Spiderman: Homecoming

Rhom

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I actually think that played to Winter Soldier's strength as we got something along the lines of Bourne/Taken combat but with a "better than a human but not hulk" power level. I also agree that Cap was a bit redundant in Avengers as a "human" we had to rely on gags and his leadership/personality to carry him. It's just silly if they maintain he's a "peak" human. Although I think this is something 99% of viewers don't even bother getting upset about.

If spidey is almost managing to keep a ship together I think he could handle a helicopter.

Given Stark gets such a big part in the spidey film, it's a shame we don't get to see him with Cap. I guess Civil War makes that tricky but I'd love some more scenes with Spidey and Cap. I feel like their sense of heroism and "doing what's right" is far more in line with that of Stark.

I was more bothered with Cap having such difficulty with that gunman on the helicarrier, and him getting into arguments with Stark while wearing that tight, "spangly" outfit.:P

I was also wondering whether Rogers would show up in Homecoming; part of the eulogy Sharon Carter gave at Peggy's service was pretty much the same one that Steve gave to Spidey ( which was  from Mark Twain) in one of the comic issues related to Civil War. I actually perked up a little when a falling out with Stark was speculated in this thread.

• 3 months later...

The take on movie Vulture is genuinely inspired. Movie Vulture is a guy who salvages scrap/weaponry in the aftermath of superbattles. When Stark shuts down his salvage operation he uses some of the weaponry to become the Vulture. It's such a good take on the character and actually makes sense out of why he chooses to call himself the vulture. Nice work and gives me hope the rest of the film has been thought out in a similar way.

Agreed on the take of Vulture. Also, really like dynamic at least in the trailer and CW between Peter and Tony. Everything Tony said in the trailer has even more meaning knowing what he dealt with. He sees a lot of himself in Peter and doesn't want him to repeat the mistakes he made. Really glad they went with Peter and Tony first and then later maybe Peter and Cap since in the comics both of them are very much alike. Putting needs of others first and yet I'm ignoring Spencer and his current Hydra Cap work. Also, cameo of Cap on the screen and Peter saying how he stole his shield,

I weirdly like the crappy costume and how it seems that's what he'll have in the latter third of the film - assuming that's when Stark takes his toys away? It's a neat way of making Spidey's life harder and showing us he's the hero, not the suit. It also makes Starks comments about the suit (and the fact Stark's power is the suit) more interesting and again suggests the screenplay is actually appearing pretty tight and well thought out. The weird thing is that it looks like 5 different people worked on the script making it hard to work out who to credit - could be a gestalt effort.

This news is just plain weird - why on earth would Sony (or someone who was with Sony in making this film) want to suggest that the spidey MCU deal might end after homecoming 2? That's just bad PR even if you are trying to negotiate some new deal. Especially when Sony is the one benefitting the most from the deal in terms of positive exposure.

33 minutes ago, red snow said:

I weirdly like the crappy costume and how it seems that's what he'll have in the latter third of the film - assuming that's when Stark takes his toys away? It's a neat way of making Spidey's life harder and showing us he's the hero, not the suit. It also makes Starks comments about the suit (and the fact Stark's power is the suit) more interesting and again suggests the screenplay is actually appearing pretty tight and well thought out. The weird thing is that it looks like 5 different people worked on the script making it hard to work out who to credit - could be a gestalt effort.

This news is just plain weird - why on earth would Sony (or someone who was with Sony in making this film) want to suggest that the spidey MCU deal might end after homecoming 2? That's just bad PR even if you are trying to negotiate some new deal. Especially when Sony is the one benefitting the most from the deal in terms of positive exposure.

It likely means they'll re-negotiate the deal. So far he has been confirmed and agreed to appear in Civil War, Homecoming, Avengers 3&4 and Homecoming 2 and rest is up for debate - but likely to be agreed. If these movies will profit as people think and Venom and other flop which is very likely, Marvel has some leverage over them and Sony needs money more than Disney/Marvel so they'll agree to continue with Spiderman. So far Spiderman is a big hit and probably will gross mor than billion with this movie and RDJ in this. IW war will be highest grossing movie ever followed by anotehr one. Disney and Marvel are machine on success and money.

Btw some folks said she's been fired or her role reduced with Sony and just has creative say on Spidey. She has deal as her studios with them.

Pretty cool. Using a fairly familiar arc. Starting out seeming to be really powerful (i.e. Stark's spidey suit), then coming down to earth with a crash. Some angsty stuff and some women being put in danger. Spidey finally emerges as a more mature sort of hero (one assumes).

I do like the injection of a superhero mentor into the Spidey-verse, since for a teen-super having someone with more mature experience  and who is a super hero who can directly mentor him (as opposed to previous iterations of Aunt May and Uncle Ben who could only give him general life advice) is a good thing.

Not entirely sure about the friend knowing everything, will have to wait to see the whole movie to have an opinion on that. But from the perspective of Peter Parker there is definitely a lot of comfort in having a close friend in whom you can confide. Peer support if you will.

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

That trailer leaves me wondering, did he ever even try to summon an army of killer spiders? I mean how do you know if you don't try. 

that would make a fun scene "to me my spiders" or "Crawl, my pretties, crawl"

In Superior Spider-man "he" had an army of robotic spider drones of various sizes under his control monitoring the city for all crime.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Not entirely sure about the friend knowing everything, will have to wait to see the whole movie to have an opinion on that. But from the perspective of Peter Parker there is definitely a lot of comfort in having a close friend in whom you can confide. Peer support if you will.

The friend is from the Mile Morales spidey comic. I think it's a good call if they don't mean for Peter to be an almost worrying loner. Most kids are fortunate enough to have one friend and I think a teenager would definitely tell his best mate about his powers. What I'm less comfortable with is how the kid appears to be constantly putting Pete's secret at risk by talking about his powers in public.

54 minutes ago, red snow said:

that would make a fun scene "to me my spiders" or "Crawl, my pretties, crawl"

In Superior Spider-man "he" had an army of robotic spider drones of various sizes under his control monitoring the city for all crime.

Meh, no one is scared of robot spiders.

I took the "spider army" comment to be a play on Ant Man's powers. A compare and contrast moment with another Avenger.

All in all, I love the direction of the movie (based on the trailers).

17 hours ago, red snow said:

The friend is from the Mile Morales spidey comic. I think it's a good call if they don't mean for Peter to be an almost worrying loner. Most kids are fortunate enough to have one friend and I think a teenager would definitely tell his best mate about his powers. What I'm less comfortable with is how the kid appears to be constantly putting Pete's secret at risk by talking about his powers in public.

I just hope for their sake that they managed to film the scene where he drops the Lego Death Star in one take.  That think must take 100 hours to assemble.

8 hours ago, HokieStone said:

I just hope for their sake that they managed to film the scene where he drops the Lego Death Star in one take.  That think must take 100 hours to assemble.

Notice he's the only one in the scene, he doesn't speak and then they immediately cut to a different camera. So that was a one take thing. Easy direction: look shocked then drop the Death Star. Will be interesting to see if it's essentially the same in the movie.

13 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Notice he's the only one in the scene, he doesn't speak and then they immediately cut to a different camera. So that was a one take thing. Easy direction: look shocked then drop the Death Star. Will be interesting to see if it's essentially the same in the movie.

Yeah...I imagine they practiced with a basketball a few times first...

2 hours ago, HokieStone said:

Yeah...I imagine they practiced with a basketball a few times first...

It's not out of the question that the Death Star is actually CGI, and he used a medicine ball as a prop during actual filming. It would probably take less time to create a CGI Lego Deathstar with realistic destruction physics than to make a Death Star out of actual Lego, factoring in the risk of the one take limitation that comes with making the damned thing for real.

Archived