Doctor who Series 10; He has been away for a while but he is back! Contains spoilers.

Jon's Queen Consort

I'm still an episode behind but have enjoyed the season so far. I think the first episode was the only weak one for me.

I wonder what the odds are that Missy kills the Master when the two meet? Meaning Jon Simm then becomes Missy and Missy becomes the next incarnation (at this point I think it's safe to assume the Master has extra regenerations just so they keep the character). Would Missy v2 maybe be a "good" renegade timelord - maybe one with a slighty more ruthless hand than the Doctor?

The Time Lords gave the resurrected Master (after fishing him out of the Eye of Harmony after the 1996 TV movie) a new set of 12 regenerations so he could fight in the Time War. So that makes Derek Jacobi the first or second Master of this incarnation (presumably the Doctor and the Master would have worked together during the Time War, so the Doctor not recognising the Master in Utopia means he's one regeneration further along) with John Simm either the 2nd or 3rd and Michelle Gomez as the 3rd or 4th. Lots of Masters to go in this version, anyway.

I'm also wondering if some timey wimey craziness is going to go down and the Doctor ends up in the Master's body or something and Michelle Gomez is the next Doctor? That'd be an interesting move, since she's a downright fantastic actress, already popular with the fans and that would allow them to experiment with a female Doctor whilst having a get out clause if they decide it doesn't work as well as they'd hope.

On 21/06/2017 at 9:42 PM, Werthead said:

The Time Lords gave the resurrected Master (after fishing him out of the Eye of Harmony after the 1996 TV movie) a new set of 12 regenerations so he could fight in the Time War. So that makes Derek Jacobi the first or second Master of this incarnation (presumably the Doctor and the Master would have worked together during the Time War, so the Doctor not recognising the Master in Utopia means he's one regeneration further along) with John Simm either the 2nd or 3rd and Michelle Gomez as the 3rd or 4th. Lots of Masters to go in this version, anyway.

I'm also wondering if some timey wimey craziness is going to go down and the Doctor ends up in the Master's body or something and Michelle Gomez is the next Doctor? That'd be an interesting move, since she's a downright fantastic actress, already popular with the fans and that would allow them to experiment with a female Doctor whilst having a get out clause if they decide it doesn't work as well as they'd hope.

Some trickery in the sense Missy is actually a deranged Doctor due to some timey wimey "three timelords regenerating in close proximity" thing? If unpopular they can always claim Missy is some weird hybrid created by timey wimey.

I'd be very surprised if something big doesn't happen with two Masters in an episode.

It would be fun misdirection by Michelle Gomez saying she's finished with playing Missy at the end of this series.

That was good.

The makeup didn't particularly work at disguising John Simm though.

Also, trailer for next week showed both types of Cybermen. Intriguing. Are they fighting each other?

7 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

That was good.

Hide contents

The makeup didn't particularly work at disguising John Simm though.

Also, trailer for next week showed both types of Cybermen. Intriguing. Are they fighting each other?

I agree it was good, although I'm a bit worried that the second part might not live up to the first part, there's always the potential for something to go wrong when Doctor Who tries to resolve a plot.

Missy was great fun, particularly the joke (or is it?) about his name really being 'Doctor Who'. Also nice to see some actual science in Doctor Who in terms of the time dilation in the vicinity of the black hole.

So when the Master became Razor? I am confused.

After the End of Time? It would be funny if he did because that would mean that Moffat’s final story and RTD’s final story were somehow connected and the same Master was in both. Maybe Missy saves the Doctor like what the Master did?

It was a pretty good episode. Could be a good prequel to Hartnell's last episode (The tenth Planet). Anyway, as I said, good episode, but since it's a two parter written by Moffat, I know there will be plot holes and loose ends, that won't be solved for ages, and when the solution comes, it will be a huge let down.

From now onwards with the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

Who is Missy?

The next regeneration of the Master? I thought previous regenerations can't remember their interactions with their future selves? That was established in pretty much any special involvging two or more regenerations of the Doctor (last time in The Day of the Doctor)? Missy can be a former version of the Master, but that wouldn't make much sense with regards to her behaviour towards the Doctor, would it?

Is she the brainwashed version of the next Doctor? Now we get a different set of problems with the plot. I think it's a fairly safe assumptions, that the Doctor will thwart the Master's plan, yet the Master has been able to manipulate a future version of the Doctor. A bit too circular for my liking. Missy and Doctor arrive and defeat the Master -> the Master brainwashes Missy/Doctor in her future and his past -> Missy and Doctor arrive and defeat the Master.  That doesn't make too much sense either. So this will probably be Moffat's solution. *sigh*

So who else might Missy be? A different Timelord, who for some reason ran into the Master and got brainwashed by him, into believing she was him? A bit of a cop out, isn't it?

16 minutes ago, Notone said:

It was a pretty good episode. Could be a good prequel to Hartnell's last episode (The tenth Planet). Anyway, as I said, good episode, but since it's a two parter written by Moffat, I know there will be plot holes and loose ends, that won't be solved for ages, and when the solution comes, it will be a huge let down.

From now onwards with the spoiler tag.

Hide contents

Who is Missy?

The next regeneration of the Master? I thought previous regenerations can't remember their interactions with their future selves? That was established in pretty much any special involvging two or more regenerations of the Doctor (last time in The Day of the Doctor)? Missy can be a former version of the Master, but that wouldn't make much sense with regards to her behaviour towards the Doctor, would it?

Is she the brainwashed version of the next Doctor? Now we get a different set of problems with the plot. I think it's a fairly safe assumptions, that the Doctor will thwart the Master's plan, yet the Master has been able to manipulate a future version of the Doctor. A bit too circular for my liking. Missy and Doctor arrive and defeat the Master -> the Master brainwashes Missy/Doctor in her future and his past -> Missy and Doctor arrive and defeat the Master.  That doesn't make too much sense either. So this will probably be Moffat's solution. *sigh*

So who else might Missy be? A different Timelord, who for some reason ran into the Master and got brainwashed by him, into believing she was him? A bit of a cop out, isn't it?

She can't remember her interaction with her future self. Simms' master mentions it when he wonders why she doesn't remember being here before.
She's pretty definitely the Master. Wouldn't surprise me to see Simms regenerate into Missy at the end and begin the motions that end up with her first appearance with the Cybermen in London.

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Reveal hidden contents

She can't remember her interaction with her future self. Simms' master mentions it when he wonders why she doesn't remember being here before.
She's pretty definitely the Master. Wouldn't surprise me to see Simms regenerate into Missy at the end and begin the motions that end up with her first appearance with the Cybermen in London.

Yes, but that doesn't make sense.

Spoiler

If Simm regenerates into Missy, she is his future self. So she should remember their interaction, not the other way round. The same way Smith's Doctor is able to remember his interaction with Tennant and Hurt, not the other way round. (check his explanation to Hurt's Doctor, that the latter won't be able to remember saving Gallifrey).

You see my confusion.

38 minutes ago, Notone said:

Yes, but that doesn't make sense.

Hide contents

If Simm regenerates into Missy, she is his future self. So she should remember their interaction, not the other way round. The same way Smith's Doctor is able to remember his interaction with Tennant and Hurt, not the other way round. (check his explanation to Hurt's Doctor, that the latter won't be able to remember saving Gallifrey).

You see my confusion.

Neither of them remember it, the Master worked out that MIssy was his future self from watching her and the Doctor on the screen.

32 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Neither of them remember it, the Master worked out that MIssy was his future self from watching her and the Doctor on the screen.

Yep.

Really loved that episode. It felt as if my ten year old self had risen from the dead to watch it spellbound with the kind of rapt unjaundiced attention that is rarely experienced by adults. 

Only complaint is that the whole "the Mondasian cybermen!!!" bit was overdone - it seemed to be a moment of very Old Who fan-service, which would just comes across as extremely cheesy to other parts of the audience (i.e. me). 

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Ah, ok. That way it makes sense. Somehow I was left with the impression there was a previous encounter between Simm's Master and Missy.

I was a bit confused as to why the Master was cosplaying as Zathras from Babylon 5, but otherwise an absolutely outstanding episode, getting back to the body horror of the Cybermen. Definitely the best Cyberman story in the modern series, by far, and probably the best since the black and white days of the original Doctor Who.

Interesting if Bill really is dead or irreparably transformed, as that makes the Cybermen the deadliest of the Doctor's foes to him personally, having previously killed Adric and helped cause the First Doctor's regeneration (kind of).

Wasn't Saxon erased from history after Last of the Time Lords? If he was how could Bill recognize him?

Elements of the prior continuity were changed - people don't remember the Daleks or Cybermen invading, or Gallifrey appearing in the skies - but not everything. Saxon as Prime Minister was too big a change (as in long-lasting, he was PM for months or years) to be removed, and he's been mentioned a few times as former Prime Ministers, so Bill would presumably still recognise him.

I think Moffat has quietly dropped the RTD notion that Time Lords can automatically recognise one another, even though that was the whole reason for the Master hiding himself by transforming himself into Professor Yana. He didn't recognise Missy the first time he met her.

Lol Zathras was my first thought too on seeing him.

Saxon was PM for a day or so, it was events just after he killed the US president that never happened. Pretty sure Bill would remember his campaign and brief tenure as PM.  

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I was a bit confused as to why the Master was cosplaying as Zathras from Babylon 5

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Lol Zathras was my first thought too on seeing him.

He reminded me so much of Zathras that I stopped the episode to check whether it was the same actor, only to be reminded that he was actually one of the earliest victims of the B5 curse.

As a result of this I also completely forgot that Simm was supposed to be in the episode and only remembered when he confronted Missy in the end.

Otherwise it was probably my favourite episode of the season. After not being too enamored with a lot of the stories dunring his stint, Capaldi looks set to go out on a high note at least. Which is good, because I really like him as the Doctor.

8 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Smith doesnt remembet the interaction until he lives it as Smith.

but he should remember the interaction from John Hurt's Doctor and Tennant's Doctor POVs.

Archived