Netflix's December Drama - The OA

Theda Baratheon

9 minutes ago, Mikael said:

As long as you have the will..

One thing though, even if OA had been taught to read letters during her captivity or absence, didn't those books look mint? 

The first thing I noticed was that the spines were not cracked. They were never opened. The FBI agent definitely has something going on. 

I love that this show was made. This is not a show for everypne, it's never going to reach a mass audience and retain a huge can base but it's totally going to move a relatively small amount of people enough to justify it's existence and that's fucking awesome. That's making a good story for the sake of it and yes it has flaws but fuck...the feeligs it leaves the few people who REALLY it was made for is totally worth it 

It's not making TV to reach a mass audience and make tons of money - it's making a story for wanting to and thats so cool 

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I love that this show was made. This is not a show for everypne, it's never going to reach a mass audience and retain a huge can base but it's totally going to move a relatively small amount of people enough to justify it's existence and that's fucking awesome. That's making a good story for the sake of it and yes it has flaws but fuck...the feeligs it leaves the few people who REALLY it was made for is totally worth it 

It's not making TV to reach a mass audience and make tons of money - it's making a story for wanting to and thats so cool 

Theda, I find the show, as you do, very moving. It just resonates with me. The characters all have such deep hurts, and knowing that makes ours so much easier to bear. I want this show to come back for a second season. 

As for OA not being born blind, she was not born in an English-speaking country either. 

We just finished watching the final episode and well, it just didn't have the emotional impact for us as it seems to have had for others. I'm left with a lot of WTF did I just watch - some of it was compelling and interesting (particularly the beauty of a well-crafted story) but a lot of it just uh, didn't work for me. The dance aspects turned me off immensely. It just seemed silly. To each their own. :dunno:

I will say as far as magic goes, I too liked the hand movements and gestures in The Magicians. 

Hmm. Not sure about that. I ended my own relationship with David Lynch by turning off Lost Highway without finishing it because I just got tired of all of his stuff feeling the same to me. And I never really cared about anyone in a David Lynch film as they never felt real to me. They always felt like fake, made up OTT characters with no authenticity.

I really liked it. The first episode was actually better than I expected. I read some on this board thought it was a step down from other eps.

Spoiler

There was about ten minutes that I was beginning to worry about this show, when OA was refusing to talk about what happened. But the opening was fantastic. And once Steve entered the story, the whole thing really took off. The OA, Steve, and Hap were all awesome characters. Hap was a very believable villain. The way he seemed to want to be the prisoner's friend at times especially was both pathetic yet believable. I hope if there is a second season, we see some more weird and ethically challenged scientists. Loved the empty hospital wing side track.

I actually think it was the finale that had the biggest problems. The shooting scene didn't quite work, although I liked the cracked window and OA getting shot visual. It was good though that they confirmed their powers are real at least after the book thing. It seemed like the writers were just tossing out a ton of red herrings all at once, such as the rings of Saturn thing and the book thing. It's still interesting, but I feel the finale was the weakest episode. And the reason, other than all the red herrings, is there is no real closure. Hap isn't dealt with and the others are still prisoners.

It seems like this show took a lot of chances and not all of them paid off. But I like it. It's pretty imaginative. The story became too repetitive at times with all the movement practices and prison, but for the most part they did a good job of keeping the story varied and in motion. I'd definitely watch another season. 

Some of the characters weren't sketched in enough, but perhaps that's going to be a focus in a later season. This show had at least 3 fantastic characters, however, which is more than many shows. 

This kind of reminded me of Chronicle, parts of the second season of The Leftovers, Flatliners, and of course Stranger Things. It seemed more refined and elegant than Stranger Things though, but it had some similarities.

I actually didn't have a problem with the finale and didn't think it was in poor taste. - Especially as we see characters like Steve who were violent and confused and angry and could so easily have been the character at the end whose face wasn't even shown, but because he found this Breakfast Club type group of people and the OA who held him even when he violently attacked her we see what he could have been but wasn't, I thought that was quite poignant because he's a character I was all set to just not like but I really did end up caring about him. 

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I actually didn't have a problem with the finale and didn't think it was in poor taste. - Especially as we see characters like Steve who were violent and confused and angry and could so easily have been the character at the end whose face wasn't even shown, but because he found this Breakfast Club type group of people and the OA who held him even when he violently attacked her we see what he could have been but wasn't, I thought that was quite poignant because he's a character I was all set to just not like but I really did end up caring about him. 

Steve is not a character I liked much at the beginning but he was one I could understand.  Like him, I had a lot of repressed anger as a teenager also.  Shyness, a terrible stutter left me isolated and feeling alone.  I too did not know how to behave to those that reached out to me. I did learn and I am not that person anymore, but I do understand.  

After eight episodes, I still have no idea what Opie and Anthony have to do with any of this....

I'm sorry.... that last "dance" scene my wife and I were howling in laughter....  how the actors kept a straight face is beyond me ... Holy cow I thought this was as dumb an ending as I've ever seen

I really like the movements lol. Honestly send is connected to magic in a lot of religions and I think it makes sense. It looks cool to me and makes sense in the story. I like dancing a lot though,

I think the dances worked because of the feral nature of it. However, it was just on the border of being silly and it won't work for everyone. Overall I think it was brave of them and also there aren't a lot of ways to make casting magic spell look cool and new. Gestures are definitely a big part of spellcasting in various tabletop roleplaying games like D&D and and Shadowrun, so it's not completely out of left field. But to some it may look silly. But what would you have done in the place of the writers? Had them point wands or say hocus pocus?

I hope they explore the alternate worlds concept and that it wasn't just a red herring. I was pretty interested that Mr. Robot made an alternate worlds reference because it's clearly an alternate reality to ours, yet very close to it. Stephen King messes around with this stuff a lot and it's awesome.

I think the movements made sense, actually.  They can't be a new thing, so they must be very old.  So instantly I thought of Australian aborigines and other old tribal communities might have known these movements for thousands of years and kept the secret.  I don't have a woo bone in my body, but I can use my imagination for the duration of a piece of fiction.

Archived