Doctor who Series 10; He has been away for a while but he is back! Contains spoilers.

Jon's Queen Consort

On 20/12/2016 at 8:28 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What the heck?  Masked superheros in Dr. Who?

I don't see the problem with that. If they can explain, it will be fine. 

On 21/12/2016 at 2:21 AM, All-for-Joffrey said:

Marvel must be stopped. 

And by Marvel I mean Moffatt. 

Come on! We have way worse stories, mosters, episodes and so on with Russell T. Davies.

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes, we did have the completely random "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship".  That one was awful.

Worse than Love and Monsters, Fear Her, Aliens of London, World War Three, Long Game, Boom Town, Evolution of the Daleks, Daleks in Manhattan, 42 or Gridlock?

Hum, let's see. Fear her was not written by Davies, so I only count the episode Davies and Moffat wrote themselves.

Davies: Aliens of London, Love and Monsters, and Gridlock those were the real stinkers Davies wrote himself. Long Game hasn't really well, since it was mostly pop culture references, featuring shows that most do no longer exist (weakest link), Midnight wasn't great, but not really horrible. Like some of Moffat's scripts.

Moffat: The Beast Below (the only real stinker), Let's kill Hitler (of put him in the cupboard),Listen, Hell Bent were not particularly great episodes, but not on the same level of horrible.

So really their out put of realy poor episodes written by them personally is not that much apart.

Head to head scores as show runner, will not be particularly favorable for Moffat. Bad storylines by other writers under the helm.

Davies: Fear her (Graham), and that's pretty much it.

Moffat: Curse of the Black Spot (Thompson), The Rebel Flash and the Almost People (Graham; I start to see a pattern here), Kill the Moon (Harness). While Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was not great, I would also not label it totally horrible. 

Moffat (at least imo) has gotten a lot of stick because some of the stories fell short of their potential (or at least it felt like that; Asylum of the Dalek comes to mind), and the conclusion of his seasonal story arcs often felt like a let down. The only exception possibly "The Big Bang". Well, and fpr the rewriting of villains like the Master/Missy.

I am not going after Moffat for the Christmas specials (Russel T. Davies Christmas Episodes were better). IMO it doesn't need to feel christmassy, and with Moffatt that theme feels a bit forced upon the viewer (ME!).

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I actually quite enjoyed that. I mean, it was silly as hell but it was meant to be. Just Moffatt dicking about with a superhero story.

Agreed. In the pre-credit sequence, I just kept thinking "Oh God, this is awful, it's really awful, Moffat can't go soon enough, he's clearly just writing the scripts in five minutes on the back of a napkin". But then I got into it. It wasn't a great episode, but it was entertaining, and playful, and kept the saccharine sad strings to a minimum by Moffat standards. Capaldi was super as usual, but the two young leads sold it for me in the end - the journalist and the nanny. They weren't terribly deep - I just found their performances likable and engaging. Also enjoyed the head-guns, brain-eyes and Adetomiwa Edun (Sir Elyan in Merlin). 

A bit disappointed this had absolutely nothing to do with Christmas. I enjoy the Christmas themed specials. When I realized it wasn't, I started browsing reddit while watching, so I will have to do a rewatch to give a real opinion.

It not being overly christmassy is what I liked. And I also actually enjoyed the episode (for a christmas special). Thoug, it might have been me not having exactly the highest expectations, with it a.) being a christmas special and b.) the super hero theme.

My only problem/concern. The ending. 

Spoiler

It looked like Moffat is again on his way to set up one of his long story arches with the Unit Soldier being hijacked. If so, I will brace myself for the inevitable let down at the series finale.

11 hours ago, dog-days said:

One thing I didn't much like about the episode was Nardole - I didn't watch Little Britain when it came out, and don't really get the appeal of Matt Lucas. The character was surplus to requirements. 

I actually liked him. I've wanted a non-Earth companion for a while now and it looks like he'll be back as a secondary companion next season based on the preview, so I'm happy. The new human companion also looks interesting from what I saw, but Amy/Rory and Clara are my top two favorites so we'll see. 

Archived