Awards Season 2017: Movie edition (#notsowhite) *** Oscar Nominees ***

Mladen

Man, I am chuffed for Viggo to get a best actor nomination. I really liked that film too. Not that he has a hope of winning but still, nice to be acknowledged. <3

Ooh, no adapted screenplay for Nocturnal Animals. Has anyone read the book? I haven't but I heard it is a polarising novel.

I still need to watch Moonlight and I honestly am not sure I can sit through Jackie because I cannot take two hours of Portman's Princess Amidala voice. Other than that I am getting better at getting through these films with each passing year. :)

SCREEN ACTORS GUILD WINNERS

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Denzel Washington, “Fences”

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

Emma Stone, “La La Land”

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight”

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

Viola Davis, “Fences”

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

"Hidden Figures"

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture

“Hacksaw Ridge”

• 2 weeks later...

BAFTA WINNERS

BEST FILM
“La La Land,” Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz, Marc Platt

DIRECTOR
Damien Chazelle, “La La Land”

LEADING ACTOR
Casey Affleck, “Manchester By the Sea”

LEADING ACTRESS
Emma Stone, “La La Land”

BEST ANIMATED FILM
“Kubo and the Two Strings”

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Dev Patel, “Lion”

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Viola Davis, “Fences”

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
“Manchester By the Sea,” Kenneth Lonergan

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
“Lion,” Luke Davies

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
“Son of Saul,” Laszlo Nemes, Gabor Sipos

DOCUMENTARY
“13th,” Ava DuVernay, Spencer Averick, Howard Barish

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
“I, Daniel Blake,” Ken Loach, Rebecca O’Brien, Paul Laverty

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
Babak Anvari (Writer/Director), Emily Leo, Oliver Roskill, Lucan Toh (Producers), “Under the Shadow”

EE RISING STAR AWARD (VOTED FOR BY THE PUBLIC)
Tom Holland

ORIGINAL MUSIC
“La La Land,” Justin Hurwitz

CINEMATOGRAPHY
“La La Land,” Linus Sandgren

EDITING
“Hacksaw Ridge,” John Gilbert

PRODUCTION DESIGN
“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” Stuart Craig, Anna Pinnock

COSTUME DESIGN
“Jackie,” Madeline Fontaine

MAKE UP AND HAIR
“Florence Foster Jenkins,” J. Roy Helland, Daniel Phillips

SOUND
“Arrival,” Sylvain Bellemare, Claude La Haye, Bernard Gariépy Strobl

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
“The Jungle Book”

BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION
“A Love Story,” Khaled Gad, Anushka Kishani Naanayakkara, Elena Ruscombe-King

BRITISH SHORT FILM
“Home,” Shpat Deda, Afolabi Kuti, Daniel Mulloy, Scott O’Donnell

OUTSTANDING BRITISH CONTRIBUTION TO CINEMA (PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED)
Curzon

I've watched this tonight and have over the evening come to the conclusion that the best actor really needs to be Casey Affleck rather than Ryan Gosling (thinking of Oscars here). In terms of performance I've just this evening tipped over into the Affleck camp, because when you compare those performances there is DEPTH there, that I don't get in La La Land. 

1 hour ago, Baitac said:

So pissed off about Amy. Ruth Negga killed it in Loving.

This year has been packed to the gills with great female performances.  Adams or Benning should be in there instead of Streep, though I feel like I'm discounting discounting Streep's role somewhat because Florence Foster Jenkins was a comedy.  Hailee Steinfield, Jennifer Garner, Susan Sarandon, and Sally Field also gave great performances.

On 2/12/2017 at 2:59 PM, Isis said:

I've watched this tonight and have over the evening come to the conclusion that the best actor really needs to be Casey Affleck rather than Ryan Gosling (thinking of Oscars here). In terms of performance I've just this evening tipped over into the Affleck camp, because when you compare those performances there is DEPTH there, that I don't get in La La Land. 

Gosling isn't a contender in the best actor race.  It is Denzel Washington vs. Casey Affleck.  Affleck has the better performance, but his negative press is weighing him down.  Washington is a better campaigner and is black which after last years controversy is an asset.

I watched some of the BAFTA's Sunday. Had never seen any of it before, just came across it while channel surfing. I liked the opening with Cirque performance. Was that performance linked to a movie in any way or was it just a performance?

31 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I watched some of the BAFTA's Sunday. Had never seen any of it before, just came across it while channel surfing. I liked the opening with Cirque performance. Was that performance linked to a movie in any way or was it just a performance?

Cirque du Soliel Amaluna is currently on at the Royal Albert Hall so I imagine that's why it was showed

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Cirque du Soliel Amaluna is currently on at the Royal Albert Hall so I imagine that's why it was showed

Ok, that makes sense. I am use to the US award shows where they usually start with a montage of the movies or songs. I wasn't sure if I missed that when I turned BAFTA on.

Yeah, you could see some people in the audience initially looking like, what is this thing...? But by the end they looked like they appreciated it. But I thought Cirque du Soliel was a quite well known institution? 

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Yeah, you could see some people in the audience initially looking like, what is this thing...? But by the end they looked like they appreciated it. But I thought Cirque du Soliel was a quite well known institution? 

Its pretty well known as far as im aware. Maybe nobody expected it to be on before the awards though? Seems like the kind of thing you would hear of in advance though

19 hours ago, Triskan said:

...I forgot to mention that I thought that Allied was very good and am quite surprised at the lukewarm reviews it received.  It was top-notch. 

I'm sorry to have missed that one when it was in theaters here. The trailer looked good and I'm definitely curious to see it once it hits video.

I wasn't sure if The Lobster was one of those US/UK things where it's out in different years in different places. Like La La Land, Manchester By the Sea, Birdman etc etc, all those films were January releases in the UK. 

I might go and see Moonlight next week. See what all the fuss is about.

Archived