Shipwreck on Skagos

KingMance

I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread, but I didn't want to stray off topic in the Wex Pyke discussion. This has more than likely been addressed, and if so I apologize. 

In AFFC, chapter 15, Samwell and companions are passing by Skagos on the way to Braavos when they encounter a shipwreck: 

The days ran together after that. They never saw the sun. The days were grey and the nights black, except when lightning lit the sky above the peaks of Skagos. All of them were starved yet none could eat. The captain broached a cask of firewine to fortify the oarsmen. Sam tried a cup and sighed as hot snakes wriggled down his throat and through his chest. Dareon took a liking to the drink as well, and was seldom sober thereafter. The sails went up, the sails came down, and one ripped free of the mast and flew away like a great grey bird. As Blackbird rounded the south coast of Skagos, they spotted the wreckage of a galley on the rocks. Some of her crew had washed up on the shore, and the rooks and crabs had gathered to pay them homage. “Too bloody close,” grumbled Old Tattersalt when he saw. “One good blow, and we’ll be breaking up aside them.” 

From what we know of Skagos, it's an island best shunned by strangers for fear of cannibals riding unicorns. It makes since for the nights watch to have to pass by, but why would another ship be so close? I don't doubt they do some trading or what not, but it seems odd. 

As most of us are familiar with what a "shaggy dog" story is, is it possible this ship was carrying Osha, rickon, and shaggy? Is Davos on a wild goose chase for nothing Does the time line add up? Am I crazy? If this has been answered in a different post, please link me. 

Side note that had no bearing on my question: even after seeing maps in TWOIAF, I had no idea how big the island of Skagos was. Sam makes mention of the days running together, and still being in sight of the island. 

IIRC in one of the Davos chapters it's mentioned that one of Sallador's ships ran aground at Skagos. I could be wrong, but even so, one of Sallador's ships is quite likely anyway: it was a big fleet, and it got all fucked up by storms.

However, I do like the idea that Rickon ended up in Skagos not by choice, but rather was shipwrecked there on his way to, say, Braavos. Or Ibben, or Lorath...

4 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Thank you, that's a very good summary of what we know about Skagos. @Illyrio Mo'Parties, you're probably right about it being a ship from Saan's fleet, that would make the most sense. Curious still on the timeline, or if it can even be guessed at. We're left with a pretty big plot hole, and not many written pages about the youngest Stark. 

I'm on the "rickon is chopped liver" bandwagon, so I don't see him surviving the series, or even the next book. One part of me says "Skagos is no place for a child", but a bigger part says "Skagos is a GREAT place for a 4 year old wild warg". Tough to say. 

Ultimately I see him as a pretty big bargaining chip for whoever holds him. I fear he's going to be more useful dead though to whoever he ends up in custody of.

3 minutes ago, KingMance said:

Thank you, that's a very good summary of what we know about Skagos. @Illyrio Mo'Parties, you're probably right about it being a ship from Saan's fleet, that would make the most sense. Curious still on the timeline, or if it can even be guessed at. We're left with a pretty big plot hole, and not many written pages about the youngest Stark. 

I'm on the "rickon is chopped liver" bandwagon, so I don't see him surviving the series, or even the next book. One part of me says "Skagos is no place for a child", but a bigger part says "Skagos is a GREAT place for a 4 year old wild warg". Tough to say. 

Ultimately I see him as a pretty big bargaining chip for whoever holds him. I fear he's going to be more useful dead though to whoever he ends up in custody of.

Skagos is still a pretty mysterious place though. I wouldn't be surprised if rickon has changed significantly since we have seen him. Matured more I mean. It would make sense that he was from sans fleet. Wouldn't be the first kid he helped move from place to place. Would be interesting. Wait what would be the plot hole with the rickon. I mean i understand that we dint really know where he is but i dint know about any plot holes. But yeah i could see him getting killed pretty soon. I dint know how but I feel like rickon is probably gonna die in the next book. But i also thought stannis would be dead by now to so... I mean he still is a child first before he is a warg. Man i forget that he is only four years old. Wait do we know that hes a warg? It will be interesting though to see what his role will be in the next book. Even though im pretty sure he will die.

“Nine-and-twenty ships had set sail from the Wall. If half of them were still afloat, Davos would be shocked. Black skies, bitter winds, and lashing rains had hounded them all the way down the coast. The galleys Oledo and Old Mother’s Son had been driven onto the rocks of Skagos, the isle of unicorns and cannibals where even the Blind Bastard had feared to land; the great cog Saathos Saan had foundered off the Grey Cliffs. “Stannis will be paying for them,” Salladhor Saan had fumed. “He will be paying for them with good gold, every one.”

Can't edit, so...

ETA:

The one mentioned here is probably one of the two we hear about in Davos' PoV.

“Cotter Pyke had written from Eastwatch to report that the Storm Crow had sighted the wreckage of a galley along the coast of Skagos. Whether the broken ship was Blackbird, one of Stannis Baratheon’s sellsails, or some passing trader, the crew of the Storm Crow had not been able to discern.”

And then it looks like there's two more on Skane:

“Clydas entered pink and blinking, the parchment clutched in one soft hand. “Beg pardon, Lord Commander. I know you must be weary, but I thought you would want to see this at once.”
“You did well.” Jon read:
At Hardhome, with six ships. Wild seas. Blackbird lost with all hands, two Lyseni ships driven aground on Skane, Talon taking water. Very bad here. Wildlings eating their own dead. Dead things in the woods. Braavosi captains will only take women, children on their ships. Witch women call us slavers. Attempt to take Storm Crow defeated, six crew dead, many wildlings. Eight ravens left. Dead things in the water. Send help by land, seas wracked by storms. From Talon, by hand of Maester Harmune.
Cotter Pyke had made his angry mark below.”

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Can't edit, so...

ETA:

The one mentioned here is probably one of the two we hear about in Davos' PoV.

“Cotter Pyke had written from Eastwatch to report that the Storm Crow had sighted the wreckage of a galley along the coast of Skagos. Whether the broken ship was Blackbird, one of Stannis Baratheon’s sellsails, or some passing trader, the crew of the Storm Crow had not been able to discern.”

Awesome, that would seem to be the most likely possibilities then. Rickon probably made it to Skagos, and I want to believe we're going to see him again. I hope we do, because Skagos sounds like an interesting place.

@Wrl6199 maybe plot hole isn't the best term, but why send a 4 year old and presumptive heir to winterfell to a place that has a rocky at best relationship with the outside world? We've had no mention of him or Osha until Manderly captures Davos. Rickon is too young to have a POV obviously, but we have learned little and less about him, besides his wildness. He's almost like (F)aegon to me, I'm not sure if he's worth the time to invest my interest in haha 

6 hours ago, KingMance said:

Awesome, that would seem to be the most likely possibilities then. Rickon probably made it to Skagos, and I want to believe we're going to see him again. I hope we do, because Skagos sounds like an interesting place.

@Wrl6199 maybe plot hole isn't the best term, but why send a 4 year old and presumptive heir to winterfell to a place that has a rocky at best relationship with the outside world? We've had no mention of him or Osha until Manderly captures Davos. Rickon is too young to have a POV obviously, but we have learned little and less about him, besides his wildness. He's almost like (F)aegon to me, I'm not sure if he's worth the time to invest my interest in haha 

I think by now Rickon is 6 or 7? If you consider that Arya was 9 and Bran 8 in AGoT... :)

And it's so fitting, the wild Stark kid, with the wildest direwolf, arriving with a horde of wild skagosi. :P

1 hour ago, DigUpHerBones said:
  Hide contents

annnnnnnnnnnd, show related, but the Connor McGregor casting :o screams Skagosi to me.

Nice, was wondering what role he'd play. He's a terrible human being, but he'd make an excellent cannibal warrior!

9 hours ago, KingMance said:

Nice, was wondering what role he'd play. He's a terrible human being, but he'd make an excellent cannibal warrior!

Do you know him personally? If not, what you see and hear is an act of a character he's created to draw attention, attendance, and more money. And it's been working, obviously. 

He's playing a non speaking cameo role as a member of the crew on Euron's ship, Silence.

6 minutes ago, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

Do you know him personally? If not, what you see and hear is an act of a character he's created to draw attention, attendance, and more money. And it's been working, obviously. 

He's playing a non speaking cameo role as a member of the crew on Euron's ship, Silence.

Cool, thanks for the show info. I don't know him besides TV, where he's loud, arrogant, cocky, and an absolute great fighter. Of course he amps it up some for the cameras, but you can't "act" being a terrific MMA fighter. Funny he has a non speaking role though :P 

7 hours ago, KingMance said:

Cool, thanks for the show info. I don't know him besides TV, where he's loud, arrogant, cocky, and an absolute great fighter. Of course he amps it up some for the cameras, but you can't "act" being a terrific MMA fighter. Funny he has a non speaking role though :P 

Yeah, it's ironically hilarious that he, of all people, is cast as a tongueless mute with, obviously, no lines, on a ship called Silence. That much I'll concede.

Archived