Playing video games

Going to conventions

Touring with Paul and Storm

Contributing to the writing for video games

Writing for mystery science theater 3k

Tak

Not Fun:

Sitting down and slogging through revisions/writing book 3 

Honestly, I'm amazed much gets done at all.

Honestly if he announced today that he's taking a three year hiatus from working on book 3, I wouldn't consider it some kind of great outrage. 

I think this would be fine, and almost worthwhile to see the internet reaction.

14 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Honestly if he announced today that he's taking a three year hiatus from working on book 3, I wouldn't consider it some kind of great outrage. If I were a really big fan of the books it might annoy me a little bit, but I really don't think he has any obligation to finish it in our time table. Honestly, the idea that people invested into the books because they thought the second and third would be out in a few years is complete shit. Nobody puts off reading a book that they actually want to read for years just to get the whole story at once.

My issues have always been with his conduct as an artist and a public figure, not with the pace at which he puts out material.

My uncle refuses to read the 2nd book until the third is out.  He also loved the first, but doesn't want another incomplete story.

18 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I think it should be used to illustrate that is suffering from writer's block, and/or his general apathy towards finishing the trilogy. I should think any professional writer should be able to knock out a little flavor text for a board game with little effort.

He should actually do that. Just get away from it completely for awhile and see if his passion for it returns.

It would probably be like, "three years of no pressure, what a relief. Now I can stop pretending that I work on the book when I don't feel like it. Three years is such a long time. I will eventually get back to the book."

Three years later: 

Oooooops.  :o

On 3/15/2017 at 4:25 PM, Let's Get Kraken said:

Honestly, the idea that people invested into the books because they thought the second and third would be out in a few years is complete shit. Nobody puts off reading a book that they actually want to read for years just to get the whole story at once.

There was a twelve year period were I basically refused to start any series that wasn't finished.  I still try to avoid avoid unfinished series if possible.

Honestly, the idea that people invested into the books because they thought the second and third would be out in a few years is complete shit.

No, it is not. The fact that the entire trilogy was complete was a major selling point in the marketing from Rothfuss, his editor and the publishers, mentioned numerous times in marketing materials and interviews. Rothfuss even made it clear he wasn't "another Martin" (before turning out to be far worse). They put a lot of stock in it, appealing directly to fantasy fans burned out on the wait for Martin and other authors.

They weren't expecting the book to sell 5 million copies and go mainstream in the way it did, so ultimately it was unnecessary. But there was a lot of SFF fans who invested in the series for that very reason. There was a lot of discussion about it here at the time.

On 3/15/2017 at 7:25 PM, Let's Get Kraken said:

Honestly if he announced today that he's taking a three year hiatus from working on book 3, I wouldn't consider it some kind of great outrage. If I were a really big fan of the books it might annoy me a little bit, but I really don't think he has any obligation to finish it in our time table. Honestly, the idea that people invested into the books because they thought the second and third would be out in a few years is complete shit. Nobody puts off reading a book that they actually want to read for years just to get the whole story at once.

My issues have always been with his conduct as an artist and a public figure, not with the pace at which he puts out material.

This is false. Precisely because of Martin and Rothfuss, I do not start series that look as if they may have completion issues.

On 3/15/2017 at 4:25 PM, Let's Get Kraken said:

Honestly, the idea that people invested into the books because they thought the second and third would be out in a few years is complete shit. Nobody puts off reading a book that they actually want to read for years just to get the whole story at once.

If this were true they wouldn't have made such a huge marketing push on the fact that it was complete. I'll tell you that the promise of timely realeses is what prompted me to buy NotW in hardcover, rather than waiting for the paperback.

On 3/17/2017 at 4:30 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How do you tell?  Read a new Dresden files novel recently?

That is hardly an apt comparison. Butcher has put out 16 books in the last 17 years. Just because he isn't publishing at the insane pace of one a year anymore doesn't mean he is anything less than prolific about this series.

My problem with Rothfus has more to do with dishonesty and arrogance rather than his writing schedule. He has handled this whole situation as poorly as it could have been handled. 

22 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

That is hardly an apt comparison. Butcher has put out 16 books in the last 17 years. Just because he isn't publishing at the insane pace of one a year anymore doesn't mean he is anything less than prolific about this series.

My problem with Rothfus has more to do with dishonesty and arrogance rather than his writing schedule. He has handled this whole situation as poorly as it could have been handled. 

My point is not that Butcher or Rothfuss are doing anything wrong.  My point is that there is no way to tell when an author is going to slow the pace of their writing when you start a series.  As I understand it Mr. Butcher has had some fairly serious things to deal with personally since the last Dresden Files novel was published.  We will get the next book when we get it.

As for Mr. Rothfuss I'm bothered by his dishonesty as well.  Nevertheless the kvetching about his lack of production does nothing to prompt faster work.  If you don't like his behavior... don't buy his books.

49 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My point is not that Butcher or Rothfuss are doing anything wrong.  My point is that there is no way to tell when an author is going to slow the pace of their writing when you start a series.  As I understand it Mr. Butcher has had some fairly serious things to deal with personally since the last Dresden Files novel was published.  We will get the next book when we get it.

As for Mr. Rothfuss I'm bothered by his dishonesty as well.  Nevertheless the kvetching about his lack of production does nothing to prompt faster work.  If you don't like his behavior... don't buy his books.

I don't think you are paying attention to the conversation. I am not complaining about his lack of production. I am saying that I dislike the way he has handled it. He can feel free to write or not whenever or however he wishes, and I can feel free to read it or not the same. 

I have every right to say that I have felt lied to and manipulated by both him and his publishers.

24 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

I don't think you are paying attention to the conversation. I am not complaining about his lack of production. I am saying that I dislike the way he has handled it. He can feel free to write or not whenever or however he wishes, and I can feel free to read it or not the same. 

I have every right to say that I have felt lied to and manipulated by both him and his publishers.

I'm not contradicting you.  I'm saying your comment serves no purpose beyond, maybe, catharsis.

I don't see what's wrong with catharsis. Some people are unhappy with Rothfuss and so come here to vent their frustration. I don't see why there needs to be any greater reason or purpose than that.

31 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I don't see what's wrong with catharsis. Some people are unhappy with Rothfuss and so come here to vent their frustration. I don't see why there needs to be any greater reason or purpose than that.

Does the need to bash Rothfuss have to be the primary purpose to what was, originally, the thread for discussing Rothfuss' novels?

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Does the need to bash Rothfuss have to be the primary purpose to what was, originally, the thread for discussing Rothfuss' novels?

The last Rothfuss novel came out six years ago. What more is there to discuss? Going back through this thread it seems to me that the "need to bash Rothfuss" is the only thing keeping it alive at this point. So I guess, yeah, it is the primary purpose of this thread now.

Archived