Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Lynch, Sanderson and Weeks are pretty recent (within the last year). Abercrombie's figures are a bit older.

ok,so Rothfuss still beats all of them when taking sales/book stats!! wow,how did he sell so many books? Was the 'word of mouth' so great for these 2 books? Did DAW spend a lot of money on advertising? I don't get it.

2 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

"Harry Potter for adults,"

I thought this was the blurb for The Magicians :P

I am curious to see if anything of note is mentioned during the chat today. I am somewhat surprised to not be cynically assuming that it'll be nothing.

The CEO of the company I used to work for had read these books before me and recommended them to me. He is a 55 year old man very active in the Church of Christ (an EXTREMELY conservative church). If a guy like him has read them there is a lot of mass exposure.

Haha, I love Pat's writing, but had quite the eyeroll with this answer, especially the bolded part:

What’s his biggest fear in releasing book 3?

I don’t really have a big fear about releasing book 3. I’m really looking forward to releasing book 3. Any fears that I have about releasing the book are extraordinarily metatextual and ephemeral. Because I work until I am really certain that the book is as good as I can make it, and so my fear of releasing any book is what is the effect—it’s not like “will they enjoy it?” because I wouldn’t release it unless I was pretty sure it was as good as I could make it and that people would enjoy it. My fear is, what is the larger effect of my book on the world and on the minds of the people who take the time to consume it? Am I contributing in a positive way to the overall kind of collective consciousness of people in the world? I worry about that.

I couldn't agree more with the comment from the Tor page:

Rothfuss is worrried about the impact his book will have on the “collective consciousness” of the world.   Holy shit, no damn wonder we’ll be waiting until 2020 to read book 3.   I give up.  Wake me up when the 20th anniv edition of NoTW is released.  Perhaps Patrick will have figured out by then we just want a damn story, not a soul cleansing life changing epiphany from his words. Good frickin grief it’s just so self-indulgently absurd.

This line was particularly discouraging:

It’s at best a star and a half because I dismantled a big piece of it and haven’t quite put it back together.

It sounds like the predictions that Rothfuss were making no progress were incorrect, he is in fact making negative progress.

Archived