Wow, I never noticed that v.15

Lost Melnibonean

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I recall thinking that was odd, but there's no other suggestion of any funny business going on, is there? 

Nothing between Pycelle and Sansa that I am aware of, but the servant he sleeps with is described as a 'young girl', 'girl' and a 'child' by Ned, Tyrion and Pycelle respectively. Actually how young that is I don't know.

I would have thought Sansa would know if Pycelle's examination was less than innocent.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

Nothing between Pycelle and Sansa that I am aware of, but the servant he sleeps with is described as a 'young girl', 'girl' and a 'child' by Ned, Tyrion and Pycelle respectively. Actually how young that is I don't know.

I would have thought Sansa would know if Pycelle's examination was less than innocent.

I'm not aware of anything else either. 

People put a lot of faith and trust in doctors, in real life and in the series.  Sansa may not be fully aware of what happened to her, or perhaps repressed it. 

Daenerys is as bad as Sansa...

Dragons are fire made flesh. She had read that in one of the books Ser Jorah had given her as a wedding gift.

Daenerys I, Dance 2

Last of the three seekers to depart was Quaithe the shadowbinder. From her Dany received only a warning. "Beware," the woman in the red lacquer mask said.

"Of whom?"

"Of all. They shall come day and night to see the wonder that has been born again into the world, and when they see they shall lust. For dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power."

Daenerys II, Clash 27

Next she’ll be telling us that Jorah never kissed her.

Stannis raising Davos to Hand with "Lightbringer":

Davos knelt, and Stannis drew his longsword. Lightbringer, Melisandre had named it; the red sword of heroes, drawn from the fires where the seven gods were consumed. The room seemed to grow brighter as the blade slid from its scabbard. The steel had a glow to it; now orange, now yellow, now red. The air shimmered around it, and no jewel had ever sparkled so brilliantly. But when Stannis touched it to Davos’s shoulder, it felt no different than any other longsword. “Ser Davos of House Seaworth,” the king said, “are you my true and honest liege man, now and forever?” (Davos IV, ASOS)

Arthur knighting Jaime with Dawn:

It had been years since his last vigil. And I was younger then, a boy of fifteen years. He had worn no armor then, only a plain white tunic. The sept where he'd spent the night was not a third as large as any of the Great Sept's seven transepts. Jaime had laid his sword across the Warrior's knees, piled his armor at his feet, and knelt upon the rough stone floor before the altar. When dawn came his knees were raw and bloody. "All knights must bleed, Jaime," Ser Arthur Dayne had said, when he saw. "Blood is the seal of our devotion." With Dawn he tapped him on the shoulder; the pale blade was so sharp that even that light touch cut through Jaime's tunic, so he bled anew. He never felt it. A boy knelt; a knight rose. The Young Lion, not the Kingslayer. (Jaime I, AFFC)

I thought this contrast was interesting in light of the theory that Dawn is, or was, Lightbringer.

15 minutes ago, Shmedricko said:

Stannis raising Davos to Hand with "Lightbringer":

Arthur knighting Jaime with Dawn:

I thought this contrast was interesting in light of the theory that Dawn is, or was, Lightbringer.

Then wouldn't Jaime have felt heat? 

1 minute ago, desire said:

That pate died of a heart attacked ugh so simple the same way Arya got the insurance fraud. But is the Faceless men now pate? can they change there size weight or is it just there face ?

Yes, the faceless man that paid Arya's debt killed Pate and took his identity. How completely they can change their share remains to be seen. But I think you might gain some understanding of what's possible by taking another look at Jon's observations of Mance glamored as Rattleshirt. 

Just noticed this, really have no idea what it could mean.

"Riders are taken, questioned," he answered. "Ravens are brought down …" A spasm of pain took him, and his fingers clutched hers hard. "The crabs are in my belly … pinching, always pinching. Day and night. They have fierce claws, the crabs. Maester Vyman makes me dreamwine, milk of the poppy … I sleep a lot … but I wanted to be awake to see you, when you came. I was afraid … when the Lannisters took your brother, the camps all around us … I was afraid I would go, before I could see you again … I was afraid …"

Cat XI - GOT

"—may sit the Seastone Chair, aye." Euron glanced about the tent. "As it happens I have oft sat upon the Seastone Chair of late. It raises no objections." His smiling eye was glittering. "Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air . . . I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy . . . protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence." He laughed. "Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray."

The Iron Captain - AFFC

How does Euron know what Hoster Tully was praying for?  Its the only two times we see "crabs in my belly" appear that I can find.

16 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

How does Euron know what Hoster Tully was praying for?  Its the only two times we see "crabs in my belly" appear that I can find.

I was under the impression that he was talking about hearing that prayer in the sense that "crabs" in the belly is a term/phrase used for a painful stomach illness among many people, not just Hoster Tully. I could be wrong though, that was just my first hunch. 

33 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

I think it's just a description for painful, pinching abdominal symptoms. 

Yet as one smell drew them onward, others warned them back. He sniffed at the drifting smoke. Men, many men, many horses, and fire, fire, fire. No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff of man-claws and hardskin. The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. Behind the cliffs tall fires were eating up the stars.

Did Bran via Summer just see a dragon over Winterfell or am I crazy?

2 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Korax is the Greek word for raven. 

All Targaryen dragons whose names end in -rax or -raxes fought for the Blacks in the Dance of the Dragons. 

:blink: This is an awesome find :thumbsup: What a cool detail.

14 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Did Bran via Summer just see a dragon over Winterfell or am I crazy?

The best explanation I've seen is that the Sack of Winterfell echoes the events at the Tower of Joy (where people suspect a metaphorical dragon was born) and the ritual at MMD's tent (which led to literal dragons being born), so Summer was seeing the magical echo of the birth of a dragon. From @Kingmonkey's The Puppets of Ice and Fire thread:

The Fall of Winterfell
I'm rather unsure about this one in ACoK ch.66, but there are a couple of points that make me want to include this as another possible echo.

There is a parley outside the walls before the fight, and a young maiden held hostage inside (Beth Cassel). We get the line "His seventeen might kill three, four, five times their own number " which has a faint echo of seven against three, and when Ramsey intervenes, he drops the bodies of three leaders, Rodrick Cassel, Leobald Tallheart, and Cley Cerwin, at the gates. Ramsey is met by three at the castle too, Theon, Black Lorren and Maester Luwin. Theon says "I will not run", like the Kingsguards who do not flee. The scene takes place at evening, when "sun was low in the west, painting the fields and houses all a glowing red" and there's an odd detail "The crows came in the blue dust" - an odd colour for drifting motes, reminiscent of "a storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky". Ramsey's men "rode out of the drifting smoke", more smoke/shadow imagery. We even have another Cassel dying. These echoes seem hard on House Cassel.

The scene ends with the destruction of Winterfell, just as the tent was burned, or the Tower of Joy was torn down. Theon's horse is on fire, "kicking free of the burning stables with his mane ablaze, screaming, rearing", which is similar to Dany's vision at the funeral pyre of "a horse, a great grey stallion limned in smoke, its flowing mane a nimbus of blue flame."

This may help explain a mystery in Bran's next chapter, ACoK ch.69. "The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. " This line has puzzled many readers and given rise to a lot of speculation. If the fall of Winterfell echoed the events at the tent that lead to the birth of dragons, then we can speculate that what Summer saw was a magical echo of the birth of a dragon, too. A little earlier, in ACoK ch.28, Maester Luwin told Bran that "Perhaps magic was once a mighty force in the world, but no longer. What little remains is no more than the wisp of smoke that lingers in the air after a great fire has burned out, and even that is fading."

The street curved where the river met the sea, and there along the bend a number of animal sellers were clustered together, offering jeweled lizards, giant banded snakes, and agile little monkeys with striped tails and clever pink hands. “Perhaps your silver queen would like a monkey,” said Gerris.

The Merchant's Man, Dance 6

A twisted little monkey demon, who was a clever hand of the king. 

From one of the four very best TV series ever...

Lucius Vorenus: Those who will not do business with me are my enemies. 
Gaius Ignis Acerbo: And? 
Lucius Vorenus: And they will die sooner than they think. 
[the Aventine captains start to their feet] 
Memmio: Remember blessed Concord! 
[he gestures to the statue of the goddess] 
Memmio: No menaces. 
Lucius Vorenus: [derisively] Concord! 
[he walks slowly to the statue, then grabs it and smashes it against the wall] 
Lucius Vorenus: I am the son of Hades! I fuck Concord in her ARSE!

Rome: Son of Hades (2.2) (2007)

“Master? Fuck that. Are you a slave? Come with us and be your own master. Do you want to die abed? We’ll teach you sword and spear. You’ll ride to battle with the Tattered Prince and come home richer than a lord. Boys, girls, gold, whatever you want, if you’re man enough to take it. We’re the Windblown, and we fuck the goddess slaughter up her arse.”

The Merchant's Man, Dance 6

I guess the George liked Rome too. 

"Your Grace." Catelyn had waited patiently, but time grew short. "You promised me a word."

". . . Let the assembled lords of the Seven Kingdoms choose who shall rule them."

. . . Brienne's strength held him up. She threw back her head and screamed, wordless in her anguish.

(ACoK, Catelyn IV)

The sword or the noose, she says. Choose, she says. Choose."

. . . She screamed a word.

(AFfC, VIII)

Catelyn and Brienne at two would-be executions. Renly's last word is "Cold." We are told in an SSM that Brienne says, "Sword." Hmm. What comes to mind when you think of a cold sword?

As they walk away from Renly's tent, Catelyn tells Brienne that she saw Stannis' shadow kill Renly. Brienne says, "I will kill him. . . . With my lord's own sword, I will kill him. I swear it. I swear it. I swear it." (ACoK, Catelyn IV) So this foreshadows her later promise to use the sword Oathkeeper to kill Kingslayer Jaime, except it's Catelyn's Lord's sword instead of Brienne's Lord's sword.

Archived