College Basketball - Year of the Blue Bloods?

RedEyedGhost

On 2/27/2017 at 9:40 PM, Rhom said:
1 hour ago, Triskan said:

To clarify something about my stance, I am not saying I'm sure he's going to be a super star.  I would just be shocked if he's not at worst an every day player with a long career.  Do you just not think he's going to be a superstar or do you think he's going to be a total bust?

I agree that Fultz has been weirdly protected.  I think I made the comparison to LSU last year some time ago, but he's received way less attention than Simmons did last year.

No, I don't think he'll  be a total bust, but a franchise player to build around and championships...NO. He'll start, and would be a very nice complimentary player. His game fits the way the NBA style of play is now days. Would I make him my franchise centerpiece , no.

sorry for wacky quote funcrion

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

I agree that Fultz has been weirdly protected.  I think I made the comparison to LSU last year some time ago, but he's received way less attention than Simmons did last year.

I don't think he's be protected, I think it's just that most of the nation doesn't care about the PAC12 at all.  It's more like he's forgotten than protected.  Simmons also had a good class come in with him, so there were other talented players on his team (not that Jones could get anything out of them), and I'm sure that helped elevate expectations.  That doesn't mean scouts have forgotten about him, but I really doubt they enjoy showing up to watch him and the feeble Romars square off against the Beavers.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Racers take down Morehead State.  Eat it Ned! :smug: 

Bah!  Morehead's been a mess all year with Woods getting fired halfway through the season (although the team played much better after he was gone).  I thought the game was today for some reason, so obviously the only reason Murray won was because I wasn't watching to cheer on the Eagles.  

And the OVC has to win the award for the weirdest format for any 8-team tournament in the world.

8 teams, 4 rounds, and the top 4 teams get buys to varying degrees.  Good luck against UT Martin!

19 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Bah!  Morehead's been a mess all year with Woods getting fired halfway through the season (although the team played much better after he was gone).  I thought the game was today for some reason, so obviously the only reason Murray won was because I wasn't watching to cheer on the Eagles.  

And the OVC has to win the award for the weirdest format for any 8-team tournament in the world.

8 teams, 4 rounds, and the top 4 teams get buys to varying degrees.  Good luck against UT Martin!

It is weird.  And Murray has certainly never been a 7 seed in my time as a fan, so I hadn't followed it closely.  That 29 year winning season streak is in dire jeopardy.  A win tonight would make the Racers 17-16.  With a likely match-up with Belmont looming in the championship game, that means they would finish with a .500 record.  (Of course a loss tonight means an outright losing record...)

So the only way to get a winning record on the year is to make the NCAA tournament...

ETA:  Since I know everyone on the thread will want to be watching... Racers play tonight at 9:30 EST on ESPNU.  :lol: 

10 hours ago, Triskan said:

Cool, got your post.  Glad I clarified.  I actually would bet on him being pretty damn good...maybe not Steph Curry good, but making a few all-star teams.  But my original point was getting more to the question of whether he's a serviceable NBA player which I think is all but assured.

Yes, he'll be serviceable. But, his dad saying he's better than Steph...come on. Not even close. I think his low is a decent starter, which I think he'll start. Or, that irrational confidence 6th man, that every teams needs. Lightning in a bottle, Jamal Crawford would be a good.comparison.

Big game tonight @Michael Seswatha Jordan

If WVU beats Iowa State tonight and if Baylor beats Texas tomorrow there will be a 3-way tie for 2nd, which WVU will win on the tiebreaker.  If we lose we will likely finish 4th in the conference instead of 2nd.  I also think WVU might fall from a 4 seed without a W tonight and would be forced to play our way back to that spot by winning a couple rounds of the Big 12 tournament - and an early exit there could mean a 6 or so seed in the NCAA tournament.  

I really want to stay at a 4 seed or higher for the NCAA's, and based on our play over the next few games, starting with tonight, we could land anywhere from 2-6.  2, unlikely but I think possible if WVU was to finish second in the Big 12 by beating ISU and then won the Big 12 tournament.  

ISU on a hot streak and its hard to sweep any Big 12 team.  Just glad that we get this one in Morgantown.  Should be a good one.  We'll need to not play like shit tonight.  

5 minutes ago, S John said:

Big game tonight @Michael Seswatha Jordan

If WVU beats Iowa State tonight and if Baylor beats Texas tomorrow there will be a 3-way tie for 2nd, which WVU will win on the tiebreaker.  If we lose we will likely finish 4th in the conference instead of 2nd.  I also think WVU might fall from a 4 seed without a W tonight and would be forced to play our way back to that spot by winning a couple rounds of the Big 12 tournament - and an early exit there could mean a 6 or so seed in the NCAA tournament.  

I really want to stay at a 4 seed or higher for the NCAA's, and based on our play over the next few games, starting with tonight, we could land anywhere from 2-6.  2, unlikely but I think possible if WVU was to finish second in the Big 12 by beating ISU and then won the Big 12 tournament.  

ISU on a hot streak and its hard to sweep any Big 12 team.  Just glad that we get this one in Morgantown.  Should be a good one.  We'll need to not play like shit tonight.  

And I gotta work. Thank God for ESPN. I think we get the win at home. And, I'm pretty confident against anyone in the country on a neutral court. I see us being a 3, if we finish 1sr or second in the BIGXII tournament. No lower than a 4 regardless. I think we have a better team than last year and expect a  deep run. I'm not living in LA La land, I don't see a NC in our future. I can see a Elite 8 definitely and maybe a final four. I like this team @S John.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I hope you guys win tonight, because I really don't want you as the 4 seed!!  Kenpom #3 should not be a 4 in the conference tournament :eek: 

If that happens you will just have to root for Texas to beat Baylor tomorrow!  I think that might make it 2.ISU, 3.WVU, 4.Baylor.  But yea, I hope it doesn't come to that.  

Slightly related note, one nice thing about Texas sucking is tickets are easy to get.  Went to see them play Kansas last weekend and going to see them play Baylor tomorrow.  With the exception of ISU, after tomorrow I will have seen 3 of the top 4 Big 12 teams in person this year and have gotten to see a decent amount of solid live basketball in general the past couple of years.  I thought about getting Longhorns season tix this year but I didn't want to be on the upper deck and you can buy single game seats on the lower deck for about $30/pop, so it's better to pick and choose.  

16 minutes ago, S John said:

If that happens you will just have to root for Texas to beat Baylor tomorrow!  I think that might make it 2.ISU, 3.WVU, 4.Baylor.  But yea, I hope it doesn't come to that.  

Slightly related note, one nice thing about Texas sucking is tickets are easy to get.  Went to see them play Kansas last weekend and going to see them play Baylor tomorrow.  With the exception of ISU, after tomorrow I will have seen 3 of the top 4 Big 12 teams in person this year and have gotten to see a decent amount of solid live basketball in general the past couple of years.  I thought about getting Longhorns season tix this year but I didn't want to be on the upper deck and you can buy single game seats on the lower deck for about $30/pop, so it's better to pick and choose.  

Lucky guy, you have to sell your soul for a ticket at the Coliseum, unless you know someone.

My neighbor at the moment, played at WVU. Not to get into his personal life, but he didn't really have anyone to give his home tickets to. He gave them to me quite a few times over his 3 years there. Really nice, got to sit with all the players parents and siblings, really cool.

ETA: football that is. Which isn't hard to find a ticket, but an awesome experience nonetheless. ETAA: say what you want about Genoa Smith, but his mom is one bad woman. If he threw his helmet or acted like a baby in any manner, you could tell she was gonna lay into him after the games. His brothers laughed their asse off, because they knew what was coming.

16 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

@S John, no worries tonight!

Yea really solid win and felt like we were firmly in control in the second half so it was nice to see WVU finish off an opponent without high drama for once.  

ISU was shooting lights out from 3 in the first half but with WVU taking the slim lead into halftime despite the flurry of 3's, I figured we were in pretty good shape.  I knew challenging those open threes would be a topic of conversation in the WVU locker room and ISU probably wasn't going to get the same production there in the second half.  Without being lethal from 3, ISU is not beating WVU.  We kill them on the boards and have some pretty serviceable rim protectors and they don't have the size to match up.  They are a good team and have had an impressive run at the end of the season, but it is a bad match up for them.

Archived