Hugo time! Your packet is available! 2018

Lily Valley

Today I binged on Game of Thrones season 6. Previously I'd only seen a couple of episodes, from the first season, and nothing beyond that.

I started with The Door and finished the season from there, so about 2/3 of the season. I gotta say I was seriously impressed by the nominated episode Battle of the Bastards. Wow, that fight sequence really got me. I was gonna place The Expanse at the top of my short-form ballot, but this one has to go above it.

The Hugo Awards will be streamed at 19:30 Helsinki time on Friday, August 11th.  Once the link is up, I'll post it.  That is 11:30 US Central time.  Me and Bex will be together somewhere drinking robustly and throwing popcorn.  @beniowa will join us via facetime or a fb thread or here or something.  Happy to hear y'all's thoughts as it goes down.  I'm already finagling to get the afternoon off for "professional development".  I'd hate to start a new thread for the day, but also hate to spoiler anyone.  

I finished Too Like the Lightning just in time.  I have many thoughts, nerds.  Be Prepared.  Like Mme. Z I am hoping to have a discussion here or elsewhere.  Not asking you to defend my objections, but perhaps to clarify some of my complaints and share your reasons for glee.

Final hours of Hugo voting.  I've ranked my Long Form editors and am doing a bit of homework on the Short Form editors that I didn't already know.  

Short form (non-book) was easy for me.  I don't really like the way TV episodes have taken over there at all.  I'd prefer to see whole story arks or seasons nominated in the Long Form category.  I think short form should be reserved for stuff like The Twilight Zone or, in this case, Black Mirror if you must go with visual media.  I have been DYING to see some podcasts in this category.  In the Long Form category, I don't really like most movies, so the absence of whole seasons until now has been very upsetting to me.  Stranger Things was my only nom that made it and it is definitely first.  I went with the Clipping album for Short Form since it's not a TV episode that's out of sequence.

I'm having some trouble with the Graphic Artist category.  I didn't get myself hard copies this year and that's the way I tend to read them.

Oh what a wonderful problem!  Too much good stuff to occupy my time!

On 14/07/2017 at 3:48 AM, Lily Valley said:

Felice, for whatever reason, I can't quote.  A Taste of Honey was my favorite and it is completely different than Wildeeps.  It stands alone and may not even be in the same world.  Please read.

Read it, and yep, it's great 8) Possibly Sorcerer will provide some additional insight into the world when I get round to that, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything vital.

On 13/07/2017 at 11:21 AM, williamjm said:

Being familiar with the theology and magic from the Chalion books probably helps a little bit as well although there's no direction connection

I think it helped a lot. Not having met Penric before wasn't a problem, but I suspect I'd have appreciated it a lot less without prior knowledge of the theology/magic of that world.

One more novella to read before the end of the day...

54 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

Short form (non-book) was easy for me.  I don't really like the way TV episodes have taken over there at all.  I'd prefer to see whole story arks or seasons nominated in the Long Form category.  I think short form should be reserved for stuff like The Twilight Zone or, in this case, Black Mirror if you must go with visual media.

Personally I think long form and short form should effectively be swapped - movies in short form, TV in long form. I'm not a huge fan of audio drama as a format.

54 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

I'm having some trouble with the Graphic Artist category.  I didn't get myself hard copies this year and that's the way I tend to read them.

Graphic Story? Yeah, it makes me want a monitor that rotates to portrait mode. Monstress, Saga, and Vision were my favourites.

@felice  Trying this....

Wilson "white voiced" himself a lot for Honey.  Please read Wildeeps.  As a New Orleanian, his dialogue and voice felt a lot more genuine than much of what I have read in a very long time.  He even has several nods to my beautiful city.  Many people without familiarity with AA dialect have been very put off by Wildeeps.  It is the most groundbreaking work I have seen (and I am no well read genius) in written S/F fiction using dialect since Riddley Walker.  It's beautiful.

Double Edit:  Most of my friends that are my age are totally bored with Coming Out stories.  We've had an overload this year on TV etc.  We're middle aged, btdt.  A Taste of Honey is a "nice safe coming out story"  Wildeeps is something completely fucking different.  It's just how things are. 

11 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

I finished Too Like the Lightning just in time.  I have many thoughts, nerds.  Be Prepared.  Like Mme. Z I am hoping to have a discussion here or elsewhere.  Not asking you to defend my objections, but perhaps to clarify some of my complaints and share your reasons for glee.

I think that could be an interesting discussion, while I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it there's definitely plenty to discuss. There doesn't seem to be a thread for the series yet, maybe there should be given how many people around here seem to have read it.

Short form (non-book) was easy for me.  I don't really like the way TV episodes have taken over there at all.  I'd prefer to see whole story arks or seasons nominated in the Long Form category.  I think short form should be reserved for stuff like The Twilight Zone or, in this case, Black Mirror if you must go with visual media.  I have been DYING to see some podcasts in this category.  In the Long Form category, I don't really like most movies, so the absence of whole seasons until now has been very upsetting to me.  Stranger Things was my only nom that made it and it is definitely first.  I went with the Clipping album for Short Form since it's not a TV episode that's out of sequence.

I think the trend in recent years towards season long story arcs does make it tricky to nominate individual episodes, so I agree things like Game of Thrones or The Expanse may make more sense in long form - I'd struggle to tell you which plot threads other than the one referred to in the title were in something like The Door without looking it up. 

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I think the trend in recent years towards season long story arcs does make it tricky to nominate individual episodes, so I agree things like Game of Thrones or The Expanse may make more sense in long form - I'd struggle to tell you which plot threads other than the one referred to in the title were in something like The Door without looking it up. 

I heartily agree. OTOH, when we put a whole season of a TV series (10 or more hours) up against a movie (roughly 2 hours), that seems to put the movie at a disadvantage.

Medium form? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2017 at 3:18 PM, williamjm said:

I think that could be an interesting discussion, while I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it there's definitely plenty to discuss. There doesn't seem to be a thread for the series yet, maybe there should be given how many people around here seem to have read it.

Yeah, I'd post in a Too Like The Lightning spoiler thread.  (Or maybe a general series thread, for those of us who've read Seven Surrenders as well.)

2017 World Fantasy Award Finalists

Best Novel

Best Long Fiction

The winner of the Arthur C. Clarke Award for best science fiction novel published in 2016 has been announced:

Victor LaValle’s 'The Ballad of Black Tom' is going to be adapted for tv

The Ballad of Black Tom, from Tor.com Publishing, is a finalist for the Hugo, Nebula, Locus, British Fantasy, World Fantasy, and Bram Stoker Awards, won the Shirley Jackson and This is Horror Award for Novella of the Year, and was named one of NPR‘s Best Books of 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice set of winners :)

BEST NOVEL

The Obelisk Gate, by N. K. Jemisin (Orbit Books)

BEST NOVELLA

Every Heart a Doorway, by Seanan McGuire (Tor.com publishing)

BEST NOVELETTE

“The Tomato Thief”, by Ursula Vernon (Apex Magazine, January 2016)

BEST SHORT STORY

“Seasons of Glass and Iron”, by Amal El-Mohtar (The Starlit Wood: New Fairy Tales, Saga Press)

BEST RELATED WORK

Words Are My Matter: Writings About Life and Books, 2000-2016, by Ursula K. Le Guin (Small Beer)

BEST GRAPHIC STORY

Monstress, Volume 1: Awakening, written by Marjorie Liu, illustrated by Sana Takeda (Image)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION, LONG FORM

Arrival, screenplay by Eric Heisserer based on a short story by Ted Chiang, directed by Denis Villeneuve (21 Laps Entertainment/FilmNation Entertainment/Lava Bear Films)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION, SHORT FORM

The Expanse: “Leviathan Wakes”, written by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, directed by Terry McDonough (SyFy)

BEST EDITOR, SHORT FORM

Ellen Datlow

BEST EDITOR, LONG FORM

Liz Gorinsky

BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST

Julie Dillon

BEST SEMIPROZINE

Uncanny Magazine, edited by Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas, Michi Trota, Julia Rios, and podcast produced by Erika Ensign & Steven Schapansky

BEST FANZINE

Lady Business, edited by Clare, Ira, Jodie, KJ, Renay, and Susan

BEST FANCAST

Tea and Jeopardy, presented by Emma Newman with Peter Newman

BEST FAN WRITER

Abigail Nussbaum

BEST FAN ARTIST

Elizabeth Leggett

BEST SERIES
(Special Category added by option of Worldcon 75)

The Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)

THE JOHN W. CAMPBELL AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER (Not a Hugo Award, but administered along with the Hugo Awards)

(from http://www.thehugoawards.org/

a nice overview with the nominees on tor.com amongst others http://www.tor.com/2017/08/11/2017-hugo-award-winners/)

As always the voting and nomination information is interesting as well, which are available as pdf

http://www.worldcon.fi/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/HugoReport1_voting.pdf

http://www.worldcon.fi/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/HugoReport2_nominations.pdf

I was laughing at the vote breakdowns -- VD only got 32 votes on the final ballot, while the next lowest number was 168. Gotta be embarrassing.

And I was startled by Jemisin -- I expected All the Birds in the Sky to win -- but Jemisin got the most nominating votes too. I was just outta the loop on that one!

And YAY to Ada Palmer for the Campbell. I predicted months ago that she'd win it -- I'm feeling very prescient. B)

. . . . Personally, it's  Octavia Butler'sKindred I'd prefer to become an Ava Duvernay prestige television project  (who brings the classic Wrinkle in Time to the  movie screen next year)

1246820.jpg

However, Kindred's a stand stand-alone, whileXenogenesis / Lilith's Brood, are three works --Dawn, Adulthood Rites, and Imago -- here's the potential for three SF seasons.

ava-duvernay-premiere-selma-02.jpg

The bit doesn't say to which television congloms DuVernay has pitched. I hope not the SyFy Channel.  DuVernay's recent (2016) documentary, 13th (titled after the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution), streams on Netflix.  I've really liked her series, Queen Sugar, co-produced with Oprah Winfrey for Winfrey's OWN Network. 

If you all don't recall, Duvernay first received bold-face prominence with her film, Selma, dramatizing the events around Dr. King's march from Selma to Birmingham.

Archived