Westeros

HBO Execs Considering Game of Thrones “Brand Extension”

30 posts in this topic

I'm feeling Aegon's conquest, Maegor the Cruel, or the Dance of the Dragons. 

I think the dragons could be more accessible because there wouldn't be a need for certain other things, like White walker armies mainly. They could divert resources. 

I think starting with the Conquest could work well. I don't think the CGI would have to be too crazy, as you'd only need to heavily feature the dragons in a few key scenes; Field of Fire, HH, the Eyrie, for example. 2-3 seasons of the Conquest and Aegon + Visenya + Rhaenys ruling. Then you could have Aegon die, and watch Maegor + old Visenya war with the Faith. Blackfyre, Dark Sister. I'd love to see it.

The biggest issue I see with this type of series is that it would be extremely Targaryen centric. It would essentially be Game of Thrones: Fire and Blood. As we are all aware, one of the most appealing aspects of this series is that you have your choice of protagonists. Think the Targs are inbred, entitled assholes—fine. House Stark to the rescue! Unless you're bored by those beleaguered orphans. In that case, House Lannister has your back. Unless you, like show!Renly, think they're the most pompous, ponderous cunts the gods ever... something, something. Think all three of those houses are a bunch of pussies, Ours is the Fury! And if none of them are rapey enough for you, there's always the Greyjoys.

I think if they could swing the budget, the Dance would work the best, as it includes other houses in a more substantial way. Maybe they need to wait a few years for the technology to help lower the cost of the CGI. Then we can watch the Targaryens fight fire with fire.

Would also love some D&E though. Aerion Brightflame, yo. :)

Why not do the blackfyre rebellions? The first rebellion would make for a great couple of seasons. Although it wouldn't be as long as ASOIAF but maybe they could then transition to the later rebellions. That being said they would probably rename Daenerys to something else since show watchers would get confused.

Why not go way back - the coming of the Andals to Westeros, or even to the age of heroes, Bran the Builder etc.? These are legend or even myth at the time of the War of the Five Kings, so why not find out what really happened?

My suggestion is probably not happening, it breaks too many television guidelines. But how about a BBC-style documentary series, with each episode focusing on a different historical event from World of Ice and Fire? Several episodes on the Valyrian Freehold's conquest of Old Ghis, one or more episodes on the migration of the Rhoynish refugees, perhaps an episode on Bran the Builder, and so on. There must be enough inspiration in the written material for many seasons of episodes.

I would love to see Gwendoline Christie play Too-Tall Tansy. But then I'd want Rory McCann to play Dunk...

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Pocketsaviour said:

But then I'd want Rory McCann to play Dunk...

Not nearly hot enough. Not nearly. And way too old. Plus if they did that they'd probably make Duncan more like the Hound, which would be a crime beyond imagination.

Besides I'm not the biggest fan of recycling actors.

I mean while where at it why not cast Kathy Bates as Rohanne Webbers?

Edited by Orphalesion

Reported that GRRM has stated that the GoT related thing he's working on with HBO is NOT either a Dunk/Egg or 9PK series, sooooo...I wonder what it'll be?  Aegon's original conquest maybe, or perhaps Bob's Bellion now?  Original Dance?

It's the most boring option, but a Robert's Rebellion makes the most sense for this sort of a project. It is a well layered story in and of itself. AND it features enough ties to the original series to give it a hook for most of the current audience. A series where a young Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon team up to defeat the Mad King. Where Lyanna is kidnapped. Where Jamie becomes a KG. Where Tywin takes over his father's seat and watches his relationship with Aerys detoriate. Where Cat has her bethrothed taken from her and is forced to settle for Ned. Where Rheagar accidentally starts a war that will destroy his house.

You could very easily get a few seasons out of that. 

They'll be looking for a lot more than a few seasons IMO.

Also, the negatives to the Rebellion is having to get all new cast just after the current series end, replacing known and adored characters with mostly new people (due to age, example, look how much NCW playing Jaime has aged since 2010 when they filmed the first episodes/reshoots).  There is also little room for "magic", and no dragons, a creature/concept sort of vital to the TV end of GOT, again, just IMO.

That's why I'd guess it will be either the conquest, or perhaps the Dance. 

I do agree though that the rebellion would provide some great potential, telling that story on screen would be something I'd love to see.  Again though, I think they would reject it just based on having to change out so many known, and most importantly recently known, actors for almost all of the characters.  The show got away with it with Ned and some others being recast younger in the flashbacks, due to it being closer to a decade than not since he was seen on screen in that role.  It wouldn't work with others like Jaime, Cercei, Tyrion (obviously), Baelish, etc...