Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

10 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Times like these I want to start a Rothfuss and Women thread.

Kind of amazing isn't it?

For a guy that goes out of his way to tell us what a feminist he is, he comes off as a real creep sometimes. Maybe he thought he was empowering them through their sexuality and missed the mark?

32 minutes ago, Seiche said:

Well that story and the reaction here has me chuckling to myself on this Wednesday morning. I will thank Pat for that at least.

Generally, I really like Rothfuss' writing.  When he had Kvothe confront Aslan in a prior competition I really enjoyed that story.  This was just... terrible.

21 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

For a guy that goes out of his way to tell us what a feminist he is, he comes off as a real creep sometimes. Maybe he thought he was empowering them through their sexuality and missed the mark?

Certainly this.

And as a plot device it struck me as very lazy. Pat's writing can be quite clever, and in combination with his (at times very skillful) prose, made his two novels notable to me, whatever their flaws. This little bon mot was a real clunker on both fronts.

@SSAE I also recall the Aslan - Kvothe battle fondly. That was cool stuff.

It is easy to note the difference between the quality of writing coming when Pat was still young and hungry and itching to earn Kvothe some street cred within our world of nerds vs. this recent offering. Pat put his shoulder into the first effort and the product was good. Now there's no hunger and the product is limp and lazy.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Even if the Devi story wasn't great (which sucks because Devi is among my favorite characters in the series) I do think that blog entry was nice for its honesty.

Yes agree. I now feel a bit bad for all the bashing that has happened in this thread. But I'll get over it. 

7 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Yeah I don't think he knows what feminism is.

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to even doubt the existence of The Doors of Stone by this point. Surely Rothfuss must have set up a past and present and a myriad of questions on how they tie together, but no way to actually do so? The story about how Kvothe the epic wizard in a peaceful world became Kote the bartender in a war-torn world might be best left to the imagination, and Rothfuss might not intend to ruin that story by telling it.

9 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

I'm starting to even doubt the existence of The Doors of Stone by this point. Surely Rothfuss must have set up a past and present and a myriad of questions on how they tie together, but no way to actually do so? The story about how Kvothe the epic wizard in a peaceful world became Kote the bartender in a war-torn world might be best left to the imagination, and Rothfuss might not intend to ruin that story by telling it.

Well yes, he has to write it before it can exist.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I've actually started a spirited debate on a Kingkiller Chronicles Facebook site over whether Kvothe is actually a "villian" telling his story from his point of view.  

Ha, thats pretty good. I always liked the theory that kote isn't kvothe at all, just some crazy guy who thinks he is.

On 5/12/2017 at 7:12 AM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

There is something truly impressive about launching a tenth anniversary edition of The Name of the Wind as a cash grab, considering all a tenth anniversary edition does is remind everyone about The Doors of Stone delay.

To be fair, and as much as I love to shit on the dude, I imagine that was less Pat's decision and more the publisher.

Just now, Let's Get Kraken said:

Somebody who knows more about Rothfuss's specific publishing deal may be able to clarify, but even if the idea to do so was the publisher's, Rothfuss should still have final say over whether the edition is made, no?

I don't know why he would have to approve, but I'm sure he did (as I imagine it has a new fore- or afterward).  DAW is probably so pissed off at his delay that they were desperate to put out anything "new" from him that they possibly could.

So will we get tDoS before the 10th anniversary edition of tWMF is released?

On 14.5.2017 at 9:14 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Well yes, he has to write it before it can exist.

Not sure if I follow you here. An implied story can exist without the author putting a single word to the page in direct support of it, and fans can take any tiny shred of implied stories and turn them into enough materials to fill several novels. The author only needs to set up two cases and tell/imply that they are connected, and fans will spin wonderful tales connecting them on their own. Case in point. Rothfuss has written enough material to keep fans occupied for decades, trying to connect Kvothe and Kote, not to mention what happens after the tale is told, and he can perfectly well retire without writing a single more page of the series. If so, it might be that it was the plan all along.

1 hour ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

Not sure if I follow you here. An implied story can exist without the author putting a single word to the page in direct support of it, and fans can take any tiny shred of implied stories and turn them into enough materials to fill several novels. The author only needs to set up two cases and tell/imply that they are connected, and fans will spin wonderful tales connecting them on their own. Case in point. Rothfuss has written enough material to keep fans occupied for decades, trying to connect Kvothe and Kote, not to mention what happens after the tale is told, and he can perfectly well retire without writing a single more page of the series. If so, it might be that it was the plan all along.

Lol at these excuses. Dude sold his stories to the publisher as a trilogy. If he knew "all long" that there was never a third book and never intended to write one, that would be fraud.

We all know the reality. Writing is hard, and he isn't going to do it now that he's financially set and can play video games all day.

Archived