Manderlys plan for the mean time?

Jadakiss

6 hours ago, myhalfgroat said:

I definitely agree that Manderly is on a suicide mission. what I'm not sure of is who he's focused on taking down with him. the Freys seem to be the ones he holds most accountable for the death of his son and the red wedding. so will it be worth it for him to attack the Freys once they are approaching Stannis. then hope to crush them completely? or will he hold off and let the Freys fight but not engage one way or the other?

the theory that I find most plausible is that the Freys are the vanguard and fall through the ice and Manderly's forces mop up the rest of them. Stannis sees he has an ally and they plot to get into Winterfell by having the Manderly's come back with Stannis's sword as proof of his defeat. after being admitted, Manderly either opens the gates or gives access to Stannis.

that seems the most likely, but I hope there are a few more layers to it. maybe it's just because Dance has been out so long now but I don't like this theory nearly as much as I once did. it'll be nice if we get a surprise from George but (with the huge fandom and all the time in between the books) I think about every angle has been explored in one theory or another.

either way, I'm digging how ballsy Wyman is. and the Frey pies after a parting gift is just great, sweet revenge while honoring the customs that they Freys broke.

I think this is one of the most likely ways it will go down. Only it won't be Manderly in person since he didn't/won't leave Winterfell because he can't ride and now is injured as well. 

I have the hunch that Stannis will end up killing or not believing them all. He's in a foreign region, and his allies are not trustable at best. He's got half a House that won't fight the other half (Umbers); another House whose treachery he discovers and unveils. And if now he watches as another House goes on betraying his enemies just before his eyes? The man may turn paranoid or intolerant to these little northern games. If lord Wyman don't go personally to Stannis (and I have reason to believe he won't) and convince him of his turncloaking (something, in essence, Stannis despises) I don't see a good prospect for the wanna be new allies from White Harbor. In short, all the people who marched with lord Manderly to Winterfell, by command of the Bolton, are doomed and on a suicide mission. I remember that they didn't send much military anyways. If the northern conspiracy is true, lord Manderly may not have counted on himself to be a main part of it, but an asset to weaken the Boltons at Winterfell. He's shown sick, he's old, he wants revenge and this is very transparent early as on Davos' POV.

WoW

Spoiler

Theon escaped Winterfell with fake Arya and surrendered to Stannis, which makes him a traitor to his former lord, and, by surrendering the girl (wether Stannis knows she's the fake deal or not) he's a turncloak as well. Stannis, well, chains him up to the wall and isn't exactly welcoming him as far I know. 

2 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

I have the hunch that Stannis will end up killing or not believing them all. He's in a foreign region, and his allies are not trustable at best. He's got half a House that won't fight the other half (Umbers); another House whose treachery he discovers and unveils. And if now he watches as another House goes on betraying his enemies just before his eyes? The man may turn paranoid or intolerant to these little northern games. If lord Wyman don't go personally to Stannis (and I have reason to believe he won't) and convince him of his turncloaking (something, in essence, Stannis despises) I don't see a good prospect for the wanna be new allies from White Harbor. In short, all the people who marched with lord Manderly to Winterfell, by command of the Bolton, are doomed and on a suicide mission. I remember that they didn't send much military anyways. If the northern conspiracy is true, lord Manderly may not have counted on himself to be a main part of it, but an asset to weaken the Boltons at Winterfell. He's shown sick, he's old, he wants revenge and this is very transparent early as on Davos' POV.

WoW

Hide contents

Theon escaped Winterfell with fake Arya and surrendered to Stannis, which makes him a traitor to his former lord, and, by surrendering the girl (wether Stannis knows she's the fake deal or not) he's a turncloak as well. Stannis, well, chains him up to the wall and isn't exactly welcoming him as far I know. 

Stanniss' only true friend is Davos, if someone is able to parlay for a minute and lets him know Davos is alive he will be very happy.  Lets not forget that most of his force is northmen.

3 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Stanniss' only true friend is Davos, if someone is able to parlay for a minute and lets him know Davos is alive he will be very happy.  Lets not forget that most of his force is northmen.

Yea, m'lord, we sent him to the land of cannibals and unicorns, but he'll be back shortly. I'm sure h'sokay. You just gotta trust us northmen. 

3 minutes ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Yea, m'lord, we sent him to the land of cannibals and unicorns, but he'll be back shortly. I'm sure h'sokay. You just gotta trust us northmen. 

Lol. He outta be back by now. he left like 45 chapters ago...

annnnnnnnnnd. the iron bank. everyone forgets about them.

and they have more $ than all the Houses left, combined.

$ always wins.

Archived