Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Far be it from me to interrupt the hate-jerk you guys have got going on right now, but I thought The Lightning Tree was pretty cool. 

Is that the one about Bast or the one where the tree is the viewpoint character? If the former, agree, was great. 

Just now, unJon said:

Is that the one about Bast or the one where the tree is the viewpoint character? If the former, agree, was great. 

The Bast one. The tree one is called "How old holly came to be" I think, I haven't read that one. 

33 minutes ago, unJon said:

Right. The holly tree story was a bit, um, different. 

Certainly sounded that way :P

I'll give it a shot at some point. It can't be much weirder than Slow Regard and I loved that one, so. 

I am really not bothered with supposed delays of publishing books, both from Martin or Rothfuss, but truth be told, Rothfuss is directly responsible for most of the 'Rothfuss bashing' on here. People just act back in the same or similar manner he acts towards the public online.

I believe that both Martin and Rothfuss have perfectly good reasons for delays. In Martin's case I came to believe that it could perhaps be due to contractual or promotional issues with HBO and that they are careful to time the release so that both the book and the show receive maximum hype and don't steal the thunder from one another. Rothfuss on the other hand has (I suppose) always been that Kvothe-friendzoned-with-Denna nerdy character who stole away from the campus to watch the cool bands play, from the outside looking in, fantasizing how it would be to be one of the cool guys. Now that he is flush with cash, he can finally be, or at least try to act like them. I am not saying that's who he is in person, but he is definitely acting (and writing) like it.

2 hours ago, Jerry Drake said:

In Martin's case I came to believe that it could perhaps be due to contractual or promotional issues with HBO and that they are careful to time the release so that both the book and the show receive maximum hype and don't steal the thunder from one another. 

Believe me. Martin is not sitting on the manuscript, cackling to himself about when it would be most profitable to release. Release date is something the publisher sorts after they've got their hands on the book.

Martin simply hasn't finished the manuscript yet.

3 hours ago, Jerry Drake said:

In Martin's case I came to believe that it could perhaps be due to contractual or promotional issues with HBO and that they are careful to time the release so that both the book and the show receive maximum hype and don't steal the thunder from one another.

How do you figure releasing season 6 of the show hasn't stolen any thunder from the book? Despite all the differences between the books and the show (stopping with Dance With Dragons and season 5), there were some pretty massive cliffhangers at the end of Dance With Dragons that were resolved in the TV show.

It's not as if show watchers would've read 5 books to catch up with the story and then read Winds of Winter had it been released before season 6 premiere.

5 hours ago, baxus said:

How do you figure releasing season 6 of the show hasn't stolen any thunder from the book? Despite all the differences between the books and the show (stopping with Dance With Dragons and season 5), there were some pretty massive cliffhangers at the end of Dance With Dragons that were resolved in the TV show.

It's not as if show watchers would've read 5 books to catch up with the story and then read Winds of Winter had it been released before season 6 premiere.

Well I meant more from the promotional side of things. Look I don't really know how those things work, I just figured that everyone is in a bit of a pickle as Martin is going to finish the book one day and when he does, when would you release it? I would guess sometime around Christmas time as its almost equally away from the ending of a season and a beginning of a new one.

For me the show didn't ruin the cliffhangers at all. I am confident that all the spoilery stuff that happened in the show (or most of it) will still happen in the book, but I suspect in a totally different way, with a different perspective and possibly different consequences for the characters. Books are safe as far as popularity goes, since they were successful long time before the show. While the show would not be exactly damaged or ruined at all when the book comes out, but the differences would be put into sharp contrast and I am certain that they would not put the show in a good light. Books are just way better, which is hardly surprising as Martin is far better writer than Benioff and Weiss are. Then again, Martin is a far better writer than most people.

As redeagl said, difference between Martin and Rothfuss is that Martin comes off as sincere when he speaks about the progress of writing of the next book, while Rothfuss gets his prick side show. For all we know Rothfuss could be closer to finishing Doors of Stone than Martin is to finishing The Winds of Winter though I doubt it. But even so, Rothfuss seems like a prick because he acts like one in his dealings with the public, while Martin always seems like he is caught between a rock and a hard place and is trying his best.

4 hours ago, Jerry Drake said:

Look I don't really know how those things work, I just figured that everyone is in a bit of a pickle as Martin is going to finish the book one day and when he does, when would you release it?

ASAP. There's no reason to sit on it. IIRC there was about 2-3 months between when GRRM said he was done with A Dance with Dragons and when it was published, which is crazy fast for the publishing industry. But when you've got that many guaranteed day 1 sales just waiting you streamline the process. And there was only 1 season of the show out at the time, the books have only become more popular since.

17 hours ago, Jerry Drake said:

As redeagl said, difference between Martin and Rothfuss is that Martin comes off as sincere when he speaks about the progress of writing of the next book, while Rothfuss gets his prick side show. For all we know Rothfuss could be closer to finishing Doors of Stone than Martin is to finishing The Winds of Winter though I doubt it. But even so, Rothfuss seems like a prick because he acts like one in his dealings with the public, while Martin always seems like he is caught between a rock and a hard place and is trying his best.

Yep. Martin has a life - and every right to it - and sometimes posts about his hobbies like football. But he would not post a video, "look at me waching football instead of writing Winds."

He's unhappy himself with the slow progress but writing is not only about discipline. Sure, you can sit down every day at a given time and force yourself to write for 2 hours, but the result will suck rotten poataoes when it doesn't flow, so next day you'll go an try to rewrite the crap and get frustrated because the changes don't look any better. But when the writing flows you can forget the world and write for several hours straight and still love the result the next day and the day after. It's on those days good books get written. Some writers may be lucky to get more of those days than others, and maybe having an outline helps if you're not naturally a gardener, thus the faster output of someone like Sanderson who is definitely an architect. (I'm a gardener myself and no outline in the world would make me write faster, on the contrary.)

Rothfuss probably is a gardener and someone who cares about every sentence, every word, but other than Martin he doesn't even seem to try to sit down and get some writing / editing done in the hope that the flow will come eventually.

Martin does get the flow sometimes as his hope to finish Winds prior to the release of season 6 shows. Or some of his mistaken predictions about Dance which he likely made at times when the writing went well. And then came a row of suck days. We can only wish him luck and lots of good writing days. 

And we can wish Rothfuss to grow up. ;) 

I'm really not opposed to what Rothfuss does, but the way he does it really grates. He wants to stream video games? Fine. He wants to promote his charity by "showing his writing process"? Good for him. He wants to elicit sympathy by implying he is expected to only write and do nothing else? To gloat over how his fans are actually normal people that don't expect him to write 24/7 and want him to spend his time as he sees fit despite his many assertions to the contrary? He needs to get over himself.

There is no real comparison. Rothfuss actively lied about the state of completion of his series and directly leveraged that - even making a comparison with Martin's writing speed! - to get readers to "trust him" and buy the books immediately rather than wait until they were all out.

Martin getting his estimates wrong doesn't compare, at all.

Rothfuss probably had a trilogy worth of material when he submitted, and I bet the publisher was happy enough to jump on the 'it's finished'-train. He then realised that a bit of editing won't do because it was a worse mess than he  thought and would require a complete rewrite. What I do blame him for is that he never came out about that, explained and apologised for the delay. 

On 3/7/2017 at 11:58 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Oh every author has a rabid almost religious like fan group somewhere. I've been banned from the Melanie Rawn forums, well, when they still existed, more times than i can count. But yeah even I think this is starting to get a little mean.

Where do the Tairy,Stanek and Robert Newcomb groupies hang out? :P

Banned from the Rawn forums? Tell me more! :D

Archived