Spiderman: Homecoming

Rhom

People have known about the Michelle thing since Zendaya was cast. The uproar occurred because it's rumored "Michelle" is a misdirect. The trade that claims Zendaya is Mary Jane is saying it'll be a surprise reveal in the movie. Considering how "frumpy" Zendaya looks in the trailer set pics, people are hypothesizing she'll receive a Homecoming makeover.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Looks good. Not familiar with the villain, but glad it's not the Green Goblin again.

Vulture is one of those villains that's been around forever, but definitely tends to get relegated to second tier status despite having a prominent position in the Sinister Six.

He was teased in the credits of ASM2 with the wings in the research area of Oscorp.

I'm interested to see where he gets his suit in the MCU.

From that USA Today article I linked above:

Keaton co-stars as the movie's resident bad guy Adrian Toomes , an average Joe with criminal tendencies and a wicked wing suit.

“The first time we see the Vulture is terrifying,” Holland teases. “It’s like a horror movie: really scary, very intense and shocking.”

The Spidey foe is different than other Marvel baddies such as Thanos and Ultron, Watts says. “It’s fun to think that if Spider-Man is a regular kid who becomes a superhero, there’s got to be a bunch of regular guys who become supervillains, too.”

I'm intrigued.

26 minutes ago, Rhom said:

From that USA Today article I linked above:

I'm intrigued.

I dunno. That sounds like a retread of Sandman from Rami's Spider-Man 3.

Chalk me up as another who is not enthused about this movie. Its not quite the origin story but its still a lot closer than I'd like. I wish the plot of the movie was whatever the plot of the next Spiderman movie will be.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I'm interested to see where he gets his suit in the MCU.

http://movieweb.com/spider-man-homecoming-villain-tinkerer/

It looks like The Tinkerer will be making an appearance as well, and will not just be a throw away, but will actually tie heavily into the plot. The Tinkerer is a genius level engineer who can create and invent complex and sophisticated gadgets from spare parts and leftovers. The rumor states that The Tinkerer will be building Vulture's suit from spare parts that were found in the wreckage of the Chitauri invasion of New York City, which of course took place in The Avengers.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I dunno. That sounds like a retread of Sandman from Rami's Spider-Man 3.

Chalk me up as another who is not enthused about this movie. Its not quite the origin story but its still a lot closer than I'd like. I wish the plot of the movie was whatever the plot of the next Spiderman movie will be.

Unless you've got a lot more info about the plot than I have, I think this is a bit premature.

5 minutes ago, mormont said:

Unless you've got a lot more info about the plot than I have, I think this is a bit premature.

The trailer clearly shows that he's not an established hero yet and that the overarching theme of the movie will be about him finding his place in the world. I've zero interest in seeing that plot play out again.

3 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

People have known about the Michelle thing since Zendaya was cast. The uproar occurred because it's rumored "Michelle" is a misdirect. The trade that claims Zendaya is Mary Jane is saying it'll be a surprise reveal in the movie. Considering how "frumpy" Zendaya looks in the trailer set pics, people are hypothesizing she'll receive a Homecoming makeover.

That'd be so lame, I really hope that's not the case. "Oh, Michelle's not my given name it's MARY OHHH WINK WINK"......nah. Just don't bother.

Trailer looks so good. Music, mixed with some funny and typical Spidey scenes, some action, Peter being nerdy as usual. Glad they're going with a younger version as Tom Holland will be their RDJ for many years, got the potential. RDJ hopefully won't take too much of time. He's important because Tony is to Peter like a father figure but we have others to shine too.

Glad they're taking notice from Spider-Man 2 train scenes with a ship this time. The best thing on the Sam Raimi trilogy.

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

The trailer clearly shows that he's not an established hero yet and that the overarching theme of the movie will be about him finding his place in the world. I've zero interest in seeing that plot play out again.

The film has to introduce the character to the Marvel Universe (at least, as a lead). Also, Peter's a teenager. So, there's a limit to how 'established' the film can make Spidey. It's not an origin story, they have established him as having a pre-existing low-level heroing career, I think they've done as much as they can. The 'emerging independence from a protective mentor' plot isn't that original but it's all in how you do it - as it is in any movie, really.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

No, Liz Allan is a minor character from the comics who did, indeed, go to high school with Peter Parker, dated Flash Thompson and later married Norman Osborn. I think 'Michelle' is an original character, though.

I just remember her being super racist in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics. 

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:

In some shots in the trailer it looks like he's wearing his original pre-Stark costume, which probably suggests some originish stuff. 

I would not say it's originish. Just like Tony changing suits every movie.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I would not say it's originish. Just like Tony changing suits every movie.

The trailer also suggests at some point in the film there's a minor falling out between the two. Peter may ditch the hi-tech suit for fears Stark has tracking devices present or it may be that Stark can remote deactivate the suit. Either way it doesn't have to mean there's any origin segments.

I think they should do what they did with "incredible hulk" and just summarise his origin in the titles. I think they did that in either the Raimi or ASM2 as well. It's all we need at this point.

I'm not really digging the Vulture suit. Seems like a waste of Keatons ability.

The spider appears to work as a button to loosen the suit, that seems problematic in a fight. Anyone hits him in the chest and the suit just falls off him.

Why is there a phone taped to his laptop?

I hope that Zendaya (really surprised I remembered that first try) line is different in the film, it doesn't seem to seq properly.

Donald Glover looks to be hanging around with a bad guy.

46 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

The spider appears to work as a button to loosen the suit, that seems problematic in a fight. Anyone hits him in the chest and the suit just falls off him.

After seeing your comment, I went back and looked.  It does look like he touches it right before taking off the suit as he talks to his buddy; but I really think he was just shrugging out of the outfit.  I don't think the Spider released any tension.

Donald Glover looks to be hanging around with a bad guy.

From comicbook.com they talk about the trailer in detail and discuss Glover's appearance.

Glover is seen standing in a forested area next to a white pick-up truck and and a man who might be actor Logan Marshall Green (who is rumored to be playing a villain) who is shooting a bright white light off into the sky with Shocker-type tech leading to a huge electrical explosion.

Based on this super-short scene alone, it doesn't seem like Glover is on the right team here. In fact, it looks like he may be supervising the man who is setting off the explosives, in a boss-type situation.

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

How come? Seems fine to me.

I just doesn't seem to fit to me. 'We should probably stop before it gets creepy though.' 'yeah.'         'Too late. You guys are losers.'
It feels like a weird interaction to me.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

After seeing your comment, I went back and looked.  It does look like he touches it right before taking off the suit as he talks to his buddy; but I really think he was just shrugging out of the outfit.  I don't think the Spider released any tension.

There's a noticeable swish noise when he touches it and the neck goes from tight to loose enough to come off his shoulders, you can see it goes all the way around the back before he removes it, so it's not undone. Plus he's not really moving his shoulders enough to shrug out of anything.

On 9/12/2016 at 7:00 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Whelp, that prediction didn't stand long.

Glad it didn't last long. It does look a little bit like the villain might be too much of a challenge for noob Spider Man so it will need to be a team effort.

I get the feeling we're possibly done with solo Iron Man movies so he'll only turn up in Avengers and other character's solo movies.

Was a good trailer. Not sure how I feel about the whole highschool "loser" thing, it's been done many times. I hope the parts of the movie when Parker isn't suited up aren't going to be just cookie cutter stuff.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Was a good trailer. Not sure how I feel about the whole highschool "loser" thing, it's been done many times. I hope the parts of the movie when Parker isn't suited up aren't going to be just cookie cutter stuff.

It has, but its still part of the teenage experience for a lot of people and speaks to the inner outcast in all of us.  :dunno: 

I will say that this was another place I thought Garfield's Peter got things mostly right.  He was definitely a loner in high school and never quite fit in, but he wasn't the object of Flash's bullying.  He actually stepped in when others were being bullied.  So he wasn't necessarily the object of scorn the way Maguire and Holland are.

Archived