What the Heck Happened to Baby Maegor?

estermonty python

1 hour ago, estermonty python said:

I think at least part of the appeal of the Blackfyres was xenophobic in nature.  Some of the Targs (like Baelor Breakspear) were coming out looking Dornish, because of the intermarriage, which made the pureblooded Blackfyres more appealing.  That would have made the Dornish natural and enduring enemies of the Blackfyres, which would make Dorne perhaps the safest region for Aegon V to foster a Targaryen princeling who could potentially challenge his claim to the throne.

Not to mention that whole ending of Dorne as the object to be conquered and the centuries old vendettas between Houses in the Stormlands and the Reach with their counterparts in Dorne. Peace is never easily accepted by those who are raised on dreams of retribution. Daeron embraced the sworn enemies of the realm and brought them to his bed and court. In the eyes of these lords it is tantamount to surrendering the crown to the enemy.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but keeping a Targaryen prince in Dorne could also be one possible explanation for how the hell a Dornishman ended up on the Wall - and as Lord Commander.  in the 36 years between Lord Commander Bloodraven and Lord Commander Mormont, we don't know if Lord Commander Qorgyle served for all or merely part of that time, but it seems likely that his presence on the Wall probably had something to do with Bloodraven and Maester Aemon going to the Wall themselves.  It may be that Dorne sent someone to look after and protect Aemon.

I'm not sure how this works. Aemon and Bloodraven go first to the wall, but you are speculating Qogyle may be one of the many men Egg sent with them? Possible, I think we need more information here.

On the other hand, Aemon mentions to Jon his correspondence with his great grandnewphew (is that even a word?) Rhaegar; why wouldn't he have had any correspondence with his actual nephew, Maegor, and his children and grandchildren as well?  

I'd say it's likely. Both Aemon and Egg are extremely intelligent men who would want to keep Maegor and his descendants loyal and without power to challenge Aegon's rule. That means putting him in a place where he will be taken care of with honor, but with no one who will use him to torment rebellion. Grandma's family seems a natural solution. He can't take it as a further slight because she is family, and it it an ancient one full of honor. High Hermitage is isolated and as a vassal house of the Daynes of Starfall incapable of doing much damage on their own. Seems a perfect fit for what Aegon must have been looking for for his nephew.

I guess the bottom line is, the Daynes - all of them - are a hell of an enigma. 

Very true.

16 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

Not to mention that whole ending of Dorne as the object to be conquered and the centuries old vendettas between Houses in the Stormlands and the Reach with their counterparts in Dorne. Peace is never easily accepted by those who are raised on dreams of retribution. Daeron embraced the sworn enemies of the realm and brought them to his bed and court. In the eyes of these lords it is tantamount to surrendering the crown to the enemy.

I'm not sure how this works. Aemon and Bloodraven go first to the wall, but you are speculating Qogyle may be one of the many men Egg sent with them? Possible, I think we need more information here.

I'd say it's likely. Both Aemon and Egg are extremely intelligent men who would want to keep Maegor and his descendants loyal and without power to challenge Aegon's rule. That means putting him in a place where he will be taken care of with honor, but with no one who will use him to torment rebellion. Grandma's family seems a natural solution. He can't take it as a further slight because she is family, and it it an ancient one full of honor. High Hermitage is isolated and as a vassal house of the Daynes of Starfall incapable of doing much damage on their own. Seems a perfect fit for what Aegon must have been looking for for his nephew.

Very true.

On the subject of Aemon, I want to refute something I myself said earlier.  I had postulated somewhere above that if Maegor was still alive, it seems highly unlikely that no one will have mentioned him to Robert.  But Maester Aemon confesses that so much time has passed that no one even remembers that he's a Targaryen.  Certainly Robert didn't give him any trouble.  Could the bulk of the Seven Kingdoms have forgotten about Maegor several generations later as well?

The main counterargument to that point is that the Citadel keeps track of this stuff, and the Maesters are charged with educating and counseling the lords.  It is perfectly plausible (if alarmingly nefarious) that the Maesters could have protected their own by not reminding any of their Lords that there was still a Targaryen on the Wall; Pycelle, Cressen, and Colemon would have been the most notable offenders, as the ones who interacted the most with Robert.  They would have no such ulterior motive in protecting Maegor and his progeny.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:39 PM, J. Stargaryen said:

I love that Aerion named his son Maegor. Because of course he would. There's a theory out there positing that fAegon is not just a Blackfyre, but a Brightfyre, also being a descendant of Aerion Brightflame. - The Brightfyre Theory

If this were true it would give me a sword of the morning that lasted for 1000 years.

7 hours ago, SFDanny said:

I should add, that way back when I was making threads about this idea (six or seven years ago) I had, through not fault of my own, some ideas about this that have been proven wrong. In addition to the imagery surrounding and the description of the Darkstar, I had the idea that the Targaryen that Queen of Thrones spurned was none other than Maegor himself. That was largely dependent on the few Targaryens of that generation who could be eligible to marry Lady Olenna. Since that time, Martin added another son for Egg and explained how this third son - Prince Daeron - was the one who was engaged to marry Olenna Redwyne and he chose his lover, Ser Jeremy Norridge, over his betrothed (TWoI&F 109.) This new information shot down part of what I thought was a strong argument about Maegor eventually being married into a loyalist house so the Targaryens could keep an eye on him. Little did I know that Martin would also fill in the Targaryen family tree to show Aemon's, Egg's, and Aerion's mother to be a Dayne. This new information certainly strengthens the case both you and I have advanced for Maegor being married into the Dayne family himself and Ser Gerold to be Maegor's grandchild.

I recall the Olenna-Aerion's baby theories. 

6 hours ago, estermonty python said:

I think at least part of the appeal of the Blackfyres was xenophobic in nature.  Some of the Targs (like Baelor Breakspear) were coming out looking Dornish, because of the intermarriage, which made the pureblooded Blackfyres more appealing.  That would have made the Dornish natural and enduring enemies of the Blackfyres, which would make Dorne perhaps the safest region for Aegon V to foster a Targaryen princeling who could potentially challenge his claim to the throne.  

I like it. I like it a lot. 

Archived