Record Players - Best set-up for the casual listener

kairparavel

MC and I are looking to purchase a turntable and speakers or even an integrated system if it meets our very basic criteria.

A quick tour around the interwebs suggests this is the best turntable for the casual listener (which we would be) and it's certainly within our budget considerations. I've also perused the Crosley webpage without any knowledge if they are good or bad or somewhere in between. They do have integrated systems and quite frankly, I like the look of some of them. At any rate, we aren't sure where to start. We aren't audiophiles and we live in an apartment so we aren't looking to blow the building away with music. We would like, if such a thing exists, the ability to play both records and music on our computer or through our television and Playstation apps (Pandora, Spotify) via the system speakers. It looks like USB ports are somewhat standard but appear to be related to ripping records to digital files. We probably wouldn't want to spend more than $400-500 total - that seems like a realistic budget?

So the rough criteria:

• Budget of $500 dollars
  • Casual listener
  • Small footprint for the turntable
  • Decent speakers, but no need for high end
  • The ability to play music from computers/tv and Playstation apps (perhaps this would be a Bluetooth feature?) through the speakers
  • Whatever hookups to meet the above criteria

Dear board, what can you tell us? Thanks!

ETA wasn't sure if this should be here or in entertainment. Move as needed.

You can definitely get a decent Record player for casual use with $500!! I work in hmv - a big entertainment store so I can ask around my colleagues who might know better what's a good player for that budget but I would say the crosley  one's have some nice features and look nice but we've had quite a few sent back to the store for a refund due to bad sound quality so I would maybe stay away from them - maybe we only stock the crappy cheap ones (highest is only £100) but they don't seem all that great even for casual use. 

I'm sure youve seen this article but I will post just in case you haven't - 9 best turntables under 500 quid, so well within your budget 

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/gadgets-tech/best-turntables-under-500-record-players-8899911.html

That's tricky $500 for turntable and speakers, hmm.

The Rega is about 400 and you'll need a phono input, which cheap active speakers will not provide.

There are turntables with built-in phono stages and sometimes usb connectors, but the quality of those is often lacking.

The Technics I would have great doubts that it is in working condition when offered for less than $500. ;)  And again - no phono stage no speakers.

I would go for a something  like the Denon DP-300F which has a built-in phono stage and should cost no more than $250.

For speakers I'd sugest to look for something like the Roth POWA -5  (review) or the JBL LSR 305 if you don't need the dgital inputs.

The $500 was really just a baseline based on no real research on my part and because we aren't looking for something fancy or higher end. Is a $400 turntable within the price point for a casual listener? I get that people have preferences but do we really need a Riga or will a different brand/model suit us? We don't want something cheap either, but still. 

kair, I don't think you need a Rega. It is (if reviews can be believed) one of the best  turntables below  $500, but it offers no extras or comfort. For example, in order to play a 45 rpm disc you need to change the belt by hand. 

I just (took over 18 month)  bought a system (amp and speakers) to match my old Thorens TD 146, which is in the same league as the Rega RP 1 but a different beast. I spend roughly $1000.

Most integrated systems come with speakers that are lacking a lot.

I took a look at your links - The Audio Technica is probably as good as the Denon.  It has some features you probably won't need, but in case you want to comfortably digitize some records the USB connector will be nice.

The Project Debut Carbon is in the same league as the Rega.

The Crosley C10 looks just like a rebranded Project Debut (without the good carbon tonearm).

The Crosley C100 looks similar to the Audio Technica, but I don't trust it. Look at the Tonearm, it's the same as on the Music Hall USB-1

Various brands offer the same turntable for prices below $150 so $200 is probably overpriced.  On the other hand Music Hall is asking much more and has a decent reputation.

Yeah, I would definitely suggest that Audio Technica, (considering cost and your needs), with the Crosley c100 as a second choice. Stay the holy hell away from those cheaper Crowley models (keepsake, cruiser, etc.) those are utter garbage and have a good chance of actually fucking up records with their shitty styli and poor balance. 

As far as I know, the USB outputs on any of those is simply for ripping to digital, not for any kind of playback, your receiver will have to handle that. Cool if you have a bunch of old stuff to convert, but most records (or distros) will provide digital downloads with purchase these days

11 minutes ago, r'hllor's dirtbag lobster said:

Yeah, I would definitely suggest that Audio Technica, (considering cost and your needs), with the Crosley c100 as a second choice. Stay the holy hell away from those cheaper Crowley models (keepsake, cruiser, etc.) those are utter garbage and have a good chance of actually fucking up records with their shitty styli and poor balance. 

As far as I know, the USB outputs on any of those is simply for ripping to digital, not for any kind of playback, your receiver will have to handle that. Cool if you have a bunch of old stuff to convert, but most records (or distros) will provide digital downloads with purchase these days

Yes crosley cruiser is what my store sells :o honestly doesn't look like any good whatsoever. 

Some interesting offers,

Klipsch R-15PM turntable bundle for $599 

More info - probably the best speakers at this price - perfectly capable to blow the building away - the turntable very basic and offers no comfort in handling and won't sound much better than,

The Denon DP 300F

or

The Teac TN-300 (this one received a very good review in a german hifi mag and I like it's looks)

yeah a decent used Marantz, Yamaha, Technics etc. amp from the 1980s will probably have a better phono-preamp inbuilt that the cheap separate pre-amp you'll get today. And they will probably also be more durable and more solidly built than current stuff in a similar price range.

But I wonder, isn't "casual listener" and LP setup a contradiction in terms in 2016? Either you are into or want to get into LPs, a medium that has been for "dedicated" listeners for more than 20 years now because all more recent media are more convenient, then you should prepare to invest some learning, money and energy in your setup. Or you are a casual listener, than it is far more convenient to stick to streaming or CDs.

2 hours ago, Jo498 said:

yeah a decent used Marantz, Yamaha, Technics etc. amp from the 1980s will probably have a better phono-preamp inbuilt that the cheap separate pre-amp you'll get today. And they will probably also be more durable and more solidly built than current stuff in a similar price range.

But I wonder, isn't "casual listener" and LP setup a contradiction in terms in 2016? Either you are into or want to get into LPs, a medium that has been for "dedicated" listeners for more than 20 years now because all more recent media are more convenient, then you should prepare to invest some learning, money and energy in your setup. Or you are a casual listener, than it is far more convenient to stick to streaming or CDs.

Not at all. I have been buying and listening to records for like, 17 years, using pretty much the same simple set up I've had since I was in high school. 

Yeah, I'm with my crustaceous friend here: it's entirely possible to be a "casual" vinyl listener, even in this day and age. More to the point, I think casual really does come down to the amount of money one wants to sink into audio equipment. 

Kair -- avoid Rega and Pro-ject TTs. You have to take the damned platter off the spindle in order to switch from 33 to 45. Fuck. That. (or cough up another $150 for a box that will do that for you. Again: Fuck. That.) Audio-Technica is great -- we used those at the radio station. Total workhorses. It is worth it to upgrade your stylus -- less wear and tear on your records and better sound. Some caveats, which I get to in the next graf.

If you're buying new, buy through The Needle Doctor. They'll upgrade your stylus (aka cartridge) and balance your tone arm for you. Good prices, too. We have a Denon because I realized that I am too goddamned lazy to constantly monitor the turntable. Thus, "fully automatic" is the way to go for me. With the Audio-Technica, you have to manually shut it off after the side is done and move the tone-arm back to start.

So, it really comes down to the type of listener you are/think you will be. Mr. X and me? We put records on when the cocktails make an appearance, so it's all about ease-of-use. For those who like to hover over their stuff, it's worth it to invest in slightly higher-end components. 

Archived