Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

It's good for PR to say she's a fan. It's no more or no less than anyone else involved with the publication and production of the book would say.

It's like an actor or director going through a press junket for a movie. They're going to laud praises on it, even if it's crap.

And as Gabrielle and others have said above, authors want a "fan" editing them. Not fans that exist on message boards, but professional editors who are truly engaged in the work and want to help improve it.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, Werthead said:

You can see growing author power with ASoIaF: Anne Groell told George to take out half of the "Words are wind" in ADWD and he pointblank refused. Even less popular authors can have that power: Steven Erikson avoided almost all of his editorial advice because Bantam had spent so much money on the series that they needed to publish the books regardless, which gave him immense power far beyond his initially very modest sales.

Ultimately, however, editors are more like consultants then directors or even producers. Once a publisher has bought a novel, they have to publish it or be in breach of contract. Editors refusing to publish a book is a legal minefield, even if the quality is inarguably poor. Random House tried to do this with a Joan Collins novel they regarded as too shit to be publishable and she absolutely took them to the cleaners in court, even saying that she agreed the book wasn't very good but that was irrelevant to the contract (!).

Thanks - this is interesting insight for someone like me, who knows nothing about the book publishing world.  Can you remind what the "Words are wind" part of ADWD is, though?

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, Werthead said:

Yes. That was bollocks. When even the mild-mannered Sanderson was going, "Er, this wasn't what I thought it was going to be," they really needed to stop and rethink.

When you talk about the compendium...is it this - https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Time-Companion-History-Bestselling/dp/0765314614 ?

I read all of WoT, but I don't even think I was aware of this...I take it that it's not very good....

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

The phrase "words are wind" appears 13 times in the book. People make fun of George for overusing it. 

(Like they made fun of Jordan for the braid tugging in WOT)

Ah ok...I haven't read it since it came out.  The one that I remember was the term "nuncle" for uncle.  I don't think it was in the first 3 books at all, and then in AFFC, everyone seemed to be spouting off about their "nuncle".

4 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I can't tell if these comments make me want to click on that link more or less...

Plot summary: Tom Bombadil disappears off and does Tom Bombadil stuff, while Goldberry seduces Devi into lesbian sex. Concluded with the thoroughly classy line "Predicted Winner: All of us, really."

2 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Plot summary: Tom Bombadil disappears off and does Tom Bombadil stuff, while Goldberry seduces Devi into lesbian sex. Concluded with the thoroughly classy line "Predicted Winner: All of us, really."

Yeah.  That was horrid.  No way I can think to defend that one.  The prose was turgid and the story didn't really bring either world to life.  It was really bad fan/slash fiction.

Archived