Wow, I never noticed that v.15

Lost Melnibonean

59 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

At Redgrass Fied, Baelor was the hammer and Maekar was the anvil. Maekar later killed Baelor with a blow to the head from his mace, which is like a hammer, while Baelor was championing Dunk against Maekar’s son.

I did an analysis of nail references in the books (toward the bottom of that linked post). There is a sort of "evolution" of nails, which will continue in TWoW. "Humans as nails" will be a late development in the evolution, but it could fit with the "Humans as weapons" motif that has been clear.

On January 26, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

II

The Mystery Knight

John the Fiddler paid the older man no mind. "I would love to cross swords with you, ser. I've tried men of many lands and races, but never one your size. Was your father large as well?

John the Fiddler was a ho.

Even though he meant as in actual combat/sparring, hence his being brought up and being trained across the Narrow Sea, although it is funny to think he was insinuating sexual relations 

37 minutes ago, Prince Brightfyre said:

Even though he meant as in actual combat/sparring, hence his being brought up and being trained across the Narrow Sea, although it is funny to think he was insinuating sexual relations 

He was. 

@Lost Melnibonean How so?

"Well met, ser. Come, ride with us to Whitewalls and break a few lances to help Lord Butterwell celebrate his new marriage. I'll wager you could give a good account of yourself." -said John the Fiddler 

"Ser Duncan needs to be about his journey, as do we." the Lord with the three castles on his shield said. John the Fiddler paid the older man no mind. 

then we have the quote in question.

John the Fiddler paid the older man no mind. "I would love to cross swords with you, ser. I've tried men of many lands and races, but never one your size. Was your father large as well?

He was merely speaking tourney wise, sizing him up, making a friendly competitive bet/challenge. 

then: 

The Fiddler turned to the Lord of the three castles. "We should ask Ser Duncan to join our jolly company"- 

"We do not need his sort." said Gorman Peake

"His sort?" The Fiddler laughed"What sort is that? The big sort? Look at the size of him. We want strong men. Young swords are worth more than old names, I've oft heard it said"

and then the Fiddler said "Perchance we'll meet again someday. I hope so. I should love to try my lance on you."

the way I see it is only as them talking in a knightly context. John the Fiddler knows that he is going to prove his claim for the Iron Throne through prowess at the tourney, which winning will give him a highly coveted dragon egg. This will be his pretext for leading the second Blackfyre rebellion 

Ser Maynard said "[Butterwell] had doubts about this plot from the beginning, doubts that were inflamed when he learned that the boy did not bear the sword. And this morning his dragon's egg vanished, and with it the last dregs of his courage."

"Khaleesi, " whispered Irri, "you must not touch the dead man. It is bad luck to touch the dead."

"Unless you killed them yourself." Jhiqui was bigger-boned than Irri, with wide hips and heavy breasts. "That is known."

"It is known," Irri agreed.

Shrugging off the lion pelt, she knelt beside the corpse and closed the dead man's eyes, ignoring Jhiqui's gasp

Daenerys I, Dance 2

Might as well sucked on a lemon. The gods are not mocked, girl. 

On 29/01/2017 at 5:08 AM, Prince Brightfyre said:

@Lost Melnibonean How so?

then we have the quote in question.

He was merely speaking tourney wise, sizing him up, making a friendly competitive bet/challenge. 

then: 

the way I see it is only as them talking in a knightly context. John the Fiddler knows that he is going to prove his claim for the Iron Throne through prowess at the tourney, which winning will give him a highly coveted dragon egg. This will be his pretext for leading the second Blackfyre rebellion 

Given that Daemon is an awful jouster and the practice is primarily Westerosi, it is pretty unlikely that he had gone up against men from across the world. Nor does 'tried' make much sense other than as innuendo. Also, GRRM confirmed Daemon to be gay.

On 27/01/2017 at 9:22 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

I

The Mystery Knight

What the hell was that for?

From what we know of her, it seems pretty in character for Lady Butterwell to be flirting.

24 minutes ago, Prince Brightfyre said:

@Horse of Kent thank you so much. I wish I never spoke, because the way you put that for me is rather clear and I'm kicking myself for my argument that I thought was so valid. @Lost Melnibonean my apologies as well if I came across being rude with my argument. 

Not at all. 

There could be a parallel between Aenys I and Maegor that Grrm will be setting up between Aegon and Jon.  Both are half-brothers, one might have been resurrected with fire magic.  (If Jon does get resurrected.)

I'm gonna go through Sons of the Dragon with a fine-toothed comb. 

52 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

There could be a parallel between Aenys I and Maegor that Grrm will be setting up between Aegon and Jon.  Both are half-brothers, one might have been resurrected with fire magic.  (If Jon does get resurrected.)

I'm gonna go through Sons of the Dragon with a fine-toothed comb. 

Or perhaps we could see analogies between the role of the Faith then and now that might gives us clues of what to look for in Winds. (I really don't care about fake history--I only care about how it fits on ASOIAF's own wheel of time.) 

“Good,” said Stannis, “for I will suffer no other kings in Westeros.”

Stannis to Jon, Jon I, Dance 3

Stannis will not be backing Jon. 

ETA

Not only does Stannis closely resemble the Night’s King for taking the Nightfort as his royal seat, but he tries to claim much of the rest of the Wall to do him fealty...

"I know that. It makes no matter. They are all we have. There are nineteen forts along the Wall, and you have men in only three of them. I mean to have every one of them garrisoned again before the year is out."

"I have no quarrel with that, Sire, but it is being said that you also mean to grant these castles to your knights and lords, to hold as their own seats as vassals to Your Grace."

"The stones of those forts are mortared with the blood and bones of my brothers, long dead. I cannot give them to you."

Jon I, Dance 3

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Stannis to Jon, Jon I, Dance 3

Stannis will not be backing Jon. 

ETA

Not only does Stannis closely resemble the Night’s King for taking the Nightfort as his royal seat, but he tries to claim much of the rest of the Wall to do him fealty...

Jon I, Dance 3

Oh I like this. Jon as the NK never really worked for me. This makes more sense.

The serving girls tried to talk to her when they brought her meals, but she never answered them. Once Grand Maester Pycelle came with a box of flasks and bottles, to ask if she was ill. He felt her brow, made her undress, and touched her all over while her bedmaid held her down. When he left he gave her a potion of honeywater and herbs and told her to drink a swallow every night. She drank it all right then and went back to sleep.  AGoT Sansa VI 

What?!

50 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

The serving girls tried to talk to her when they brought her meals, but she never answered them. Once Grand Maester Pycelle came with a box of flasks and bottles, to ask if she was ill. He felt her brow, made her undress, and touched her all over while her bedmaid held her down. When he left he gave her a potion of honeywater and herbs and told her to drink a swallow every night. She drank it all right then and went back to sleep.  AGoT Sansa VI 

What?!

That was right after she... um... flowered, right? Maybe they were checking to see if the bleeding hadn't been caused by something else? 

Archived