Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

On 2/4/2017 at 5:46 PM, Triskan said:

Is Rothfuss the guy who also said there's no such thing as writer's block because you just write?  

Here's the quote you're looking for:

You have mentioned at con panels that writers block is a myth. Where does the myth stem from, and how does it surface in your own writing habits?

The myth stems from the belief that writing is some mystical process. That it’s magical. That it abides by its own set of rules different from all other forms of work, art, or play.

But that’s bullshit. Plumbers don’t get plumber’s block. Teachers don’t get teacher’s block. Soccer players don’t get soccer block. What makes writing different?

Nothing. The only difference is that writers feel they have a free pass to give up when writing is hard.

As for the second part of your question, asking how it surfaces in my writing habits is like saying. “So, you’ve said that Bigfoot doesn’t exist…. When’s the last time you saw him?”

When writing is hard, I grit my teeth and I do it anyway. Because it’s my job.

Or sometimes I don’t. Sometimes its hard and I quit and go home and play video games.

But let’s be clear. When that happens, it’s not because I’ve lost some mystical connection with my muse. It’s because I’m being a slacker. There’s nothing magical about that.

LINK

Yeah, he used to give his "plumber's block" answer/speech all the time. Seems to have fallen out of the rotation for some reason....

The internet is forever though, so it's handy to quote when people say that Pat has writer's block and to take it easy on him.

Here's another old answer from Pat that's been "retired":

On 8/6/2011 at 4:26 PM, EXWHYZEE said:

There is a LOT for Kvothe to do before the series ends. He has to kill a king, get thrown out of university, (possibly) find the Chandarian and start a war.

Does it ever concern you that you have to fit all that into one book?

Thanks!

Not really. I know exactly where I'm going.

Maybe someone will go to the mic at a comic con Q&A and ask "how's the plumber's block?" Then ask "how's the teacher's block?" Then say, "One more question: How's the soccer..."

Maybe the Kingkiller Trilogy is merely the greatest literary Troll of all time.  There isn't a third book, there will never be a third book.  (Yes, it's a joke).

Now that he's going to have Hollywood money, at least he'll be able to produce a more high quality stream of his gaming.

2 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

This is just asking for snark:

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2017/03/fee-fie-faux/

The worst 300-word Rothfuss parody you can construct.

Sooooooo when I clicked to close the tab that link opened, it asked me if I was sure I wanted to leave that page.  FUCK YES I WANT TO GET AWAY FROM THAT CONCEITED ASSHOLE'S WEBSITE! :bang: 

Archived