Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Feologild

Whats your 10 favorite groups and 10 favorite albums ?

37 posts in this topic

Pixies - Doolittle 

Alice In Chains - Dirt

Social Distortion - Social Distortion 

Nirvana - Unplugged in New York 

Black Sabbath - Paranoid 

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison 

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street 

The Clash - London Calling 

Van Morrison - Moondance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Cool list!  Curious about you're album choices from RHCP, dogfighters, and POTUSoA.  I would love to hear why you chose those records.  

 

All solid but would have gone with Blood sugar and then the first albums from the other two

RHCP - One Hot Minute is so criminally underrated. The narrative now seems to be "Frusciante left for a while, *cough*, then returned and released Califonication yaaaaay!" And weirdly, to make my defence of it harder, the band seem to agree. I think Chad Smith said 'we're just not emotionally attached to that album' when asked why they never play anything off it. But you listen to stuff like Deep Kick or One Big Mob, the musicianship is leagues ahead of anything they've done since. For me, Navarro's layered, delay soaked guitar parts fit more perfectly with their music than any guitarist they've had before or since. I didn't mind Californication, but for me it was the beginning of the end, and they've got progressively duller with each release since. Check out the OHM era b-side 'Let's Make Evil' and tell me they (or Smith at the very least) aren't bored stiff playing the bland pop they're producing now.

POTUSoA - II This is a bit trickier to argue as it's pretty circumstantial for me. I just never really listened to the first album as much, happened to buy II and had friends who got into it as well. To my ears, it sounds far better but then I imagine I'd be saying that if I just happened to get into the first one. When you're into the heavier / complex end of music there's something so refreshing about an album that's just fun. My type of music is constantly in danger of falling down the pretentious / brooding rabbit hole and II is just so joyful to listen to, singing along to stuff like Lunatic to Love is about the happiest I can be listening to music.

Foo Fighters - Colour and the Shape (assuming this is who dogfighters are), just a flat out great rock record. I think there's two types of great albums, there's ones where the whole thing flows and is a complete piece of work, and there's just a dozen or so banging tracks in one place. This isn't so much a crucially sequenced work, but every track on it is fantastic. It also always fascinated me how many people love this album who aren't into heavy music, which is a hell of an achievement considering stuff like Enough Space.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

RHCP - One Hot Minute is so criminally underrated. The narrative now seems to be "Frusciante left for a while, *cough*, then returned and released Califonication yaaaaay!" And weirdly, to make my defence of it harder, the band seem to agree. I think Chad Smith said 'we're just not emotionally attached to that album' when asked why they never play anything off it. But you listen to stuff like Deep Kick or One Big Mob, the musicianship is leagues ahead of anything they've done since. For me, Navarro's layered, delay soaked guitar parts fit more perfectly with their music than any guitarist they've had before or since. I didn't mind Californication, but for me it was the beginning of the end, and they've got progressively duller with each release since. Check out the OHM era b-side 'Let's Make Evil' and tell me they (or Smith at the very least) aren't bored stiff playing the bland pop they're producing now.

POTUSoA - II This is a bit trickier to argue as it's pretty circumstantial for me. I just never really listened to the first album as much, happened to buy II and had friends who got into it as well. To my ears, it sounds far better but then I imagine I'd be saying that if I just happened to get into the first one. When you're into the heavier / complex end of music there's something so refreshing about an album that's just fun. My type of music is constantly in danger of falling down the pretentious / brooding rabbit hole and II is just so joyful to listen to, singing along to stuff like Lunatic to Love is about the happiest I can be listening to music.

Foo Fighters - Colour and the Shape (assuming this is who dogfighters are), just a flat out great rock record. I think there's two types of great albums, there's ones where the whole thing flows and is a complete piece of work, and there's just a dozen or so banging tracks in one place. This isn't so much a crucially sequenced work, but every track on it is fantastic. It also always fascinated me how many people love this album who aren't into heavy music, which is a hell of an achievement considering stuff like Enough Space.  

Thanks for the rundown.  Agree that OHM is superior to everything after Frusciante's return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Artists, composers, bands:

JS Bach

Leonard Cohen

Michael Jackson

Neil Young

The Beatles

Marvin Gaye

Prince

Lillebjørn Nilsen

Bruce Springsteen

Aretha Franklin

 

Albums:

Fionn Regan - The End of History,

Catriona McDonald & Ian Lowthian - Opus Blue

M83 - Hurry up, we're dreaming

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years

Jan Johansson - Jazz på Svenska

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

Daft Punk - Discovery 

The National - Cherry Tree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In no particular order

Artists

Sublime

Rancid

The Clash

MXPX

Jack Johnson

Social Distortion

Dropkick Murphys

The Descendents

Bob Marley

Beastie Boys

Albums

Bob Marley: Legend

Green Day: Dookie

Sublime: 40 oz. to Freedom

Weezer: Pinkerton

Rancid: ...And Out Come the Wolves

Beastie Boys: Ill Communication

Jack Johnson: In Between Dreams

NOFX: Punk in Drublic

The Descendents: Milo Goes to College

Snoop Dogg: Doggystyle (Can't help it I fucking love this album)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, serious answer--

i wanted to pick artists and albums (because there are so soooo goddamn many I could consider favorites) that are not just favorites, but truly great in some way or another.  Stuff that made me kinda see things in a new way, show a small glimpse of things possible, while at the same time I could listen to over and over again

Artists:
The Lot Six
Lee 'Scratch' Perry
Johnny motherfuckin Cash
Pig Destroyer
David motherfucking Bowie
Iron Maiden
Tom Waits
The Seatbelts
 
Albums:
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Slint - Spiderland
Mark Lanegan Band - Bubblegum
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Moment - Songs for the Self-Destructive
Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 - Ladies and Gentlemen... we're Floating in space / Taking drugs to make music to take drugs to (2 way tie)
King Gheedorah (MF Doom) - Take Me To Your Leader
Cobalt - Gin
24 Carat Black - Ghetto: Misfortune's Wealth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Joe Pesci Legend by Bob Marley is incredible. It's funny, I really, really, really, really, really, really don't like reggae - but I fucking love Bob Marley. I guess it's an instance of transcending genre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2016 at 2:45 PM, Plessiez said:

Albums only:

Talking Heads - Fear Of Music
Sonic Youth - Sister
Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas
The Field Mice - For Keeps
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee 
65daysofstatic - One Time For All Time
Burial - Untrue

This is such a nice list <3 

Ummm....right now my favourite albums are probably

Gary Numan  - Telekon
Tubeway Army - Replicas 
David Bowie  - Ziggy Stardust 
Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
Siouxsie and the Banshees  - Kaleidoscope 
Mac Demarco - Rock and Roll Nightclub
Catatonia - International Velvet
The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs
Sinead O'Connor - The Lion and the Cobra
The Cure  - Disintegration 

I'm not a huge album person though I mostly just pick and choose which songs I love from artists and listen to those select few songs about a million times each but these are some albums I really have spent a lot of hours listening to 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh shit Otis Blue (Otis Redding) is an album i've listened to tons as well - I put it in work the other day when I got my own choice so that should probably definitely replace something in my list but can't be bothered to pick one to replace LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only going to do the Top 10 albums.

England Take My Bones - Frank Turner

The Specials - The Specials

Waking Hours - Del Amitri

Boxer - The National

Automatic for the People - REM

Love, Ire and Song - Frank Turner

New Gold Dream - Simple Minds

Soul Mining - The The

Bang - World Party

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bands:

R.E.M.

Manic Street Preachers

Sigur Ros

Teenage Fanclub

Arcade Fire

David Bowie

Queen

Belle and Sebastian

Idlewild

British Sea Power

Albums:

R.E.M. - Automatic For The People

Paul Simon - Graceland

The Clash - London Calling

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Radiohead - The Bends

The Who - Who's Next

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust

Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix

Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows

Pulp - A Different Class

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fave artists not in any special order. 

Buddy Holly

Bo Diddley 

Leonard Cohen

The Blasters

The Who

Handsome Ned

Rank and File

X

Johnny Cash

As for albums, I am no one for albums As I find it hard to like all songs on any given album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hereward said:

I'm only going to do the Top 10 albums.

England Take My Bones - Frank Turner

The Specials - The Specials

Waking Hours - Del Amitri

Boxer - The National

Automatic for the People - REM

Love, Ire and Song - Frank Turner

New Gold Dream - Simple Minds

Soul Mining - The The

Bang - World Party

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

 

Oh, DEFINITELY this...absolutely cracking album and the Specials...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I'm seriously behind on work, but this thread speaks to my soul, so I had to reply. I'll also stay literal since the thread title specifically requested "groups" and not musicians--so I won't go into solo artist territory.

Top 10 Bands (in no particular order)

  • Weezer
  • Incubus
  • Rolling Stones
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Tool
  • Flogging Molly
  • Queen
  • Metallica (There are easily four other bands I like equally, and I may change this later. But They'll do for now.)
  • Rage Against The Machine
  • Pearl Jam

So, for albums, I'm not going to be as restrictive on myself. These are all albums I've listened to on repeat three our four times in a row on many occasions without skipping a track. I'm just going with the top 10 that come to mind. Ask me again tomorrow and a few of these would likely change.

Top 10 Albums (in no particular order)

  • Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
  • Samurai Champloo OST - Departures
  • Incubus - Morning View
  • Weezer - Blue Album
  • Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
  • Counting Crows - August and Everything After...
  • Tool - Undertow
  • Rolling Stones - 40 Licks
  • RATM - Renegades
  • Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I should've found a way to include Incubus- Morning View, great album.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is always fun. Artists is tough for me to narrow down, so I'm just going to go with albums.

I'm using the approach of albums I can listen to any time, where I never skip one second of any track, and always want to hear from start to finish. In no particular order apart from the first two (which I reckon will always be my 1 and 1a):

  • The Mantle by Agalloch
  • Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche
  • Écailles de Lune by Alcest
  • Recreation Day by Evergrey
  • Out of Myself by Riverside
  • Nightfall in Middle Earth by Blind Guardian
  • Tales from the Thousand Lakes by Amorphis
  • Bergtatt by Ulver
  • Weather Systems by Anathema
  • Grace Under Pressure by Rush

 

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2016 at 1:05 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

 I should've found a way to include Incubus- Morning View, great album.

Yes. Yes, you should have.;) I'm not a  JethroTull or Rush fan, so I'd say knock one of those off your list. Never heard that Joni Mitchell tribute. Jagged Little Pill and Paper Trails are both really solid albums in my book, but not top 10 material for me personally.

I also should've found a way to get Queen and Led Zep on my list, but like the Stones,those were bands before my time and I don't have any real albums per se that I love for them--just songs or "best of" compilations. And even though it's a compilation, I had to put 40 Licks on my list though as the Stones are hands down my favorite band--the greatest rock band of all time! All.Time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0