Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

13 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

ps I wish I was 13 when I first read the Felurian chapters.

Well, yes. It really is teenage male wish-fulfilment, to the point where you almost start to wonder if Rothfuss was typing those scenes one-handed. Though Rothfuss was in his late 30s when the book came out, and now is in his early 40s...  

I haven't read Rothfuss yet but the fact that he only has two books out is actually a good thing to me.  At the moment it's hard to combine my love of epic fantasy with the fact that I'm really burned out on long series.  It's weird, like even though I think Robin Hobb for instance is a brilliant writer, at the moment I can't fathom reading nine more books in the Elderings setting.  Maybe I should finally give Rothfuss a go. 

On 12/14/2016 at 10:01 PM, Astromech said:

Can't remove quote box for some reason, please ignore. 

I'd wait honestly. See if the third book ever actually comes out before you get invested in the story. 

After my experience with KKC, ASOIAF and the Gentlemen Bastards series I'm thinking I'll make a rule for myself about never starting unfinished series again. 

A rule I'll no doubt break anyway >.>

43 minutes ago, stonebender said:

I haven't read Rothfuss yet but the fact that he only has two books out is actually a good thing to me.  At the moment it's hard to combine my love of epic fantasy with the fact that I'm really burned out on long series.  It's weird, like even though I think Robin Hobb for instance is a brilliant writer, at the moment I can't fathom reading nine more books in the Elderings setting.  Maybe I should finally give Rothfuss a go. 

It's not a short series though, it's an unfinished series. The second book in particular does not stand alone well.

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

I'd wait honestly. See if the third book ever actually comes out before you get invested in the story. 

After my experience with KKC, ASOIAF and the Gentlemen Bastards series I'm thinking I'll make a rule for myself about never starting unfinished series again. 

A rule I'll no doubt break anyway >.>

I said the same thing about not starting Rothfuss. Then I ran out of other stuff to read :/

On 12/13/2016 at 2:43 PM, Seiche said:

Pay attention to the Tarbean section and let us know if Kvothe loses his name/sanity during this time and then is snapped back into reality from having his Name spoken to him by Skarpi. That was an observation which I haven't been back to check on my own, but maybe is worth your attention as you revisit the story.

I just finished the Tarbean part (well, mostly, Kvothe is currently parading around like a dickhead buying clothes). He starts remembering things about his past before Skarpi says his name, but it's only after that he remembers his lessons with Ben and starts exercising his mind again and whatnot and makes the decision to get outta town. 

So he remembers some things but not others, and is always consciously forcing down the old memories as they come up. I don't think there's any magical influence going on or that he lost his mind, he just didn't want to remember because the memories were too painful. Hearing his name and being forcefully reminded of what happened to his parents by Skarpi getting in trouble for the same thing (telling stories about Lanre and the Chandrian) just forced him to confront the memories finally instead of ignoring them. That's my take.

ETA: Also, Trapis knows Kvothe by name. So presumably Skarpi saying it wasn't the first time he heard it while he was in Tarbean. Of course there might be the whole "true name" thing going on, where Skarpi didn't actually say "Kvothe", and that's just what Kvothe heard. Trapis doesn't call Kvothe by his name (on page at least) until after Skarpi does though, so maybe there's something there. :dunno: 

Just got through the "On The Horns" chapter and it reminded me of something that always bugged me about the book. Not sure if I ever mentioned it in these threads before. 

Master Lorren says the punishment for Malfeasance is some amount of lashes and expulsion. Why would they be handing out whippings and expulsions as punishments for the same thing? If you're going to be expelled anyway, what authority do they have to whip you? What leverage is there to keep you around for it? I'd just bail. 

Unless they're using their magic to kill and/or restrain students who don't turn up for their whipping, which would seem very out of character for all of them. Except maybe Hemm. 

6 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Just got through the "On The Horns" chapter and it reminded me of something that always bugged me about the book. Not sure if I ever mentioned it in these threads before. 

Master Lorren says the punishment for Malfeasance is some amount of lashes and expulsion. Why would they be handing out whippings and expulsions as punishments for the same thing? If you're going to be expelled anyway, what authority do they have to whip you? What leverage is there to keep you around for it? I'd just bail. 

Unless they're using their magic to kill and/or restrain students who don't turn up for their whipping, which would seem very out of character for all of them. Except maybe Hemm. 

Maybe if the punishment is lashings and expulsion it would be given out immediately  (rather than waiting for the crowd and making it a big public spectacle). That's the only thing I can think of.

10 hours ago, Lord Barger said:

Maybe if the punishment is lashings and expulsion it would be given out immediately  (rather than waiting for the crowd and making it a big public spectacle). That's the only thing I can think of.

Then I'd turn and leave the room immediately :P 

It just seems weird and pointlessly sadistic to me. I mean the fact that a bunch of people who are supposedly intelligent and forward thinking and whatever are handing out whippings as punishment at all seems really odd to begin with, but surely if you're going to be using corporal punishment, it's the implied threat of expulsion that makes people submit to it. As in, we've got to teach you a lesson for this thing you did, so you can show up for your lashes or we'll be forced to take more drastic action (suspension or expulsion). 

Once you're expelling someone there's no real point in the whipping besides petty 'vengeance' (that's the wrong word but I can't think of a better one). They're already facing the worst punishment you have at your disposal, and by expelling them you are also relinquishing any authority you once had over them.

18 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Maybe I've just internalised Bakker's world too much but I always felt the University was nuts to expell anyone, you'd think they'd just kill them to consolidate their power.  They shouldn't tolerate any lone wizards.

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Then I'd turn and leave the room immediately :P 

It just seems weird and pointlessly sadistic to me. I mean the fact that a bunch of people who are supposedly intelligent and forward thinking and whatever are handing out whippings as punishment at all seems really odd to begin with, but surely if you're going to be using corporal punishment, it's the implied threat of expulsion that makes people submit to it. As in, we've got to teach you a lesson for this thing you did, so you can show up for your lashes or we'll be forced to take more drastic action (suspension or expulsion). 

Once you're expelling someone there's no real point in the whipping besides petty 'vengeance' (that's the wrong word but I can't think of a better one). They're already facing the worst punishment you have at your disposal, and by expelling them you are also relinquishing any authority you once had over them.

Its mentioned before that many of their rules are not intelligent and foward thinking. I believe its in the university section of Wise Mans Fear, but Kvothe mentions how dumb it is that all the masters should have a say in tuition rates rather than just the one the student deals with the most frequently. Really what do the other masters know of their progress and aptitude; they only ask one question during the exam. Their are several laws/rules in this world that are outdated. Such as when Kvothe was brought up on the Iron law for witchcraft? I can't remember, but it was the reason he left the university. 

On 12/16/2016 at 2:54 PM, williamjm said:

The thing I found a bit disconcerting about Kvothe's frequent poverty is that several times he did manage to acquire a reasonable amount of money but he then always seemed to contrive a way of losing it again and ending up back in poverty. Sometimes this happened for good reasons, but at times he seemed a bit too blasé about spending it given how much effort it had taken him to get it (I'll admit I can't really remember the details now, but I remember thinking that at the time).

Sounds fairly realistic to me

• 2 weeks later...

With the writing process apparently having begun for the TV series, and the TV series apparently not focusing on Kvothe's story but rather expanding the universe of The KKC, I've been wondering about where they're going to go with it. 

Does anyone else think a show that focused on one of the gillers (or a group of them) who work in acquisitions for the Archives could be really cool? Cause I think that could be really cool. Also with all the traveling they do and the fact that they're seeking out rare, important books it'd be easy to work in more lore about the world and such. 

Archived