Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

What annoyed me way more than the Felurian part on this last re-read was Kvothe's #notallmen moment after he kills the fake Ruh troupe. Also the thing with the tavern waitress right after he comes back from the Fae is way more eye-roll inducing than the actual fairy sex. 

On 2/3/2017 at 10:21 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I dunno if that's what his personality is like in real life but I find it really grating reading his interviews. Gah, get a grip man

I must have been slowly inoculated over the years. I found the quotes within that summary to be downright direct and...normal. The bit about the impact on our collective consciousness is funny, but the rest seemed to be devoid of the familiar notes of sanctimony, defensiveness and braggadocio. Then again it was on TOR...maybe they avoided some less flattering exchanges. I did not watch the event itself.

6 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

What annoyed me way more than the Felurian part on this last re-read was Kvothe's #notallmen moment after he kills the fake Ruh troupe. Also the thing with the tavern waitress right after he comes back from the Fae is way more eye-roll inducing than the actual fairy sex. 

Oh I've ben tempted to start a Rothfuss and Women Thread several times over the years, don't get me started.

Well, the one thing

Well ok two things stand out.

The blog post he wrote about The Hobbit films were he compares them to seeing a cute girl he had a crush on at a strip club, or what have you.

And the AMA he did were he went into details about his female characters cup sizes.

3 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Should we start calling you Dr. Not Caustic now?

Nah, it just would take more googling then I feel up to these days.

• 2 weeks later...

TNotW anniversary hardcover edition will be published October 3rd.

https://www.amazon.com/Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicle/dp/0756413710/

This deluxe anniversary hardcover includes:

• Brand-new author’s note 
• Gorgeous, never-before-seen illustrations by artist Dan Dos Santos
• Beautifully detailed and updated world map by artist Nate Taylor
• Appendix detailing calendar system and currencies
• Pronunciation guide of names and places
• Editor’s note by Rothfuss’ Hugo Award-winning editor, Betsy Wollheim

Looking forward to the new world map.

Perhaps, when you're not too happy about people pestering you for your next book, it's not a great idea to point out indirectly that it's been eight years since that book should have been published (according to yourself, anyway).

YMMV.

19 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Perhaps, when you're not too happy about people pestering you for your next book, it's not a great idea to point out indirectly that it's been eight years since that book should have been published (according to yourself, anyway).

YMMV.

People hold on to that quote like it's the Gospel.  No wonder he keeps mostly mum about his writing.

27 minutes ago, scortius the charioteer said:

People hold on to that quote like it's the Gospel.  No wonder he keeps mostly mum about his writing.

Yeah, it's crazy. It's like both Rothfuss and his publisher repeatedly said all three books were 100% done and finished long before Book 1 came out ("and look at this excerpt from Book 2 I published as a short story in 2002 to prove it!"), and that he wasn't going to make people wait "like certain other authors HA HA HA HA" and that people could give him their money in total confidence because they weren't going to have to wait five years per book, but only two years in total with the entire trilogy finished by 2009.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

He doesn't keep mum, he publicly makes a point to let everyone know he isn't writing. Because his life is so hard.

As far as I know, most writers only write a couple of hours a day, and he has vaguely stated before that writing is not a linear process to him.

Archived