Ranking Tarantino

Theda Baratheon

Exactly what the title says. Let's rank Tarantino movies. I haven't watched Death Proof or Jackie Brown but I plan on watching those soon and will amend this OP then. 

So; you can choose to rank your favourites, or the ones you think are objectively his best. 

I'm going to go ahead and rank my favourites. 

1) Inglourious Basterds 
2) Kill Bills
3) Pulp Fiction 
4) Hateful Eight
5) Reservoir Dogs
6) Django Unchained 

Bear in mind, I have only watched Django Unchained once, so it's at the bottom of my list, but it's also, by far, my least watched one, so maybe if I rewatched it a few times on par with the others it might rank quite a bit higher, same with Reservoir Dogs which i've only seen twice. 

But this is my list, i'll explain and discuss more when others post. 

I did search for a similar topic but couldn't find one and I think there's so much to say about Tarantino's movies they deserve their own thread. 

1) Pulp Fiction
2) Inglourious Basterds
3)Kill Bill vol. 1
4) Django Unchained
5) Kill Bill vol. 2
6) Reservoir Dogs
7) Death Proof
8) Hateful 8

Haven't seen Jackie Brown. Haven't seen Reservoir Dogs for a long time, I might enjoy it more now, but at the time I thought that while the premise of a heist film without the heist was clever it didn't quite execute it as a whole, despite having several all-time great scenes and lines.

Hateful 8 was so disappointing, all of Tarantino's worst excesses with very few of the good things. A scenario like that I'd have thought would be set up for Tarantino but he did very little clever with it, went for nasty instead.

I could probably switch Kill Bill vol.2 and Django around, they're very close.

I haven't seen Jackie Brown in like 15 years so I barely remember it and won't include it. I'm definitely due for a rewatch. 

1. Inglourious Basterds

2. Pulp Fiction

3. Reservoir Dogs

4. Django Unchained

5. Kill Bills

6. The Hateful Eight

7. Death Proof

Just now, polishgenius said:

1) Pulp Fiction
2) Inglourious Basterds
3)Kill Bill vol. 1
4) Django Unchained
5) Kill Bill vol. 2
6) Reservoir Dogs
7) Death Proof
8) Hateful 8

Haven't seen Jackie Brown. Haven't seen Reservoir Dogs for a long time, I might enjoy it more now, but at the time I thought that while the premise of a heist film without the heist was clever it didn't quite execute it as a whole, despite having several all-time great scenes and lines.

Hateful 8 was so disappointing, all of Tarantino's worst excesses with very few of the good things. A scenario like that I'd have thought would be set up for Tarantino but he did very little clever with it, went for nasty instead.

I could probably switch Kill Bill vol.2 and Django around, they're very close.

I LOVED Hateful Eight  - I really did! Thought it genuinely had a lot to say, loved the nods to American history or rather Tarantino's own alternative history but it was clever to have the room divided north and south, and the HUGE importance and significance of the lincoln letter, and then the ending with two unlikely people uniting as allies. And all the characters aren't what they seem and Chris Mannix starts as totally unlikeable and then becomes your fave in the whole film. The score is obviously great, it's Morricone and I just loved it. Loved the way it looked, thought the acting was fantastic, cast was spectacular, and just really , really enjoyed it. 

Glad to see Inglourious so high on your list though! It's on the bottom of many people's lists and i'm just like...YA KIDDING ME ?!?!

You both should check out Jackie Brown. It's really good and I think it's still free on Netflix. Death proof on the other hand......don't waste your time!

1) Pulp Fiction
2) Django Unchained
3)Kill Bill vol. 1
4) Inglourious Basterds
5) Reservoir Dogs
6) The Hateful Eight
7) Jackie Brown
8) Kill Bill vol. 2
9) Death Proof

One caveat. I have never seen The Whole Bloody Affair, and from what I've read most of the problems with vol. 2 are not an issue, so I suspect I might put that one as number 2.

4 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Glad to see Inglourious so high on your list though! It's on the bottom of many people's lists and i'm just like...YA KIDDING ME ?!?!

Inglourious is flawed- iirc it was Tarantino's first film actually told in mostly chronological order and I don't think he'd quite worked out the art of pacing yet- but the strengths more than make up for that. The opening scene is one of the best dialogue scenes ever written. I would say 'and Tarantino's best' but, of course, he also wrote True Romance.

Plus it has an awesome unconventional tooling-up scene to the tune of David Bowie.

I have studiously avoided Death Proof and although I think I have seen bits and pieces of Jackie Brown over the years, I'm not sure I have ever seen it in its entirety. That's why neither will be included in my list. Since I'm a sucker for (Spaghetti/Revisionist) Westerns, it's probably no surprise my top looks like this:

1) The Hateful Eight
2) Kill Bill Volume 2
3) Kill Bill Volume 1
4) Reservoir Dogs
5) Inglorious Basterds
6) Pulp Fiction 
7) Django Unchained 

Obviously, Django is an exception. Never understood the amount of love that one got. 

1 minute ago, Veltigar said:

Obviously, Django is an exception. Never understood the amount of love that one got. 

In comparison to The Hateful Eight, Django is a masterpiece. I am sorry, but, with the exception of the music and perhaps, JJL performance, it was a bust for me. 

Seems Hateful 8 is the really contentious one here.

15 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I LOVED Hateful Eight  - I really did! Thought it genuinely had a lot to say, loved the nods to American history or rather Tarantino's own alternative history but it was clever to have the room divided north and south, and the HUGE importance and significance of the lincoln letter, and then the ending with two unlikely people uniting as allies. And all the characters aren't what they seem and Chris Mannix starts as totally unlikeable and then becomes your fave in the whole film. The score is obviously great, it's Morricone and I just loved it. Loved the way it looked, thought the acting was fantastic, cast was spectacular, and just really , really enjoyed it.

I really really liked the setup but I was hoping for a lot more of Tarantino's trademark tension-tipping conversations and really there was surprisingly little of that for my money, replaced instead by what felt by nastiness for nastiness' sake, the first time I've felt that way about a Tarantino (except maybe Death Proof).
Mannix' character development was probably the only thing about the film I really liked.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I have studiously avoided Death Proof and although I think I have seen bits and pieces of Jackie Brown over the years, I'm not sure I have ever seen it in its entirety. That's why neither will be included in my list. Since I'm a sucker for (Spaghetti/Revisionist) Westerns, it's probably no surprise my top looks like this:

1) The Hateful Eight
2) Kill Bill Volume 2
3) Kill Bill Volume 1
4) Reservoir Dogs
5) Inglorious Basterds
6) Pulp Fiction 
7) Django Unchained 

So happy to see Hateful Eight at the top of your list !!! I watched it two or three times in Cinema, can't remember now. but safe to say, Kill Bills and Pulp Fiction are strongly rooted in growing up and rewatching them tons of times and Inglourious is his best in my opinion, but I really do love Hateful Eight a lot. What are some of your reasons for putting it at the top? :D 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Inglourious is flawed- iirc it was Tarantino's first film actually told in mostly chronological order and I don't think he'd quite worked out the art of pacing yet- but the strengths more than make up for that. The opening scene is one of the best dialogue scenes ever written. I would say 'and Tarantino's best' but, of course, he also wrote True Romance.

Plus it has an awesome unconventional tooling-up scene to the tune of David Bowie.

Yeah the Cat People makeup scene is fucking AWESOME...

Kill Bills will always rank highly on my list because they are so much fun to rewatch, just Tarantino having such fun making these movies and also this scene might be one of the best in any film ever? Totally underrated...

Bill's Death

The range of emotions in this scene is just fantastic and Uma Thurman totally kills it. Sadness, rage, regret, relief, love. 

And the Ennio Morricone song...gorgeous...so perfect in this scene...gets me every time, EVERY TIME. 

''You and I have unfinished business...''

''Baby...you ain't kiddin'' 

and 

''Because i'm a...bad person''

''No..you're not a bad person. you're a terrific person. you're my favourite person. But every once in awhile...you can be a real cunt''

Just a moment so fucking FILLED with emotion and so much to unpack, it's just fantastic. 

I have a lot of love for Hateful 8. A big part of that is probably because it was so spectacular on the big screen with the intermission and everything. Plus it was a beautiful cinema (Leicester Square) anyway which only made things better. But I did think, like Theda, it had a lot to say and the unfolding of the story was very well done IMO. I'm not into rewatching films too often so not sure how accurately I can rank it outside of the cinematic experience. My ranking of the Tarantino I have seen:

1) Hateful Eight (see above)

2) Pulp Fiction

3) Inglorious Basterds 

4) Resevoir Dogs

5) Kill Bill (DNF because I got sidetracked last time I was watching it)

Jackie Brown

Inglorious Basterds

Hateful Eight

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Kill Bill (1&2)

Django

havent seen death proof, rate True Romance very highly. 

28 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I have a lot of love for Hateful 8. A big part of that is probably because it was so spectacular on the big screen with the intermission and everything. 

By far my favorite movie experience, shit was awesome and I genuinely loved the movie. 

Archived