Hugo time! Your packet is available! 2018

Lily Valley

As a point of interest.

"Seasons of Glass and Iron" by Amal El-Mohtar has now won Nebula, Locus and Hugo awards, and is still on the ballot for the World Fantasy Award.

On 12/08/2017 at 0:38 AM, Contrarius+ said:

I was laughing at the vote breakdowns -- VD only got 32 votes on the final ballot, while the next lowest number was 168. Gotta be embarrassing.

The interesting thing, Puppy-wise, is that we pretty much know for a fact how many nominating ballots they submitted because of the new nominating system. Remember, if you nominate only one thing in a category, that nominee gets a whole point. Puppy nominators therefore nominated only one thing in each category to concentrate their fire* and indeed, we can see from the stats that Wright, Day and the rest got scores identical or nearly identical to the number of nominating ballots. This allows us easily to calculate that there were 80-90 Puppies nominating.

When it comes to actual votes, though, 32 first preference votes for Vox Day was actually quite high for a Puppy nominee. The others got around 15-20. The exception was Wright, who got 58. I'm willing to believe that some portion of Wright's were from voters who genuinely liked the story: I haven't read it, but I can imagine such a thing. So probably half or more of the Puppy nominators disappeared before the vote, for one reason or another.

* had they not done this, the nominating stats suggest they'd have struggled to get on the ballot in at least two cases: Day and Wright. In fact, EPH seems to have helped the Puppies.

• 1 month later...
On 16/07/2017 at 3:23 PM, Lily Valley said:

Wilson "white voiced" himself a lot for Honey.  Please read Wildeeps.  As a New Orleanian, his dialogue and voice felt a lot more genuine than much of what I have read in a very long time.  He even has several nods to my beautiful city.  Many people without familiarity with AA dialect have been very put off by Wildeeps.

Just finished it. I'm afraid I enjoyed Honey more, but Wildeeps was certainly well worth reading. Took me a little while to really get into it, but the dialect wasn't as offputting as I'd feared.

On 16/07/2017 at 3:23 PM, Lily Valley said:

Double Edit:  Most of my friends that are my age are totally bored with Coming Out stories.

I know what you mean, but I thought Honey had enough else going on that I didn't have a problem with it.

• 3 months later...

NERDS!   Nominations for the 2018 Hugo Awards open soon.  My to-read list from last year is still so looooooooooong.   Give me some of your favorites!  I'm calling YOU, @beniowa and @Mlle. Zabzie and @LugaJetboyGirl-irra and EVERYONE ELSE.  Are we nominating for YA this year?  Are we?  ARE WE?  

Nebula recommended reading list is here:  https://www.sfwa.org/forum/reading/1-novel/

It has helped me figure out which category stuff goes in.  I'm thin on short stories this year.  Not surprising.  I moved and had to work early in the morning.  Early in the morning is when I usually eat short stories.  

Hey!  Whoa, been a long time since I posted on this board.  Yeah, we need to start talking about the Hugos soon.  Maybe we should start a new thread? 

Yeah, I think we will be nominating and voting on a YA award this year, though I don't think there's a name for it yet.  I have to admit that I forgot about it!

I'm afraid I'm a bit lite on the short stories myself as I've mainly been reading older stories.  I do have a bunch of novellas for the list, mostly from Tor.com. 

5 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

NERDS!   Nominations for the 2018 Hugo Awards open soon.  My to-read list from last year is still so looooooooooong.   Give me some of your favorites!  I'm calling YOU, @beniowa and @Mlle. Zabzie and @LugaJetboyGirl-irra and EVERYONE ELSE.  Are we nominating for YA this year?  Are we?  ARE WE? 

One problem is that I spent so much of last year reading the 2017 Hugo Nominees that it takes quite a lot of reading time away from reading new releases.

I think I'd probably consider these for Best Novel:

Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee

Luna : Wolf Moon by Ian McDonald

City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett

La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman

The Bear and the Serpent by Adrian Tchaikovsky

There are other eligible novels I read but I'm not sure they're quite good enough to be nominated such as James S.A. Corey's Persepolis Rising, Ian Esslemont's Deadhouse Landing, Ann Leckie's Provenance or Ada Palmer's Seven Surrenders.

For novella:

The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch

The Prisoner of Limnos by Lois McMaster Bujold

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee

Luna : Wolf Moon by Ian McDonald

The Bear and the Serpent by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Definitely agree with these.  And of course there's also Jemisin's The Stone Sky.  Some will probably nominate the book separately, but I'm trying to decide to nominate the whole trilogy for Best Series.

Some new and newish authors I think deserve to be looked at:
The Bear and the Nightingale, Katherine Arden
Amberlough, Lara Elene Donnelly
Above the Timberline, Gregory Manchess
Amatka, Karin Tidbeck

For Novellas I like:
In Calabria, Peter Beagle
River of Teeth and A Taste of Marrow, Sarah Gailey
Passing Strange, Ellen Klages
The Refrigerator Monologues, Catherynne Valente
The Black Tide of Heaven and The Red Threads of Fortune, J.Y. Yang

I finished The Bear and the Nightingale.  I liked it, but not nearly as much as some others I read last year.

Are we nominating 7 with the new system?  If so, it'll likely make the cut.  

Thus far, I've got

Novels:

The Changeling by Victor Lavalle

Stone Sky by NK Jemisin  I am also looking at nominating this for Best Series, what are the rules if individual books are Hugo winners?  I'll need to look into that.  It was the best book of the series, in my opinion.

Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee  This book had none of the exposition problems that Ninefox Gambit was plagued with.

Other books I read that are eligible and were pretty good:

Provenance by Anne Leckie

The Clockwork Boys (this was half a book) T. Kingfisher

La Belle Sauvage Phillip Pullman 

The Bear and the Nightingale

Currently reading the eligible books:

Autonomous by Annalee Newitz

The Stars are Legion by Kameron Hurley

Shorter stuff:

Will for sure nominate:The Lamentation of their Women by Kai Ashante Wilson

Possibles:

River of Teeth and Taste of Marrow by Sarah Gailey

Fisher of Bones by Sarah Gailey

Prisoner of Limnos by Louis McMaster Bujold

I tend to flesh out this category late.

I tried to read All Systems Red (Murderbot #1)  I couldn't get over the voice.  Reads like a cranky teenager in 1st person.  Not for me.

The J.Y. Yang Novellas are in my queue.

Oh and FYI, F&SF magazine is on sale for $5/ year subscription at amazon.  I'll repost this in the deals thread.

Edit:   Cat Rambo's roundup of eligible works!  http://www.kittywumpus.net/blog/2017/12/08/lists-of-2017-award-eligible-work-blog-posts-roundups-for-fsf/

23 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Stone Sky by NK Jemisin  I am also looking at nominating this for Best Series, what are the rules if individual books are Hugo winners?  I'll need to look into that.  It was the best book of the series, in my opinion.

The Vorkosigan Saga won the award last year and many of the individual novels have won Hugos in the past.

Are we nominating 7 with the new system?  If so, it'll likely make the cut.

It was 6 last year, although maybe they've changed the rules again and I didn't notice?

On 1/18/2018 at 0:37 PM, Lily Valley said:

Oh man, my brain can't figure out YA nominations at the moment. I've got to go back through my kindle to see what I read. Of of the top of my head, I liked Jae-Jones's Wintersong (a spec fic YA inspired by Labyrinth) but I don't remember it necessarily being Hugo worthy.

A Maggie Stiefvater, Libba Bray, and Leigh Bardugo both came out last year, which I still have to read for nomination purposes. 

I'll talk to some worldcon YA peeps to see if they have suggestions.

5 hours ago, LugaJetboyGirl-irra said:

Oh man, my brain can't figure out YA nominations at the moment. I've got to go back through my kindle to see what I read. Of of the top of my head, I liked Jae-Jones's Wintersong (a spec fic YA inspired by Labyrinth) but I don't remember it necessarily being Hugo worthy.

A Maggie Stiefvater, Libba Bray, and Leigh Bardugo both came out last year, which I still have to read for nomination purposes. 

I'll talk to some worldcon YA peeps to see if they have suggestions.

Did I miss a new Bardugo?  Nerds.  

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Is the Bear and the Nightingale eligible this year? Books that release in December/January always confuse the heck out of me.

Shoot.  Is The Power?  I've seen both 2016 and 2017 publication dates on that one.  Both books are on the Nebula recommended reading list.  So their US publication date was this year?  Another fuzzy area that always confuses me.  Haven't read The Power yet.

Absolutely loving Autonomous by Annalee Newitz.  About 25% in, very good characters and immediate hook.  Off to a great start.  This is a really tight story.

I think even if The Bear & The Nightingale was out in some bookstores in December 2016 it still counts as 2017 as the publication date for it listed in the book on the copyright page is January 2017.

Just as a point of clarification, how is something like Leigh Bardugo's book of short stories handled for nomination purposes?  If I remember correctly, it contains 3 short stories she published in prior years along with some new ones.  So can the book as a whole be nominated for something or is it excluded because of the previously published short stories?  In which case, can the new stories be nominated individually for the Best Short Story award?  (I actually have not read them yet so I have no idea if I would nominate them but might read them nowish if they could be nominated to see if I want to nominate them or not.)

17 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Just as a point of clarification, how is something like Leigh Bardugo's book of short stories handled for nomination purposes?  If I remember correctly, it contains 3 short stories she published in prior years along with some new ones.  So can the book as a whole be nominated for something or is it excluded because of the previously published short stories?  In which case, can the new stories be nominated individually for the Best Short Story award?  (I actually have not read them yet so I have no idea if I would nominate them but might read them nowish if they could be nominated to see if I want to nominate them or not.)

I don't think there's a category where an anthology would fit, since it's not a novel and it's not a single piece of short fiction. The new stories should be eligible individually.

17 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Just as a point of clarification, how is something like Leigh Bardugo's book of short stories handled for nomination purposes?

It's not, as far as I'm aware. The individual new stories can be nominated separately, but there's no category for fiction collections.

Thanks!  Guess I will read through them before nominations are due.

I actually read very little that qualifies or I would consider nomination worthy for this years nominations.  My nomination list will be very short I fear.

Anyone have any idea how many words "The Furthest Station" by Ben Aaronovitch is?  I just remember it was pretty short but I don't know if its Novella short or Novelette short.

16 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Anyone have any idea how many words "The Furthest Station" by Ben Aaronovitch is?  I just remember it was pretty short but I don't know if its Novella short or Novelette short.

I remember it was described as a novella.

Archived