Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

4 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

With the writing process apparently having begun for the TV series, and the TV series apparently not focusing on Kvothe's story but rather expanding the universe of The KKC, I've been wondering about where they're going to go with it. 

Does anyone else think a show that focused on one of the gillers (or a group of them) who work in acquisitions for the Archives could be really cool? Cause I think that could be really cool. Also with all the traveling they do and the fact that they're seeking out rare, important books it'd be easy to work in more lore about the world and such. 

That would be cool.  

That said are fans of the books who are excited about the series going to be upset when they don't get their favorite red haired uber-mensch anti-hero every week?

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That would be cool.  

That said are fans of the books who are excited about the series going to be upset when they don't get their favorite red haired uber-mensch anti-hero every week?

Probably :P 

That's what the movies are supposed to be though, which doesn't make me very hopeful about them. I have no idea how they could possibly hope to make each book translate well into a single film. There's just too much.

1 minute ago, KiDisaster said:

Probably :P 

That's what the movies are supposed to be though, which doesn't make me very hopeful about them. I have no idea how they could possibly hope to make each book translate well into a single film. There's just too much.

I don't think Kvothe's story translates well to screen in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished my re-read this afternoon. As expected, am now sad and impatient for Day 3 yet again :P 

About to start Slow Regard for the first time. Might see about getting the other two short stories after that. Haven't read them either. 

I'm pretty sure that Martin just spilled coffee on his ancient Wordstar PC, lost a year of progress, and is trying to catch up with an entirely new manuscript. Also, I think he's done this every three years or so since 2001, 

I truly don't know which major novel will be published first, Doors or Winds. Honestly, I've found so many other great authors in the past decade that my expectations have dampened enormously for those two heavyweight releases. I just don't give much of a shit any more, though it will be great once they actually come into existence. 

5 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm pretty sure that Martin just spilled coffee on his ancient Wordstar PC, lost a year of progress, and is trying to catch up with an entirely new manuscript. Also, I think he's done this every three years or so since 2001, 

I truly don't know which major novel will be published first, Doors or Winds. Honestly, I've found so many other great authors in the past decade that my expectations have dampened enormously for those two heavyweight releases. I just don't give much of a shit any more, though it will be great once they actually come into existence. 

The operative word since Rothfuss has already finished the series ;)

26 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I'm curious what others think about this. Do we think he was lying about having the whole trilogy finished before TNotW was published, or that it really is drafted and he just can't be fucked to finish it? Is there a general consensus out there?

From what I understand, the original trilogy he claims to have written in full was really only an outline in parts (Stuff Happens Here). I think his issue is that he enjoys being an author more than he actually enjoys writing, and he is an obsessive editor (which I can understand).

And yes, Winds of Winter will appear before Doors of Stone.

Yeah, Rothfuss said that when he went back to what he thought were complete, editor-ready drafts of the second and third books, they were a lot rougher than he remembered. WMF was 250,000 words compared to the final 400,000, and a couple of what became major characters weren't in it at all. You'd think he would have taken some time to look at those drafts before making "It's done!" a selling point, but whatever.

GRRM at least sounds like he regrets how long the books are taking. Maybe he's just saying the right things (though I personally think he's sincere), but at least he bothers to say them.

I find the author's forward in The Slow Regard of Silent Things humorous since it reads like he was forced to write it. I imagine his publisher threatening him for something, anything to publish when I read that note.

Oh, I think the not-doneness of the third book bothers Rothfuss hugely. One of his blog posts -- during, yes, the most recent Worldbuilders campaign, so focused largely on that -- found him in a very reflective mood, basically saying straight up that he's better at all the parts of being a writer that aren't the actual writing, and he sounded very unhappy and disheartened about the state of things. Rothfuss has a big mouth and an energetic mouth-seeking foot a lot of the time, but I think his long periods of silence and/or deflection cause people to see malevolence or indifference where those things are probably not present at all. Yes, it would be nice to at least hear the occasional "nope, still not done," but some authors find those sorts of updates work well for them and some find them increased stressors; Rothfuss is one of the latter. Everybody works differently. This series has loomed over a decade of his public life; it dominated his creative endeavors long before that. The Doors of Stone is the culmination of decades of work and personal growth as a writer with the world watching and it cannot be bad. This is fertile ground for the obsessive editor within. I think what's going on here is entirely sympathetic -- it's too bad for everyone involved, but it's totally understandable.

On 1/27/2017 at 6:53 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I'd be more understanding if he didn't troll his fans constantly by jumping up and down going LOOK GUYS IM NOT WRITING THE BOOK LOL VIDEO GAMES.

That's the only part that I find aggravating as well. He just got some big money for the TV deal, so he has almost zero personal motivation to slog away on Book 3.  One of the readings of his that I attended, he talked about the differences between the "HUGE SINGLE VOLUME OF KINGKILLER CHRONICLES" and the version of Name of the Wind that was eventually published. I seem to recall him saying that it wasn't just the 150,000 extra words, it was the fact that he added the framing story, and I think he also mentioned the character of Auri arrived very late in the game.  Then when it was time for Book 2, he had to add in the framing story to that, as well as all of the connective tissue between the framing story and the story itself. 

Anyway, as others have said, I think we'll break Winds before we get Doors of Stoned. 

Archived