Spiderman: Homecoming

Rhom

I said this in the Civil War thread over the summer, but I liked how he started to tell Tony his origin and then Stark just blew him off.  I think it would be kind of funny if they used that as a running gag.  He gets ready to tell people about the spider bite and no one listens to him, they either get distracted or just don't care and go on.

It will also be interesting to see what kind of reception Spider-Man gets in universe.  In all his other film incarnations, he was this unique guy out there saving the world because he was the only one that could.  In this world, there are actual gods walking the streets and saving the day.  What's your big claim to fame kid?  You are kinda strong and can shoot webs?  Big whup.  We got a guy over here who can shrink himself to submolecular size and another guy who can manipulate space/time.  And those are the kind of boring ones...

40 minutes ago, Fez said:

+1

So long as its not another origin story I'll be at least sort of okay; the actor was pretty good in Civil War at least. But I can do without seeing Uncle Ben on screen again for the rest of my life.

And that is exactly it.  It should be more or less a given that most people going to these films would know the origin anyway.  If we could just have some super hero films that have a separate cast of characters other then what we have already seen on film before that would be really great.  I know the House of M will never be released on screen but I just want to see a Doctor Fate film before I die.  

53 minutes ago, Leap said:

I very much doubt this will be an origin story. Spider-Man was already active for 6 months before Civil War, and although releasing a film that doesn't roughly fit into the overall publication order - chronology the MCU has isn't impossible, it's certainly unlikely. Also, Peter doesn't have a real suit before Civil War, so if it was a film set before CW then all the Spidey scenes would feature a spandex + goggles abomination. 

I'm quite excited for the film. I mean, who doesn't love Spider-Man? I've found a lot to like from both the Maguire and Garfield iterations, but for me Holland is the one who combines Peter and Spider-Man most effectively. Also, Michael Keaton. 

They may have a flashback and have him explain how he received his powers to Tony Stark, since he wasn't able to in Civil War.

The first full trailer is being shown tonight (12/8) on Kimmel....

Although I liked Maguire and Garfield in the role, three of the five movies weren't good, and the first two TM flicks paled by Marvel/Disney standards.... IMO, this will be the first real Spider-Man flick.... Sony had no idea how to bring this character to the big screen

8 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

With Emma Stone as Mary Jane.  Perfect.

Emma Stone is a quality actor and it's a shame she is probably lost to the MCU because she got cast in what will hopefully be seen as a bit of a low point for Spider man movies. Would be cool of she put in a cameo as maybe one of Peter's high school teachers. She's 28, so she's definitely able to play the part of a high school teacher.

Homecoming is obviously not an origin movie since the teaser, if it's in the movie, puts the movie clearly post Civil War. Some sort of 2 minute flashback scene is OK to show this iteration's specifics of how he gets bitten, but after that, look forward, not back.

Also, I was more than happy with how Tom Holland played Spider Man / PP in Civil War. I think he's absolutely fine for the role. I am a Garfield fan and he was great as Spider Man, but I think Holland compares pretty well.

Also also, this movie will have Tony Stark and maybe (but probably not) Iron Man. So it already has more awesome in it that any previous Spidey movie.

9 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

The first full trailer is being shown tonight (12/8) on Kimmel....

Although I liked Maguire and Garfield in the role, three of the five movies weren't good, and the first two TM flicks paled by Marvel/Disney standards.... IMO, this will be the first real Spider-Man flick.... Sony had no idea how to bring this character to the big screen

Sony's still making this movie, so I guess prepare to be disappointed. Sure they are required to collaborate with Marvel/Disney to make sure the movie fits within the grand MCU scheme, but it's still a Sony production with Sony making decisions.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Also also, this movie will have Tony Stark and maybe (but probably not) Iron Man.

Whelp, that prediction didn't stand long.

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Definitely awesome.

Or perhaps I should say... amazing?!!?

Nope.  It was spectacular. 

I think I figured out why I don't really care for Holland, it's his voice.  He sounds whiny and scared all of the time. 

looks good. I was impressed by the effects with the avenger robbers - it looks like they are doing organic stunts/camera trickery rather than be lazy and use CGI. That or the CGI is very good there!

It looks like they've incorporated a lot of the elements from Miles Morales, Spider-man. Probably a good idea - I definitely like him having a friend to confide in rather than bottling his secret up all the time.

The RDJR scenes remind me of the one element I liked about the "Spidey as Stark's protege" arc in the comics. They often delivered some fun and I think this is even moreso with RDJR and a much younger Spidey. You know, they could give us another Uncle Ben tragedy down the line if RDJR's exit invovles Stark's death. That could be really powerful for Spidey and says a lot about the chemistry between the two characters and actors with only a handful of scenes to go off.

My one concern is the villain. I have faith in Keaton but not so sure about him (or should I say CGI him) when he's in his suit. We'll have to wait and see. There was a scene in the international trailer with a silhouette of keaton and for a second i thought "kraven the hunter". The advantage of him as a villain is that we get the actor the whole time - but I can see why they are reluctant to have a non-spectacle villain in a superfilm. I'm guessing we also saw a glimpse of Shocker in the trailer too - the goon with the weird gun?

There were also some fun call backs to earlier films in the trailer with the helicopter jump (love that he has the gliding webbing now) and the iconic "Spidey almost being torn apart trying to stop a disaster with a load of webbing" scene.

I think 2017 is going to be a good marvel year as this GOTG and Thor (there's no way a waitit film isn't going to be hilarious and the Team:Thor short highlighted that) are going to bring the joy to superheroes again. I'm sure DC will counterbalance that with deadly serious Wonder Woman and Justice League films. I can appreciate them being different they just need to work out how to be good as well.

47 minutes ago, Leap said:

- Zendaya (?) had one line in the trailer and it was ''Peter, where are you?''. There's gotta be a more interesting, less -every Spider-Man film- way to say that.

That's not Zendaya, that's Laura Harrier.
Zendaya is the 'you guys are losers' girl.

25 minutes ago, Leap said:

Alright, I've seen the trailer a few more times now to check who was who. I kinda thought Zendaya was a guy at first. I did not realise that Laura Harrier's character was in more than one scene, or that she was called Liz. I should be more observant :o

I also realised that the teacher is also in Orange is the New Black, which is pretty cool.

I read your comment and then a few minutes later came across this article from USA Today.

The young supporting cast includes Jacob Batalon as Peter’s best friend Ned Leeds, Laura Harrier as his dream girl Liz Allan, Tony Revolori as bully Flash Thompson and Zendaya as their classmate Michelle.

So all the nerd rage over Zendaya as MJ was full of sound and fury signifying nothing?  I had no idea who these people were playing. 

I also may be a bit weak on my Spidey backstory... I know about MJ, Gwen, Felicia Hardy, and the gal from the Bugle (Betty?); is Liz a name from the comics?  Or is she a new character?

No, Liz Allan is a minor character from the comics who did, indeed, go to high school with Peter Parker, dated Flash Thompson and later married Norman Osborn. I think 'Michelle' is an original character, though.

13 minutes ago, mormont said:

No, Liz Allan is a minor character from the comics who did, indeed, go to high school with Peter Parker, dated Flash Thompson and later married Norman Osborn. I think 'Michelle' is an original character, though.

Apparently there was a Michele Gonzalez who Peter briefly had a thing with post One More Day. This could be an adaptation of her.

Archived