Tyrion is a Targaryen

He is a Lannister and a Targaryen.  Much like Jon Snow is a Stark and a Targaryen (if the strongly acclaimed tinfoil is to be true). The three headed dragon proves this, for Rhaegar thought he himself was one of them, he thought Aegon was the other but "there's one more".  Three heads has the dragon.  Plus there are three black glass candles at Oldtown, with one green candle.  Baratheons have Valyrian blood and have fought side by side of the Targaryens up to Robert's Rebellion, and I think the green candle represents Gendry while the three black ones are Daenerys, Jon, Tyrion.

”It is said that the glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Night-Walker, that have not burned in a hundred years.”

Xaro Xhoan Daxos to Daenerys

Tyrion is a Lannister.

''But Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you''

Genna to Jaime in A Feast for Crows,

That seems like a foreshadowing to me. Besides, when Tyrion was born and even before, when Joanna got pregnant, Tywin had already moved away from King's Landing.

This theory has been around at least since ACOK was published, more than 15 years ago. You may be interested in looking for threats with the subject A+J=T (Aerys + Joanna = Tyrion), which should cover the most standard version of the theory.

While the theory was defended by very vocal fans, it had never been widely accepted. However, Barristan's chapters in ADWD gave much more weight to the theory and now it's a strong possibility.

And welcome to the forums!

22 hours ago, Shadow of Asshai said:

Tyrion is a Lannister.

Genna to Jaime in A Feast for Crows,

That seems like a foreshadowing to me. Besides, when Tyrion was born and even before, when Joanna got pregnant, Tywin had already moved away from King's Landing.

Joanna is brought to KL around the time she would have gotten pregnant with Tyrion.  The timeline doesn't work for Cersei and Jaime, but works for Tyrion.

On 12/13/2016 at 7:49 AM, The hairy bear said:

This theory has been around at least since ACOK was published, more than 15 years ago. You may be interested in looking for threats with the subject A+J=T (Aerys + Joanna = Tyrion), which should cover the most standard version of the theory.

While the theory was defended by very vocal fans, it had never been widely accepted. However, Barristan's chapters in ADWD gave much more weight to the theory and now it's a strong possibility.

And welcome to the forums!

Thank you!  I am reading the AWOIAF at the moment, and there seems to be a common occurrence among Targaryens to have monsters born.  Tyrion's birth description seems to imply this theory as well.

On 12/13/2016 at 8:59 AM, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

who isn't by now? from a writer's perspective, imo, it takes from dany's storyline... she's the last dragon, a targaryen across the narrow sea, all of a sudden everyone is a targ? it takes from one angle and it really doesn't power up the other ones

I think it is necessary element in the story telling that Tyrion is a Targaryen. Not anyone else. Gendry already has Targaryen or Valyrian blood via Baratheon family line (I'll have to fact check which one later).  If you look at his family's perspective, his father was ALL about family.  His family is a complete joke, with his two eldest engaging in incest and only having offspring rumored to be born of incest, and Tyrion.  The evidence for Tyrion being a Targ is pretty concrete, so him being an illegitimate Targaryen child would just add to the story.  Tyrion killing off Tywin's line would flip the Rains of Castamere narrative on him by cutting of his legacy.  If you look at all the Lannister dreams from ASoS, AFfC, and ADwD, Tyrion laughing creates this idea.

Also :Tyrion being named "Tywin's bane/doom"

On 12/13/2016 at 7:48 AM, Shadow of Asshai said:

Tyrion is a Lannister.

Genna to Jaime in A Feast for Crows.

The thing is this COULD be just a biased or something to let our guards down. I think it's saying more that Tyrion is much more like Tywin than Jaime is.  There is the instance where Tywin says "I cannot prove you are not mine" which counters this idea.

And even IF he was an illegitimate Targaryen bastard, his mother is still of Lannister blood.

2 hours ago, Tyrion the Targaryen said:

Thank you. But Joanna doesn't have to sleep with Aerys for the twins to be illegitimate. BTW, who is number two on her list?

It took me a minute to realize what you meant.  I was originally just named aryagonnakill, but years ago the forum went through some modifications and the only way to get your name back was to get a new password sent to your email, and I no longer had the email address, so I just added a #2.  However if she does wind up killing whoever she names 2nd on her list that's totally what I meant.

2 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

It took me a minute to realize what you meant.  I was originally just named aryagonnakill, but years ago the forum went through some modifications and the only way to get your name back was to get a new password sent to your email, and I no longer had the email address, so I just added a #2.  However if she does wind up killing whoever she names 2nd on her list that's totally what I meant.

Holy shit.  You too?  I'm going to PM you.

Archived