Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

44 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Where do the Tairy,Stanek and Robert Newcomb groupies hang out? :P

Banned from the Rawn forums? Tell me more! :D

You never visited the Stanek forum before?  it is absolutely hilarious given the fact that it was just the poor guy talking to himself.I joined a Tairy fan group in Facebook a couple of months ago, a couple thousand members there. It's very funny watching them but you have to be careful, they have like 12 admins and a small wrong word = ban.

1 hour ago, redeagl said:

You never visited the Stanek forum before?  it is absolutely hilarious given the fact that it was just the poor guy talking to himself.

I just took a look at it. Dear god - the sheer effort he put into making those hundreds of sock-puppets and thousands of posts.

17 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Let's also remember that Martin is more than than twenty years older than Rothfuss. He wrote a lot faster when he was in his 40s. He's also writing a much longer and more complex story, with a lot more moving parts to keep on track with each other. Both reasons why I'm not a big fan of the Martin/Rothfuss comparison.

That being said, my issues with Rothfuss as a writer have never been with the pace at which he puts out material. And honestly, by griping so much about it we're kind of just making it that much easier him to lump in other legitimate criticisms as "people whining about book three" and then dismiss them en masse.

Dude knows he should be writing, he just isn't going to. He's set financially, and for some people that kills their motivation to continue working. You see it all the time when NFL players sign their big contract and then stop putting in the work in the gym.

8 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Where do the Tairy,Stanek and Robert Newcomb groupies hang out? :P

Banned from the Rawn forums? Tell me more! :D

Well, imagine Doors of Stone is 12 years overdue now, and there's a forum where Rothfuss posts personally. Now imagine he anoucnes he's writing a 6 book series about *insert bullshit* and Doors of Stone is on indefinite hold. We were, uh not happy. PRetty much 99 percent of the forum got banned, and it now has like..3 active users.

Rothfuss probably had a trilogy worth of material when he submitted, and I bet the publisher was happy enough to jump on the 'it's finished'-train. He then realised that a bit of editing won't do because it was a worse mess than he  thought and would require a complete rewrite. What I do blame him for is that he never came out about that, explained and apologised for the delay. 

He did, eventually, but this was maybe two years ago when he finally explained this, or about eight years after he should have explained it.

20 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I just took a look at it. Dear god - the sheer effort he put into making those hundreds of sock-puppets and thousands of posts.

Not all of them are sockpuppets. I know a guy who used to post there regularly and actually likes Stanek's books. He even convinced a publisher in my country to translate and publish one of Stanek's masterpieces and then was shocked when it was a total flop on the market.

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

He did, eventually, but this was maybe two years ago when he finally explained this, or about eight years after he should have explained it.

Ah ok. I stopped reading his blog years ago. 

7 hours ago, David Selig said:

Not all of them are sockpuppets. I know a guy who used to post there regularly and actually likes Stanek's books. He even convinced a publisher in my country to translate and publish one of Stanek's masterpieces and then was shocked when it was a total flop on the market.

Someone who wasn't Stanek liked Stanek's books!!!!!.... :blink: 

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Link?

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2008/01/unhappy-announcement/

And for contrast, a later post that covers similar ground: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2012/07/why-i-love-my-editor/

In hindsight the 2008 version seems carefully worded to imply that books two and three were publishable but unpolished, while the 2012 version admits there were whole chapters that were just a vague five word outline.

16 minutes ago, Brendan Moody said:

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2008/01/unhappy-announcement/

And for contrast, a later post that covers similar ground: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2012/07/why-i-love-my-editor/

In hindsight the 2008 version seems carefully worded to imply that books two and three were publishable but unpolished, while the 2012 version admits there were whole chapters that were just a vague five word outline.

Thank you

Lol, if I wrote a lot of "something happens with Roderic here"and  "Alastair should meet Ragnhild in this chapter", I could call the first two books of Kings and Rebels finished. ;)

That first draft of The Wise Man's Fear must have been really rough. I wonder that the publisher and editor believed it could be sorted out in a year. 

Well, apparently Rothfuss has been writing something, he's done some work for an upcoming board game. Anything to keep him away from The Four Corners, amirite? Noted around the 2:55 mark if the selected time doesn't trigger in when I embed it:

He did some writing for Torment: Tides of Numenera as well, which has gotten pretty strong reviews. Although apparently his contributions were fairly minor (a few thousand words out of the million-odd in the game).

9 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah as much as I like to poop on Rothfuss I'm not going to get that outraged over some flavor text for a game.

I think it should be used to illustrate that is suffering from writer's block, and/or his general apathy towards finishing the trilogy. I should think any professional writer should be able to knock out a little flavor text for a board game with little effort.

11 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Honestly if he announced today that he's taking a three year hiatus from working on book 3, I wouldn't consider it some kind of great outrage. If I were a really big fan of the books it might annoy me a little bit, but I really don't think he has any obligation to finish it in our time table. Honestly, the idea that people invested into the books because they thought the second and third would be out in a few years is complete shit. Nobody puts off reading a book that they actually want to read for years just to get the whole story at once.

My issues have always been with his conduct as an artist and a public figure, not with the pace at which he puts out material.

He should actually do that. Just get away from it completely for awhile and see if his passion for it returns.

He seems to have already done that. Book 3 version 1.13 was last edited 8/14/2013. Book 3 version 1.14 was last edited 1/5/2016, nearly a 3 year gap. It would be way better if he came out and said: "I don't know when I'm going to do this. The muse isn't with me. Don't hold your breath. I'll let you know if I get inspired and finish it." or even "I'm done with this series. I have the story finished in my head but I can't get it to the page."

Perhaps, he's under pressure from Tor and from his TV deals not to admit any slip in schedule and to push for a 2018-ish release. The whole 10-year-edition seems to me like a "we need a product out there, give us what you can" move.

Archived