Wow, I never noticed that v.15

Lost Melnibonean

On 1/9/2017 at 1:17 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

By the time Cat returned to Brusco's house, an evening fog was gathering above the small canal. She put away her barrow, found Brusco in his counting room, and thumped her purse down on the table in front of him. She thumped the boots down too.

Brusco gave the purse a pat. "Good. But what's this?"

"Boots."

"Good boots are hard to find," said Brusco, "but these are too small for my feet." He picked one up to squint at it.

"The moon will be black tonight," she reminded him.

"Best you pray, then." Brusco shoved the boots aside and poured out the coins to count them. "Valar dohaeris."

Valar morghulis, she thought.

"Dareon is dead. The black singer who was sleeping at the Happy Port. He was really a deserter from the Night's Watch. Someone slit his throat and pushed him into a canal, but they kept his boots."

"Good boots are hard to find."

"Just so." She tried to keep her face still.

"Who could have done this thing, I wonder?"

"Arya of House Stark." She watched his eyes, his mouth, the muscles of his jaw.

"That girl? I thought she had left Braavos. Who are you?"

"No one."

"You lie."

Cat of the Canals, Feast 34

Interesting that both Brusco and the Kindly Man reply with "Good boots are hard to find."

Are they the same person? Communicating?

2 minutes ago, StocksOfWinterfell said:

Interesting that both Brusco and the Kindly Man reply with "Good boots are hard to find."

Are they the same person? Communicating?

I think it suggests they both knew what she was about. 

The old gods were calling to Sansa in the Eyrie...

"If Robb has to go, watch over him," Bran entreated the old gods, as they watched him with the heart tree's red eyes, "and watch over his men, Hal and Quent and the rest, and Lord Umber and Lady Mormont and the other lords. And Theon too, I suppose. Watch them and keep them safe, if it please you, gods. Help them defeat the Lannisters and save Father and bring them home."

A faint wind sighed through the godswood and the red leaves stirred and whispered. Summer bared his teeth. "You hear them, boy?" a voice asked.

Bran lifted his head. Osha stood across the pool, beneath an ancient oak, her face shadowed by leaves. Even in irons, the wildling moved quiet as a cat. Summer circled the pool, sniffed at her. The tall woman flinched.

"Summer, to me," Bran called. The direwolf took one final sniff, spun, and bounded back. Bran wrapped his arms around him. "What are you doing here?" He had not seen Osha since they'd taken her captive in the wolfswood, though he knew she'd been set to working in the kitchens.

"They are my gods too," Osha said. "Beyond the Wall, they are the only gods." Her hair was growing out, brown and shaggy. It made her look more womanly, that and the simple dress of brown roughspun they'd given her when they took her mail and leather. "Gage lets me have my prayers from time to time, when I feel the need, and I let him do as he likes under my skirt, when he feels the need. It's nothing to me. I like the smell of flour on his hands, and he's gentler than Stiv." She gave an awkward bow. "I'll leave you. There's pots that want scouring."

"No, stay," Bran commanded her. "Tell me what you meant, about hearing the gods."

Osha studied him. "You asked them and they're answering. Open your ears, listen, you'll hear."

Bran listened. "It's only the wind," he said after a moment, uncertain. "The leaves are rustling."

"Who do you think sends the wind, if not the gods?" She seated herself across the pool from him, clinking faintly as she moved. Mikken had fixed iron manacles to her ankles, with a heavy chain between them; she could walk, so long as she kept her strides small, but there was no way for her to run, or climb, or mount a horse. "They see you, boy. They hear you talking. That rustling, that's them talking back."

Bran VI, Game 53

Her small mouth twitched in a petulant smile. "If you are tried and found to be guilty of the crimes for which you stand accused, then by the king's own laws, you must pay with your life's blood. We keep no headsman in the Eyrie, my lord of Lannister. Open the Moon Door."

The press of spectators parted. A narrow weirwood door stood between two slender marble pillars, a crescent moon carved in the white wood. Those standing closest edged backward as a pair of guardsmen marched through. One man removed the heavy bronze bars; the second pulled the door inward. Their blue cloaks rose snapping from their shoulders, caught in the sudden gust of wind that came howling through the open door. Beyond was the emptiness of the night sky, speckled with cold uncaring stars.

Tyrion V, Game 38

Lady Lysa pulled at Sansa's arm. It was either walk or be dragged, so she chose to walk, halfway down the hall and between a pair of pillars, to a white weirwood door set in the marble wall. The door was firmly closed, with three heavy bronze bars to hold it in place, but Sansa could hear the wind outside worrying at its edges. When she saw the crescent moon carved in the wood, she planted her feet. "The Moon Door." She tried to yank free. "Why are you showing me the Moon Door?"

Sansa VII, Storm 80

Old snow cloaked the courtyard, and icicles hung down like crystal spears from the terraces and towers. The Eyrie was built of fine white stone, and winter's mantle made it whiter still. So beautiful, Alayne thought, so impregnable. She could not love this place, no matter how she tried. Even before the guards and serving men had made their descent, the castle had seemed as empty as a tomb, and more so when Petyr Baelish was away. No one sang up there, not since Marillion. No one ever laughed too loud. Even the gods were silent. The Eyrie boasted a sept, but no septon; a godswood, but no heart tree. No prayers are answered here, she often thought, though some days she felt so lonely she had to try. Only the wind answered her, sighing endlessly around the seven slim white towers and rattling the Moon Door every time it gusted. It will be even worse in winter, she knew. In winter this will be a cold white prison.

Alayne II, Feast 41

There is a portion of the fan base that think that Baelish is behind  everything including Robert's Rebellion. Despite evidence of Southern ambitions  etc.  They think  that  there could have been a letter or a message that  he was supposed to send that would explain the who Lyanna abduction. 

Now the time line is hazy and Baelish was half dead but we know that Baelish sent a letter to Cat early  during the war. We don't know  when she got it and Baelish's castle doesn't  have a Maester. So we don't know how long it would take him to send it.  Now what if that letter was information about Rhaegar and Lyanna? Then  Catelyn just burned the letter unread.  I am just thinking about how ironic that would have been. 

3 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

There is a portion of the fan base that think that Baelish is behind  everything including Robert's Rebellion. Despite evidence of Southern ambitions  etc.  They think  that  there could have been a letter or a message that  he was supposed to send that would explain the who Lyanna abduction. 

Now the time line is hazy and Baelish was half dead but we know that Baelish sent a letter to Cat early  during the war. We don't know  when she got it and Baelish's castle doesn't  have a Maester. So we don't know how long it would take him to send it.  Now what if that letter was information about Rhaegar and Lyanna? Then  Catelyn just burned the letter unread.  I am just thinking about how ironic that would have been. 

But how would Baelish have obtained any information about Lyanna and Rhaegar?

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

On the way back to  the Fingers from  Riverrun after almost being  killed  by Brandon. Possibly at the Inn at the Crossroads.  Someone  has a theory on it here or maybe  Reddit. 

13 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

I read that thread too. It was on these forums, though I forget the title.  

I've considered this as well.  

I never thought Dany was anything but average height before, but she must be extremely small:

... Missandei brought the queen a simple meal of goat cheese and olives, with raisins for a sweet. "Your Grace needs more than wine to break her fast. You are such a tiny thing, and you will surely need your strength today."

That made Daenerys laugh, coming from a girl so small....

This changed a lot of my ideas about what happens next.

We have Dany, who is tiny. Then, the next most tipped to be a rider is Tyrion, who is a dwarf.

This makes me think weight will be the critical factor deciding who rides. If Rhaegal and Viserion remain too small to carry a full-grown adult, maybe it will be Bran who does actually get to fly. So he does get out of the cave, and could actually be lord of Winterfell, and everything changes....

"My thanks." There was something about the pale, soft youth that he misliked, but he did not want to seem discourteous, so he added, "My name's not Slayer, truly. I'm Sam. Samwell Tarly."

"I'm Pate," the other said, "like the pig boy."

Samwell V, Feast 45

I see what you did there.

On 1/24/2017 at 7:48 AM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-samsung&q=Littlefinger+behind+Robert's+rebellion&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPztShm9_RAhWMOiYKHS--DDQQvwUIFigA&biw=601&bih=962

Take your pick. 

On 1/24/2017 at 6:13 PM, Isobel Harper said:

I read that thread too. It was on these forums, though I forget the title.  

I've considered this as well.  

So much for thinking I had an original thought. 

4 hours ago, Ebrose said:

Hey guys, don't know if it has been noted before, but the link to the 2nd thread of this topic included in the OP doesn't work. I think should be replaced with THIS ONE. All other links seem fine, though.

Fixed. (There are some real gems in those older threads.)

I

The other lingered. "Are you bound for the wedding, ser?"

Something in his tone made Dunk want to tug his forelock. He resisted the impulse and said, "We're for the ferry, m'lord."

"As are we ... but the only lords hereabouts are Gormy and that wastrel who just left us, Alyn Cockshaw. I am a vagabond hedge knight like yourself.

Ser John the Fiddler, I am called."

The Mystery Knight

Wow, I never noticed that Dunk immediately felt that he should show deference to Daemon II.

Of course the storyteller pointed it out later...

"If you like, I could ask my men to look for him."

My men. Dunk did not like the sound of that. A tourney for traitors, he thought. "You are no hedge knight."

"No." The Fiddler's smile was full of boyish charm. "But you knew that from the start. You have been calling me m'lord since we met upon the road, why is that?"

"The way you talk. The way you look. The way you act." Dunk the lunk, thick as a castle wall. 

II

John the Fiddler paid the older man no mind. "I would love to cross swords with you, ser. I've tried men of many lands and races, but never one your size. Was your father large as well?"

The Mystery Knight

John the Fiddler was a ho.

I

There are only three “white worms” in the books...

"Do you fear death?"

She bit her lip. "No."

"Let us see." The priest lowered his cowl. Beneath he had no face; only a yellowed skull with a few scraps of skin still clinging to the cheeks, and a white worm wriggling from one empty eye socket. "Kiss me, child," he croaked, in a voice as dry and husky as a death rattle.

Does he think to scare me? Arya kissed him where his nose should be and plucked the grave worm from his eye to eat it, but it melted like a shadow in her hand.

The yellow skull was melting too, and the kindliest old man that she had ever seen was smiling down at her. "No one has ever tried to eat my worm before," he said. "Are you hungry, child?"

Yes, she thought, but not for food.

Arya I, Feast 6

"Aye, that may well be," Ser Kyle said, "but many would welcome the return of Bittersteel. Bloodraven is the root of all our woes, the white worm gnawing at the heart of the realm."

The Mystery Knight

Mysaria was the name she went by, though her rivals and enemies called her Misery, the White Worm.

The Rogue Prince

The face of death, Bloodraven, and Mysaria.. Is there a connection?

II

"How can the truth be treason?" asked Kyle the Cat. "In King Daeron's day, a man did not have to fear to speak his mind, but now?" He made a rude noise. "Bloodraven put King Aerys on the Iron Throne, but for how long? Aerys is weak, and when he dies, it will be bloody war between Lord Rivers and Prince Maekar for the crown, the Hand against the heir."

"You have forgotten Prince Rhaegel, my friend," Ser Maynard objected, in a mild tone. "He comes next in line to Aerys, not Maekar, and his children after him."

"Rhaegel is feeble-minded. Why, I bear him no ill will, but the man is good as dead, and those twins of his as well, though whether they will die of Maekar's mace or Bloodraven's spells ..."

Seven save us, Dunk thought as Egg spoke up shrill and loud. "Prince Maekar is Prince Rhaegel's brother. He loves him well. He'd never do harm to him or his."

The Mystery Knight

I was so sure this foreshadowed Bloodraven attempting to rule the realm through Rhaegel’s children, and Maekar marching on King’s Landing to seize the Iron Throne and toss Bloodraven into the black cells. I wonder if the George changed his ind, or if this was just a feint?

I

They met beneath the viewing stand where Lord and Lady Butterwell sat on their cushions in the shade of the castle walls. Lord Frey was beside them, dandling his snot-nosed son on one knee. A row of serving girls was fanning them, yet Lord Butterwell's damask tunic was stained beneath the arms, and his lady's hair was limp from perspiration. She looked hot, bored, and uncomfortable, but when she saw Dunk, she pushed out her chest in a way that turned him red beneath his helm. He dipped his lance to her and her lord husband. Ser Uthor did the same. Butterwell wished them both a good tilt. His wife stuck out her tongue.

The Mystery Knight

What the hell was that for?

II

Outside, Dunk glimpsed a hawk soaring in wide circles through the bright blue sky. He envied him. A few clouds were gathering to the east, dark as Dunk's mood. As he found his way back to the tilting ground, the sun beat down on his head like a hammer on an anvil. The earth seemed to move beneath his feet ... or it might just be that he was swaying. He had almost fallen twice climbing the cellar steps. I should have heeded Egg.

The Mystery Knight

At Redgrass Fied, Baelor was the hammer and Maekar was the anvil. Maekar later killed Baelor with a blow to the head from his mace, which is like a hammer, while Baelor was championing Dunk against Maekar’s son.

III

I've bumped my bean on every beam in every inn from Lannisport to King's Landing,

The Mystery Knight

"Aye, but my head is not so apt to knock upon the ceiling."

Breinne I, Feast 4

"Aye, but my head is not so apt to knock upon the ceiling."

Breinne II, Feast 9

The cellar was dim and the ceiling low, and Brienne thumped her head on a beam as she entered.

Brienne II, Feast 14

She slipped sideways through the postern, ducking her head to pass beneath the doorway's arch.

Brienne IV, Feast 20

Brienne had to duck when entering to keep from banging her head against the lintel.

Brienne VI, Feast 31

She had to bend her neck to keep from hitting her head as they marched her through the twisting passage.

Breinne VIII, Feast 42

IV

By what right did Ser Glendon claim the name Ball and his natural father’s arms in The Mystery Knight?

The prince nodded at the battered shield Dunk carried, and the winged chalice upon its face. “By law, only a trueborn son is entitled to inherit a knight’s arms. You must needs find a new device, ser, a sigil of your own.”

The Hedge Knight

Archived