U.S. Politics 2016 Seasonal Hiring Edition: "You're fired"

Sivin

19 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

And then refused to pay them due to shoddy workmanship?

No, he broke the toliet, the water heater and flooded the kitchen.  Then tweeted a about what a great job he did for such a loser. 

I'm aware of Saudi Arabia's bad record on human rights. It doesn't make Russia particularly 'better' in this regard. I stated my opinion as to why - Russia is a significantly bigger country that has been worse, has more people in jail per capita and overall, has a history of killing dissidents in country, is strongly against gay people to the point of making them illegal and has massive human rights violations overseas in Syria and the Ukraine - in the last two years. Yeah, I wouldn't want to live in Saudi Arabia either, but Russia can do (and has done) a lot more damage. 

My saying Russia is worse is in no way saying Saudi Arabia is good. Both can suck. 

ETA: here's a good video talking about how, precisely, Saudi Arabia sucks really bad, and how the US is potentially complicit in war crimes.

20 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

There is something about a religious theocracy that is just a little bit scarier than your run of the mill dictatorship to me. Given the choice, I'd live in Russia as well.

And that's fair, but 'where I want to live' is not the measurement of human rights violations. It also depends a lot on who you are. If you're a white guy - Saudi Arabia is pretty awesome as a tourist. As an example. 

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

And that's fair, but 'where I want to live' is not the measurement of human rights violations. It also depends a lot on who you are. If you're a white guy - Saudi Arabia is pretty awesome as a tourist. As an example. 

Sure, if you were willing to put aside what it might be like for your mother, sister, wife and daughter to have to exist in such a society.

I don't know, this is all pretty assumptive on my part, but as an atheist I would have trouble imagining a more oppressive, maddening scenario than living in a religious theocracy. 

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

As long as you're not white Christian guy. Or white Jewish guy. Or white Shia guy. Or white anything-not-proscribed-religion-guy. Or a white woman. Or a pink woman. Or an indigo lesbian. If you think Pussy Riot had it bad, how about beheading the lot of them and be done with it? 

I know the power of propaganda can be overwhelming, but in what universe are Russians worse than Saudis? Those guys and their regime are literally prime exporters and chief ideologues of the most explosive and hideous cult on the face of the Earth. Their particular branch of Islam, thanks to the power of petrodollar and Western support, is infecting the whole Middle East like a goddamn bubonic plague.

15 minutes ago, Mr Fixit said:

As long as you're not white Christian guy. Or white Jewish guy. Or white Shia guy. Or white anything-not-proscribed-religion-guy. Or a white woman. Or a pink woman. Or an indigo lesbian. If you think Pussy Riot had it bad, how about beheading the lot of them and be done with it? 

I know the power of propaganda can be overwhelming, but in what universe are Russians worse than Saudis? Those guys and their regime are literally prime exporters and chief ideologues of the most explosive and hideous cult on the face of the Earth. Their particular branch of Islam, thanks to the power of petrodollar and Western support, is infecting the whole Middle East like a goddamn bubonic plague.

Yeah if your a white Muslim man then Saudi Arabia would be a great place. Well actually you would also have to be pretty rich as well for it to be a great place to visit. I mean for real I agree with you that was such a genius thing to say. In fact I applaud the man who said that *clap* *clap*.

9 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Russian hacking, fake news, electoral college

Still in the denial phase of Kubler-Ross, 6 weeks later

Denial where? Those are all legitimate issues to discuss. It's not like it's been 3 years. New information has just been confirmed a few days ago.

15 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Russian hacking, fake news, electoral college

Still in the denial phase of Kubler-Ross, 6 weeks later

I'm sorry to hear it, and hope you can move on soon.

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Denial where? Those are all legitimate issues to discuss. It's not like it's been 3 years. New information has just been confirmed a few days ago.

no empirical evidence that the first two affected the election outcome, and the latter isn't going anywhere

Just now, Commodore said:

no empirical evidence that the first two affected the election outcome, and the latter isn't going anywhere

I'm sure being a Mises fan you can understand that we deduced this all from a priori reasoning.

Anyway what of it? Was somebody looking to be this week's winner of the Captain Obvious Award?

It's not like Russian Hacking allegations are not important. And it's not like conservatives falling for fake news all the time isn't important to discuss.

Just now, Commodore said:

excuses like Russian hacking and fake news, trying to abolish the electoral college

crank up the identity politics and racism/sexism/homophobia charges to eleven

this is the left's path back to power?

No. It's sound more like you making shit up.

Archived