College Basketball - Year of the Blue Bloods?

RedEyedGhost

7 hours ago, S John said:

Yea, I'd like our chances better had ISU not won in AFH last week.  

Daxter Miles was out for OU I believe, but he played a bit against Kansas State Saturday.  He hasn't done a lot lately in any case, but maybe he's due for a nice game.  I'll be curious to see how many minutes Huggs gives to Beetle Bolden.  He hasn't played a lot this season (he's young), but him and Lamont West (also young) are the best shooters we have.  Other than those two guys, and the occasional open look from Carter or Adrian, I'd prefer WVU work the ball inside and attack in the paint.   We are an improved shooting team, but certainly not good enough to be launching three's all game when we aren't quite the offense rebounding machine of past seasons.  

IMO, Carter and Adrian, and particularly Carter, are the two guys that WVU really needs to win games.  We can limp along without any one member of the rest of the cast.  

I think Carter is one of the most overlooked players in the conference. He has a very solid all-around game. Can see him as a good back-up in the NBA, whether that happens.....I doubt it.

21 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I think Carter is one of the most overlooked players in the conference. He has a very solid all-around game. Can see him as a good back-up in the NBA, whether that happens.....I doubt it.

Dang, I just looked him up, and he's only a junior??  I thought for sure he was a senior.  Must be the hairline.

Baylor losing tonight gave us a little cushion, which is fine as I'm definitely not confidant about tonight.  Where's our home cooking?  What a swingy game.

5 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I took my break at work as the meltdown occurred. I didn't finish my meal....or stay to watch OT. Made me sick. Graham. That dude lit us up last year.

The only silver lining is that losing in Lawrence isn't going to affect our resume come time for NCAA seeding.  Wins there are hard to come by.  I just hope that THIS is the moment where it clicks for the team that they have to play 40 minutes of basketball to win - especially against KU for Christ sake.  As unlikely as a comeback was up double digits with less than 2 min to go, everyone watching knew KU was not going to just roll over in AFH.  Several times this year I've seen double digit WVU leads evaporate in the last 10 minutes of a game.  Need to learn to keep the foot on the gas and close out games.  

Ole Miss continues the goofiness of their SEC slate against putrid LSU - down 64-54 with 11:28 left; close on a 42-12 run including the last 18 points of the game.  Terrence Davis with another monster performance.

Johnny Jones has to be gone after this year, right?

4 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Ole Miss continues the goofiness of their SEC slate against putrid LSU - down 64-54 with 11:28 left; close on a 42-12 run including the last 18 points of the game.  Terrence Davis with another monster performance.

Johnny Jones has to be gone after this year, right?

Friends don't let friends play for Johnny Jones.  Or Lorenzo Romar. 

I think those two guys really have a great competition going for the title of "Coach Who Does the Least with the Most Talent."  Leonard Hamilton goes for honorable mention there (fully acknowledge he's doing well so far... but check with me when he advances past the first weekend of the tourney).

Tom Crean's seat is getting pretty hot as well.  As it should have been years ago.  Honestly, he has kept his job entirely on the strength of one Big Ten title and two wins over Kentucky.  He is 69-88 in the Big Ten.  44% winning in conference play isn't good enough for a "top" job.  Speaking of IU's status... they were just passed on the all time wins list by Louisville over the weekend.

Not sure if things have changed, but at the time of the J.J. Reddick, Shelden Williams iteration of the Duke team, something like 90% of K's players had majored in the same thing, some random sociology program focusing on African-Americans. There was an outside the lines special on it.

Now that's the same everwhere, but Duke has always held up its academics as if that somehow applied to the basketball team.

I don't want to say it's in the books, but yeah, it's all but wrapped up with 4 to play and a 3 game lead...  Thirteen!

17 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Number 0 is killing Baylor. Get a board and finish on the other end. Kansas showing their poise.

He is the leading candidate for NPOY ;)  Hopefully his performance at the end of the past two game have that wrapped up for him.

15 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

.... so, uh @Greywolf2375 ... what exactly do they teach at Duke?  Ahhhh, who am I kidding, Kyrie Irving never went to class.

yeah, I was just coming in to post about the same thing.  My guess would be in the Geology, etc classes they do teach based on scientific data and mumbojumbo like that.  However, you probably need to attend classes to learn the things real good like.

It seems like the same story for Duke again - this team could be a title contender or they could lose in the first round.  I like that they have been playing and winning close games, but some of these shouldn't be close games.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

He is the leading candidate for NPOY ;)  Hopefully his performance at the end of the past two game have that wrapped up for him.

Ha, I know who Mason is! I'm not that out of the loop because of Uconn sucking. I meant the #0 on Baylor, Lual-Acuil. Dude kept getting outrebounded when I was watching. 2 boards the whole game for a 7 footer.

WVU determined to give me a heart attack, but got the W in the end.  Quick turnaround this week with Texas on Monday.  They gave us more trouble than I had bargained for in the game in Austin earlier this year, but hopefully will be a different story at home. 

6 hours ago, S John said:

WVU determined to give me a heart attack, but got the W in the end.  Quick turnaround this week with Texas on Monday.  They gave us more trouble than I had bargained for in the game in Austin earlier this year, but hopefully will be a different story at home. 

Wouldn't it just be so nice to have a few cupcakes in the Big XII?  8 of the teams are in the top 43 on Kenpom, the other two are 70 and 71.  Every other major conference has at least one way down in the 100s, with most having two or three.  I would love a couple of cruise control games, both for my stress level and to give our top guys a bit of rest while helping to develop the bench.  I hope Texas Tech can get into the tournament, but I have to think they're on the outside looking in right now.  They have a couple of really good wins, but they also lost way too many games that they needed to win - 5-9 in conference looks really bad.  Had they pulled out wins @Tex and @TCU (4 and 1 point losses respectively), I think they're solidly in.

Archived