Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

I think he's got some sort of Meereenese Knot situation, and is struggling badly to make progress. So he has games and cons and his kid and side projects that are slowing (or totally replacing) his writing. I don't fault him, but I don't really give a shit about him any more because of it, either. If the book finally comes out, I'll shrug and check it out at the library at some point, whereas five years ago it would have been one of my most exciting purchases of the year.

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I think he's got some sort of Meereenese Knot situation, and is struggling badly to make progress. So he has games and cons and his kid and side projects that are slowing (or totally replacing) his writing. I don't fault him, but I don't really give a shit about him any more because of it, either. If the book finally comes out, I'll shrug and check it out at the library at some point, whereas five years ago it would have been one of my most exciting purchases of the year.

I share your sentiments, though I don't think he's anywhere near anything resembling Meereenes Knot. That would be giving him too much credit, in my opinion. His behavior just does not give an impression of someone trying to complete his work but struggling. Also, he has no multiple POV characters converging on a single location at a single time, needing to give readers a complete view of a very complex situation from different angles. With all that in mind, I'd say that Rothfuss knowing the story but not knowing how to overcome some storyline obstacles along the way is a lot less likely than either Rothfuss not being able to finish the book because he doesn't know where to go with the story or Rothfuss just not giving a damn about finishing his trilogy.

49 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh, I don't know if I buy that. DAW and Tor have released some absolutely monstrously sized books before.

But from the interviews I have seen, Rothfuss seems pretty adamant that he wants it to finish with book 3.

At least over here, his books were published in separate parts. I have four books of the Kingkiller Chronicle in my bookshelf, each the size of many other novels, but they're still just the first and second book. Splitting TDoS is pretty much a given already, and the publisher would probably jump with joy at the prospect of splitting it in three rather than two - after all, each part is priced like a complete book in itself.

Archived