjoyable place to be...

I actually think it's kind of funny that they've co-opted that joke and owned it. Rare case of self-aware humor on the part of that fanbase.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Really got to do some fan education in the SEC...

Losing by seven with about a minute to play, the Mississippi State fans start chanting "Oh-Ver-RAY-Ted!" 

Only down by one touchdown?  Onside kick, TD + 2-point conversion!  That's anyone's game man!

In other news, Mountaineers got OU @ home tonight.  Sooners looked better last game with Woodard back so who knows, but WVU should take care of them on our own court.  If there's to be any hope of dethroning the Jayhawks n the Big XII, we have to defend home court - probably against everyone that comes in there.  

Was a little more nervous than I expected to be on Saturday sitting there in the Erwin Center in my Mountaineer gear watching WVU @ Texas with my UT alum girlfriend and 2 other Longhorns fans.  Having boldly predicted that the Mountaineers would stomp Texas, especially sans Tevin Mack, I could almost feel the Nelson laugh building inside my girlfriend at various points in the game when it looked like Texas was going to pull it out.  Anyway, thank God I didn't have to endure that!  Wasn't the win I was expecting but I'll take any conference road win.  Word is half the Mountaineers had the flu, so hopefully a less sluggish effort will be in store tonight against OU. 

For some more generic basketball musings, I have always enjoyed college basketball quite a bit.  But over the last few seasons I started to move towards the conclusion that I enjoy watching Mountaineer basketball more than Mountaineer football.

I love both, of course, but in college football there is just no margin for error. You lose a game or two and it is devastating to your chances of competing for a championship. That isn't the only reason to enjoy watching football, after all unfortunately  WVU doesn't have a championship in either sport.... but it does take some excitement out of it when you get to the point in the season where your playoff hopes are dead in the water.

Maybe that's partly due to the playoff system in football, but it was pretty much true during the BCS years as well.  Also - commercials, man. So many god damn commercials in football that I can hardly stand to watch it live anymore. DVR keeps me going.  I watch almost every football game on a delay.

Anyway, in basketball you can take a few L's on the chin and still compete for all the marbles. While I'd obviously love for WVU to be the team to dethrone Kansas for the regular season Big 12 this year, even if we don't get there, we can still compete for a national title in the NCAA tournament.  That helps A LOT in terms of being more zen about the outcome of individual games, and therefore adds to my ability to just enjoy watching the game. The games obviously matter for pride and for tournament seeding but, up until that sudden death NCAA tournament, no single loss or two is entirely devastating as it is in college football. 

I obviously do still get angry at times watching basketball, but it is usually only when WVU plays like crap and loses to a team that they definitely should beat. 

Yeah I've been watching sports delayed since the early days of DVR.  I start about 45-60 minutes late for basketball and about 1.5 hours late for football, and you end up catching up live right towards the end of the game.  It's the only way to go. 

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

Thought the graphic meant back to 2012... but I suppose this is 2017 now, huh?

Even then, the recruiting class that won it in 2012 was the 2011 recruiting class ;) 

The ending of WVU-OU has been pretty intense.  Carter has some stones, and Woodard could have won it for OU with a FT and 3.1 sec but he couldn't make it.

Welp.  After my post yesterday about basketball zen.... last night was exactly the type of loss that really pisses me off.  :lol:

@ home against a team we should beat, and blew a second half double digit lead to boot.  KU doesn't lose home games to the bottom of the conference, can't afford to do that if we hope to win the conference.  I just hope the loss serves as a wake-up call, because it could easily turn into a 3 game skid with @KSU this weekend and then KU coming to town after that.

1 hour ago, S John said:

Welp.  After my post yesterday about basketball zen.... last night was exactly the type of loss that really pisses me off.  :lol:

@ home against a team we should beat, and blew a second half double digit lead to boot.  KU doesn't lose home games to the bottom of the conference, can't afford to do that if we hope to win the conference.  I just hope the loss serves as a wake-up call, because it could easily turn into a 3 game skid with @KSU this weekend and then KU coming to town after that.

And that's why we have our streak (and the fact that we rarely lose to the top of the conference at home either), every year the top contenders gift us with one or more head scratching losses.  I watched the second half and OT, and for the vast majority of the second half the arena was like a morgue.  They got a little more in it as the game got tighter, but there were a lot of empty seats visible and I'm not sure how the loudness of the crowd on television relates to the loudness in the arena because it sure sounded loud at the end, but with all those empties I just don't know.

Next week will be completely different with the crowd actually being more like it was for the Baylor game.  I'm still expecting a KU loss next week, in fact our upcoming stretch of games is brutal (after Texas comes to AFH): @WVU, @UK, Baylor, ISU, @KSU, @TT, WVU, @Baylor.  I'm hoping we can go 5-3 in that run.

2 hours ago, S John said:

Thought of your post last night while watching the end of that.

Truly the basketball gods are fickle, fickle beings.

Shame on Indiana for that, seriously.  Penn State hoops?

Arizona played a great first half @ UCLA today and hung on to win. Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon now all have two losses each and look really even.  Arizona could have been flying under the radar nationally as one of their best players Trier was suspended until today.  He didn't start but played well once he got in, and they were only a 2 loss team up to this point.  I'm hopeful that this could be the first time in ages that multiple Pac-10/12 teams make it deep in March.

Is it me or does it seem like there's a ton of really good teams out there, like more than usual? I know it's only January and conference play will thin the herd a bit but there's tons of talent up and down every big conference. I guess Uconn picked a decent year to be absolutely abysmal.

ETA: I randomly turned on the FSU-Louisville game today and within 2 fucking minutes Dickie V started to defend Grayson Allen saying the internet and everyone is too tough on him, etc. What a shocker. 

In the midst of a chaotic existence, there are but a few absolutes that we may depend upon.  Death, taxes, the sun rising in the east, the tides of the ocean, trouble in the Middle East, and that Dickie V will manage to talk about Duke no matter what game he is calling.

8 hours ago, S John said:

In the midst of a chaotic existence, there are but a few absolutes that we may depend upon.  Death, taxes, the sun rising in the east, the tides of the ocean, trouble in the Middle East, and that Dickie V will manage to talk about Duke no matter what game he is calling.

Truth.

De'Aaron Fox turned his ankle in the first half against USCe on Saturday.  He came out in the second half in street clothes with crutches and a boot.  :bang:  Initial reports seem generally positive, but I fully expect him to miss the Tennessee game Tuesday.  We can win that one without him, but we will have no chance against Kansas on Saturday if he isn't healthy.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Truth.

De'Aaron Fox turned his ankle in the first half against USCe on Saturday.  He came out in the second half in street clothes with crutches and a boot.  :bang:  Initial reports seem generally positive, but I fully expect him to miss the Tennessee game Tuesday.  We can win that one without him, but we will have no chance against only beat Kansas by 6 on Saturday if he isn't healthy.

There I fixed your post.  Ye of little faith

Archived