Lily Valley

Hugo time! Awards Announced Aug. 11th

283 posts in this topic

As a point of interest.

"Seasons of Glass and Iron" by Amal El-Mohtar has now won Nebula, Locus and Hugo awards, and is still on the ballot for the World Fantasy Award.

Posted (edited)

On 12/08/2017 at 0:38 AM, Contrarius+ said:

I was laughing at the vote breakdowns -- VD only got 32 votes on the final ballot, while the next lowest number was 168. Gotta be embarrassing.

The interesting thing, Puppy-wise, is that we pretty much know for a fact how many nominating ballots they submitted because of the new nominating system. Remember, if you nominate only one thing in a category, that nominee gets a whole point. Puppy nominators therefore nominated only one thing in each category to concentrate their fire* and indeed, we can see from the stats that Wright, Day and the rest got scores identical or nearly identical to the number of nominating ballots. This allows us easily to calculate that there were 80-90 Puppies nominating.

When it comes to actual votes, though, 32 first preference votes for Vox Day was actually quite high for a Puppy nominee. The others got around 15-20. The exception was Wright, who got 58. I'm willing to believe that some portion of Wright's were from voters who genuinely liked the story: I haven't read it, but I can imagine such a thing. So probably half or more of the Puppy nominators disappeared before the vote, for one reason or another.

* had they not done this, the nominating stats suggest they'd have struggled to get on the ballot in at least two cases: Day and Wright. In fact, EPH seems to have helped the Puppies.

Edited by mormont

On 16/07/2017 at 3:23 PM, Lily Valley said:

Wilson "white voiced" himself a lot for Honey.  Please read Wildeeps.  As a New Orleanian, his dialogue and voice felt a lot more genuine than much of what I have read in a very long time.  He even has several nods to my beautiful city.  Many people without familiarity with AA dialect have been very put off by Wildeeps.

Just finished it. I'm afraid I enjoyed Honey more, but Wildeeps was certainly well worth reading. Took me a little while to really get into it, but the dialect wasn't as offputting as I'd feared.

On 16/07/2017 at 3:23 PM, Lily Valley said:

Double Edit:  Most of my friends that are my age are totally bored with Coming Out stories.

I know what you mean, but I thought Honey had enough else going on that I didn't have a problem with it.