Did Euron abuse Theon (spoilers for TWOW)

INCBlackbird

So with the theory of Euron abusing Aeron (be it sexual or not, I'm guessing it was) being confirmed by the new Aeron chapter, the forsaken. I have a different question. I wonder if Euron also abused Theon when he was a child. And no this question doesn't come out of nowhere, there is not much to support it but there is something: The only two people who know what is between Euron's eyepatch that we know off are Aeron and Theon. Both of them are absolutely terrified of him and show signs of having ptsd related to Euron.

Aeron: The creaking of the door, as we all know.

Theon: " Under it he wore a stained white leather eye patch that reminded Theon of his uncle Euron. He'd wanted to rip it off Umber's face, to make certain that underneath was only an empty socket, not a black eye shining with malice." - Theon I (twow)

add to that the fact (that many others have pointed out) that Theon and Aeron have a whole lot of parallels going on I think it would make sense... what do you all think?

I think the parallel is how Euron molested Aeron compared to how Ramsay molested Theon. 

There is a very good chance Theon becomes a religious figure, or turns to the gods like he never had, and that is his future. 

That and maybe to support Asha in her progressive quest. 

Maybe. But I think him molesting his brothers is enough in terms of the narrative, him molesting everyone on Pyke would be ridiculous. And I'd have to ask if Balon doesn't look after his kids at all. 

I like to think that Theon means Euron's general creepiness, unrelated to any particular action. That would also explain why he covers his eye with an eyepatch, people are just too freaked out by the sight of his black eye. And if you're a kid, I imagine these sorts of things can scare you much more easily, without abuse being involved. 

49 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I think the parallel is how Euron molested Aeron compared to how Ramsay molested Theon.

Deffo. Whatever kind of sexual abuse it was that Ramsay did to Theon, it left a huge psychological impact. He can't even bring himself to think about it. Yet as a ward at Winterfell, he seems like a pretty happy chappy, all things considered.

So if Euron did molest him, he's likely pushed it right out of his mind. Perhaps Ramsay brought back some terrible memories?

13 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

There is a very good chance Theon becomes a religious figure, or turns to the gods like he never had, and that is his future. 

That and maybe to support Asha in her progressive quest. 

that could definitly be a parallel yes, though I think there might be more too it! It seems to me that that eyepatch was a sort of trigger for Theon, the way he responds is kinda... extreme. It wouldn't surprise me if Euron plays a part in Theon's twow arc, and perhaps unconcovering past abuse is a part of that. Of course I could be completely wrong and read into things that aren't there....

• 3 weeks later...

Oh Gosh, now he was abused as a kid too. I hope not.

I agree that seems like an extreme reaction. I also agree that a kid could work up a strong fearful aversion against a creepy madman like Euron without being personally harmed. Hm.

Do we have reason to believe others in the family don't know what's behind the eyepatch?

I definitely think Euron will be much of Theon's future arc, specifically I think he will kill him. That Theon will kill Euron, not the other way round! Maybe an abuse revelation could work into that, Theon fully freeing himself from victimhood. But really, we already read a lot about Theon abuse.

If Theon had been abused by Euron as a child then his arc would be like a westerosi version of a novel I recently read about another adult, who had been terribly abused as a child.

The abuse that Aeron suffered had long been a theory, which was only confirmed by the wow chapter.

I had never thought of the parallels between Aeron and Theon but somehow I feel that Theon is different from his uncle. Aeron was in a way reborn as a better person, Theon was reborn as Reek. 

The way I see it, Euron is presented in the text, even before he appears, as a very ominous, unpredictable yet extremely competent and utterly dangerous character.

In COK Theon seems to think of him in this way:

His father was old now, and so too his uncle Victarion, who commanded the Iron Fleet. His uncle Euron was a different song, to be sure, but the Silence did not seem to be in port. It

When Theon aspired to lead the Ironborn to glory, he thought that Balon and Vic would easily follow, but Euron would be difficult to deal with him. Nevertheless he was absent when Theon returned home, which was a relief. Theon seems to regard Euron as a political threat, not as someone who would torment him.

Then Asha/Esgred wants to find out how Theon shall deal with his mercurial uncle.

"During my lord father's rebellion, he sailed into Lannisport with my uncle Euron and burned the Lannister fleet where it lay at anchor," Theon recalled. "The plan was Euron's, though. Victarion is like some great grey bullock, strong and tireless and dutiful, but not like to win any races. No doubt, he'll serve me as loyally as he has served my lord father. He has neither the wits nor the ambition to plot betrayal."

"Euron Croweye has no lack of cunning, though. I've heard men say terrible things of that one."

Theon shifted his seat. "My uncle Euron has not been seen in the islands for close on two years. He may be dead." If so, it might be for the best. Lord Balon's eldest brother had never given up the Old Way, even for a day. His Silence, with its black sails and dark red hull, was infamous in every port from Ibben to Asshai, it was said.

Once again Victarion is thought to be strong yet dutiful, whereas Euron is notorious but clever.

In COK Theon never thinks of him again, and while it is hinted that he dislikes Euron, there is no evidence of his stance being the result of a previous abuse.

In SOS the only reference is when the Northmen discuss the Ironborn

Euron Greyjoy is no man's notion of a king, if half of what Theon said of him was true. 

It seems that Theon, who was always trying to impress Robb and who was tremendously proud of the Ironborn legacy, does not support Euron's antics.

In DWD he only mentions Euron once, when he is trying to convince the Ironborn to leave Moat Cailin.

It is possible that since ASOIAF focuses mainly on family relations and politics that GRRM wants to show how different family members might love or hate the same person, for different reasons.

Think of Jaime Lannister, his father, sister and brother love him for different reasons. Tywin considers Jaime to be his golden boy, Cersei loves him because he is the perfect lover an extention of herself and Tyrion adores him, grateful because Jaime also loves him.

Or Aerion Targaryen, who was disliked by his siblings but from what we now so far, tormented only Aegon.

It is possible that the case with Euron and the Greyjoys is similar, they all hate him, but for different reasons:

• Aeron hates him because he abused him and Urrigon when they were children
  • Victarion hates him because he seduced his wife
  • Balon had to banish him from the reason mentioned above
  • Both Asha and Theon despise him, because he is an obstacle between them and the throne

Archived