Theory: Could Cersei blame it on Dorne?

BrienneofFart

I was just thinking about how Cersei justified her ascension to the throne towards the people of King's Landing, especially the surviving nobles. Of course, she has no rightful claim and took it by conquest, simply because she could. And the reason no one argued against it is because the military (Kingsguard, Lannister forces and City Watch) is seemingly loyal to her, so no one can make a move against her. She is definetely not popular with the smallfolk and how we saw in S6 the nobles didn't like her either. And it's logical that anyone with a brain would suspect her to be behind the explosion of the sept. But, assuming that Cersei doesn't go completely mad and intends to continue ruling somehow and survive the obviously imminent war, she would need the support of the city, or rather she can't rule if she can't trust her own forces to turn against her.

So, what would you do if you were Cersei now and intended to stay on the throne? You would blame the sept explosion on someone else. No one will believe it was an accident. The Tyrells surely wouldn't kill their own heirs. But there's one house which also hates the Lannisters - the Martells. Assuming at least KL's nobles know about Myrcella's death at the hands of the people who now rule Dorne, would it be impossible to think that the same people who killed their princess infiltrated the city to blow up the sept with the queen and a beloved and influental religious figure, as well as 2 Lannisters and a whole bunch of their allies? Cersei could say the Martells conspired with Grand Maester Pyrcelle (Swiftly executed on her orders for his treason, of course) to use wildfire to terrorize the city and kill its leaders. Tommen and she barely escaped and were obviously meant to be killed as well, if the smart Cersei hadn't discovered the plot only moments before. Tommen couldn't stand realizing that his beloved queen had died and threw himself from the red keep.

Cersei could portray herself as the victim of the great game. After having found her faith and regreting her sins during her walk of atonement, everything she loves gets taken from her. The tyrells think she did it so they allied with the evil Sand Snakes, and the Mad Queen Targaryen conqueror who they conspired with. Cersei ascends to the throne to prevent anarchy in the city and promises to defend the people from the incoming invasion and deliver justice to the terrorist sand snakes. Oh and the evil kingslayer imp who also murdered his father is the advisor to the evil targaryen conqueror, as well as the savage ironborn who are known for raiding and raping on the western shore. She also brings slave soldiers and slaves with her and monstrous dragons that burn everything down. Olenna is too old and full of grief to come to her senses. Ellaria Sand murdered her deceased paramour's family because she is power hungry. 

Beware that is is just a not well thought-out theory on how Cersei will somehow archieve stability within the city, and her forces. I highly doubt she will portray it that way on the show. And by now way she would pretend to me a super nice motherly queen to everyone but a strict one who strikes fear into her enemy's hearts and will everything to defend her people (looking at her cornoration scene). So what do you think about this? I know similar things have already been discussed, so do you think that would be the most logical try for Cersei to keep her power?

I think Cersei's PR department will put out some type of bullshit statement. Dorne or the Targaryens is most likely. It's not like anyone will believe it, and the show may not even bother addressing it, but if they do, I'm sure Cersei will give some flimsy excuse. 

Archived