Varys and the Martell's

Quellon

Ok, this is not clear to me entirely: what kind of relationship does Varys have with the Martell's and specifically Doran? I imagine as a Targaryen royalist he'd have good relations with them, because of...you know, Elia and the other Targaryen-queens that the Martell's gave Westeros. And will Varys support Dany or Aegon/Griff the Younger? And who will THE MARTELL'S support?

I think the Martells are most likely acting on their own, seeking vengeance and a bit more than that, we shall see as Doran is a really mysterious man. I think Doran wants to bring independence to Dorne once more or at least he wants to grow the Martell importance in the realm, you know, outshine the Lannisters (and destroy them). I think Doran will support Young Griff, although I believe is a Blackfyre from the maternal line (Serra, Illyrio's second wife) or even from the line of Shaera Targaryen (the daughter of Jaehaerys I and Alysanne who went to Essos), but I am more inclined to think he is a Blackfyre due to the Golden Company support. I think Doran won't like to know Daenerys refused Quentyn and worse, her dragons crisped him like bacon. Also, sometimes I wonder if Doran was really willing Quentyn to marry Dany, he was on a mission with so very few resources and he was being helped by the Martells biggest rival, the Yronwoods, a bit odd in my opinion, even though they were trying to stop him and return home.

Aryanne is off to the Stormlands to meet Young Griff, let's see what will happen from there.

As for Varys, I think he is a Blackfyre supporter and maybe a Blackfyre himself.

2 hours ago, Quellon said:

Ok, this is not clear to me entirely: what kind of relationship does Varys have with the Martell's and specifically Doran? I imagine as a Targaryen royalist he'd have good relations with them, because of...you know, Elia and the other Targaryen-queens that the Martell's gave Westeros. And will Varys support Dany or Aegon/Griff the Younger? And who will THE MARTELL'S support?

Although he was a Targ loyalist, I think he was also the one that convinced the Mad King to open the gates of KL for the Lannister army. Whether he knew Tywins intentions or not, I could see Doran not being on very good terms with Varys. 

edit: soooo, what I just said above is totally wrong. Whoops!

1 hour ago, Shadow of Asshai said:

I think the Martells are most likely acting on their own, sicking vengeance and a bit more than that, we shall see as Doran is a really mysterious man. I think Doran wants to bring independence to Dorne once more or at least he wants to grow the Martell importance in the realm, you know, outshine the Lannisters (and destroy them). I think Doran will support Young Griff, although I believe is a Blackfyre from the maternal line (Serra, Illyrio's second wife) or even from the line of Shaera Targaryen (the daughter of Jaehaerys I and Alysanne who went to Essos), but I am more inclined to think he is a Blackfyre due to the Golden Company support. I think Doran won't like to know Daenerys refused Quentyn and worse, her dragons crisped him like bacon. Also, sometimes I wonder if Doran was really willing Quentyn to marry Dany, he was on a mission with so very few resources and he was being helped by the Martells biggest rival, the Yronwoods, a bit odd in my opinion, even though they were trying to stop him and return home.

Aryanne is off to the Stormlands to meet Young Griff, let's see what will happen from there.

As for Varys, I think he is a Blackfyre supporter and maybe a Blackfyre himself.

As their most powerful bannermen, and Quentyns 2nd family Yronwood is the natural choice.  When you go on diplomatic missions you want to project power so you send people from powerful houses.

19 minutes ago, Aedam Targaryen said:

Although he was a Targ loyalist, I think he was also the one that convinced the Mad King to open the gates of KL for the Lannister army. Whether he knew Tywins intentions or not, I could see Doran not being on very good terms with Varys. 

Varys told him not to open the gates, Pycelle convinced him to open them.

2 hours ago, Quellon said:

I don't believe Varys is a Targaryen loyalist. He has been working for Illyrio for decades to advance the cause of the Blackfyre. Aegon is Illyrio's son and Daemon Blackfyre's heir. Varys is hoodwinking Doran (and any others who would have supported a Targaryen over Robert's Lannister bastards) into believing that the black dragon is red. 

Archived