R+L=J v.163

J. Stargaryen

A nifty little parallel I saw pointed out elsewhere:

Aegon Targaryen and his sisters paid little heed to the Iron Islands in the immediate aftermath of Harrenhal. They had more pressing concerns, and powerful foes to defeat on every hand. Left to fend for themselves, the ironborn immediately fell to fighting.

Qhorin Volmark, a minor lord on Harlaw, was the first man to claim the kingship. His grandmother had been a younger sister of Harwyn Hardhand. On the basis of that tie, Volmark declared himself the rightful heir of "the black line."

On Old Wyk, twoscore priests gathered beneath the bones of Nagga to place a driftwood crown on one of their own, a barefoot holy man called Lodos who claimed to be the living son of the Drowned God.

Other claimants soon arose on Great Wyk, Pyke, and Orkmont, and for a full year and more their followers fought each other by land and sea. Aegon the Conqueror put an end to the fighting in 2 AC when he and Balerion descended upon Great Wyk, accompanied by a vast war fleet. The ironmen collapsed before him. Qhorin Volmark died at the Conqueror's own hand, cut down by Aegon's Valyrian steel blade, Blackfyre. (TWOIAF)

Aegon Targaryen killed Qhorin Volmark with his Valyrian steel blade, Blackfyre.

Jon Snow killed Qhorin Halfhand with his Valyrian steel blade, Longclaw.

A totally wild speculative prediction.... Could Jon actually form a NEW house, similar to the Karstarks, or the Blackfyres? House Longclaw? Or ClawStark? Or LongStark? Maybe even, after the plot arc at the wall (and north of it) is resolved, a new House that is.... North of the Wall? Build some keep around where Craster was? Or the Fist? Or even just take Castle Black as his keep?

12 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

A totally wild speculative prediction.... Could Jon actually form a NEW house, similar to the Karstarks, or the Blackfyres? House Longclaw? Or ClawStark? Or LongStark? Maybe even, after the plot arc at the wall (and north of it) is resolved, a new House that is.... North of the Wall? Build some keep around where Craster was? Or the Fist? Or even just take Castle Black as his keep?

Anything goes north of the wall.

On the south side, he would be subject to the rules of the Lord Paramount. He couldn't just take land and start his own House. All the land on the South side is owned already. 

51 minutes ago, Lost Umber said:

Anything goes north of the wall.

On the south side, he would be subject to the rules of the Lord Paramount. He couldn't just take land and start his own House. All the land on the South side is owned already. 

Right. For sure. But... I'm thinking maybe of Alys? 

Jon just extended an Olive Branch to Alys Karstark, by marrying her to Tormund. Robb forcibly removed Lord Rickard's head with sharpened steel. That little plot arc seems ripe for the picking. 

12 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

Right. For sure. But... I'm thinking maybe of Alys? 

Jon just extended an Olive Branch to Alys Karstark, by marrying her to Tormund. Robb forcibly removed Lord Rickard's head with sharpened steel. That little plot arc seems ripe for the picking. 

Jon saved Alys and her brother Harrion from having Arnolf and his son usurp the Lordship of Karhold. But I don't know what you are getting at with respect to Jon starting his own House. 

2 minutes ago, Lost Umber said:

Jon saved Alys and her brother Harrion from having Arnolf and his son usurp the Lordship of Karhold. But I don't know what you are getting at with respect to Jon starting his own House. 

This was what someone else posted:

On 1/23/2017 at 3:00 AM, Shmedricko said:

A nifty little parallel I saw pointed out elsewhere:

Aegon Targaryen killed Qhorin Volmark with his Valyrian steel blade, Blackfyre.

Jon Snow killed Qhorin Halfhand with his Valyrian steel blade, Longclaw.

All I'm saying is.... Aegon killed a Qhorin with Blackfyre. Jon killed a Qhorin with Longclaw. Blackfyre went on to be the symbol of a NEW HOUSE, eventually, the Blackfyres. Why can't Longclaw go on to be the symbol of yet ANOTHER new house? Someone drew a parallel between Aegon/Blackfyre and Jon/Longclaw. I extended that parallel to go past the Qhorin/valyrian comparison, to ask the question (which I thought the parallel blatantly begged):

"If a Valyrian Steel sword which killed a Qhorin went on to be the namesake and symbol of a House (Aegon/Blackfyre).... then why can't a Valyrian Steel sword which killed a Qhorin (Jon/Longclaw) go on to form some other House?"

Does my attempt make sense now?

1 hour ago, HaeSuse said:

This was what someone else posted:

All I'm saying is.... Aegon killed a Qhorin with Blackfyre. Jon killed a Qhorin with Longclaw. Blackfyre went on to be the symbol of a NEW HOUSE, eventually, the Blackfyres. Why can't Longclaw go on to be the symbol of yet ANOTHER new house? Someone drew a parallel between Aegon/Blackfyre and Jon/Longclaw. I extended that parallel to go past the Qhorin/valyrian comparison, to ask the question (which I thought the parallel blatantly begged):

"If a Valyrian Steel sword which killed a Qhorin went on to be the namesake and symbol of a House (Aegon/Blackfyre).... then why can't a Valyrian Steel sword which killed a Qhorin (Jon/Longclaw) go on to form some other House?"

Does my attempt make sense now?

I think House Blackfyre taking its name from the sword probably has more to do Aegon IV giving the most famous of the Targaryen swords to his bastard (TWOIAF, Aegon IV) than with a Qhorin meeting his fate on its business end.

If Ned had given Ice to Jon (especially if he gave it to Jon instead of Robb), then you'd have a parallel, and Jon could consider taking the name Ice (Jon of House Ice does not really have a ring to it, though, so not sorry this didn't happen). Instead, one of the first things to cross his mind when Mormont gave him Longclaw was more or less you're not my father. (GOT, Jon VIII).

16 hours ago, Therae said:

I think House Blackfyre taking its name from the sword probably has more to do Aegon IV giving the most famous of the Targaryen swords to his bastard (TWOIAF, Aegon IV) than with a Qhorin meeting his fate on its business end.

If Ned had given Ice to Jon (especially if he gave it to Jon instead of Robb), then you'd have a parallel, and Jon could consider taking the name Ice (Jon of House Ice does not really have a ring to it, though, so not sorry this didn't happen). Instead, one of the first things to cross his mind when Mormont gave him Longclaw was more or less you're not my father. (GOT, Jon VIII).

I wasn't implying I believed it. I don't believe the Qhorin/Valyrian link has anything to do with anything at all. I was just playing along with the OP.

3 hours ago, HaeSuse said:

I wasn't implying I believed it. I don't believe the Qhorin/Valyrian link has anything to do with anything at all. I was just playing along with the OP.

I just got my backside handed to me in another thread while playing with an idea I don't subscribe to. :)

Seriously, though, I didn't mean an ad hominem, and I apologize if it seemed like it.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:09 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I think that this kind of threads would had been much more useful a couple of years ago. In any case, I find the entertaining since I think that the threads have stagnated from the lack of new ideas.  Personally I would love everything except R+L=J.

i am convinced that the stagnation theory has merit...

i support...anyone but R + anyone but L = J...

and let the chips fall where they may...

:smoking:

On 1/26/2017 at 2:38 PM, HaeSuse said:

Hmm there   was a House Greystark. So maybe House Whitestark for Ghost. Or House  Blackstark for the Watch. Or the ever popular Stark arena or Targark. 

12 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Hmm there   was a House Greystark. So maybe House Whitestark for Ghost. Or House  Blackstark for the Watch. Or the ever popular Stark arena or Targark. 

Or we could go with House Snow; after all the Stark sigil is a wolf against a snow white field B)

Seriously, if he didn't simply claim his mother's name as Bael's son did, I think that Snow would be a logical choice in the circumstances. Jon has spent a lot of time railing against the outrageous fortune of his bastardy and how keenly he feels the stigma. What better way to banish that stigma, not simply by embracing it as Tyrion advised him to do, but destroying it by making the name Snow a royal one.

Archived