Doctor who Series 10; He has been away for a while but he is back! Contains spoilers.

Jon's Queen Consort

Yes someone could say that it was kind of silly but it was also smart, funny and warm and it was beautiful. I really liked the explanation behind the masked superhero and I really liked to see how the Doctor was affected by River's fate. The only thing that I don't really like was the enemy’s plan.

9 hours ago, All-for-Joffrey said:

I actually liked him. I've wanted a non-Earth companion for a while now and it looks like he'll be back as a secondary companion next season based on the preview, so I'm happy. The new human companion also looks interesting from what I saw, 

:agree: I was afraid that Bill would had been more like Donna but she seems not very similar.

On 12/26/2016 at 5:47 PM, dog-days said:

One thing I didn't much like about the episode was Nardole - I didn't watch Little Britain when it came out, and don't really get the appeal of Matt Lucas. The character was surplus to requirements. 

I'm generally not that keen on Matt Lucas either, but I didn't mind him in this episode, although I'm still not sure I'm all that keen on Nardole being a recurring character since he's a bit bland. 

I thought the episode was entertaining, it was a bit silly and the superhero satire wasn't exactly subtle but I'd say it's better than several of the previous Christmas episodes. I think the journalist was my favourite character, she seems like she might have been a more interesting choice of companion than the new companion we are getting, although to be fair I should probably wait until the new companion has featured in an actual episode. 

For the record, I actively despise Matt Lucas and think he's an unfunny lump, but he was spread throughout the episode enough that he was tolerable.  Other than that, the special was pretty light and fluffy.  I wish it had had more of a Christmas feel to it.  It was fun seeing some John Byrne Superman comics featured, he's always been my favorite comic book artist. 

I suppose it's a sort of sequel to the Husbands of River Song.  I wonder if the Shoal will end up being a recurring set of villains.

Well, I really enjoyed it and I was dubious beforehand, with the superhero theme.

But it turned out really entertaining ! The two main characters of the story (the supernanny and the journalist) were really engaging, Peter Capaladi was brilliant as always and Nardole was used just enough not to be tiresome.

So, come on, now, Steven, for your last season, I'm expecting some seriously great stuff ! But I trust you ! (Or I'm too much of an optimist maybe, but after all, Doctor Who is all about optimism !)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally watched it and got Little Jax to sit through it as well...he wasn't fond of the brains...

I fully expected the whole thing to be some sort of child fantasy based on a comic book, but it wasn't...

It wasn't bad though. It entertained.

Possibly my favourite Xmas special but I guess I'm a sucker for superheroes. I think what helped was that they didn't try and cram any snow/elves/santa in it. So maybe it worked because it wasn't Christmassy?

Anyway it worked to remind me the show can be entertaining which is useful given the show's leave of absence.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Sacha Dhawan, and he's definitely one of my preferred candidates from the BBC list.

But someone I really want to see play Doctor Who isn't on there at all, and it's Paterson Joseph. He can bring out both zaniness and pathos, and switch lightly between them, and I think he'd be great. 

Hopefully Capaldi gets a final series that's worthy of his abilities. I think for most of his run he's been great despite often having below-par scripts to work with, so it would be nice if he could get some consistently good material to work with.

I find casting the Doctor to be difficult, because there's such a wide range of approaches they could take. I would suspect we'll get a younger Doctor this time, as a contrast to Capaldi.

I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the names on that BBC spitball list -- Dhawan, Ayoade -- and it would be cool to get someone relatively "unknown" in the role. Of those I am familiar with, plus a couple other options:

Ben Whishaw: Solid option, would be great. I tend to go mostly off of vocal delivery, and Whishaw strikes me as slightly Smith-like. A wonderful actor, but a very safe choice for Who.

James Norton: Oh god the fandom would love him. They would melt the fuck down. Another wonderful option, but again very safe. Also kinda busy it seems.

David Harewood: This is a cool idea. There are a number of white guy actors in the "likely" column whose work I like a lot and I am sure the one of them who is eventually cast will do a great job, but I admit I am very partial to the idea of using this moment to get someone who is not a white guy in the role. Harewood is a commanding but also likable presence. Regular on Supergirl right now, which could pose some small difficulty.

Emma Watson: Great idea. Probably too high profile to actually happen. The Beeb does not have this kind of money. See also Eva Green, whose haunted steely Vanessa Ives moves would bring a new energy to Who, but who seems too big deal to me, though perhaps not quite so far as Watson.

Hayley Atwell: Great goddamn idea, and they should hire her tomorrow. She can do the fun swashbuckling action material while also keeping the show thoroughly relatable. She would be my choice.

Sarah Lancashire: An older first woman doctor could also be great and Lancashire is straight up amazing in Happy Valley. A left field interesting choice. For absolute maximum fun pair Lancashire with Atwell's doctor as a companion, perhaps.

Benedict Wong: I saw Chiwitel Ejiofor namechecked as a good doctor option somewhere -- he would indeed be stellar, but is like Watson too high profile I think -- and he called to mind Wong, who was in Doctor Strange with him. Great at deadpan funny.

There are of course an absolute ton of good options available to them and many of them would bring wonderful things to the role. Atwell is my choice, I think, but I'm pretty confident whoever they ultimately cast will bring something cool. I note that ... I forget dude's name, Rob Stark, the King in the North, who was widely rumoured at one stage as I recall, seems to have faded.

45 minutes ago, mormont said:

I would watch the hell out of Hayley Atwell as the Doctor.

That would be a solid choice - especially if Olivia Colman isn't available. Benedict Wong could work - he's quite versatile and has the right kind of presence. Ben Whishaw is so safe it's pretty unimaginative - I'd think they'd only return to young guy if they felt Capaldi had been a mis-step.

Has anyone on that list worked with Chibnall before? Based on the number of "who" and "torchwood" actors who've popped up in "Broadchurch" I think there's a decent chance he will want someone he knows. Which again makes it seem very unlikely that he hasn't asked Colman - although she could easily have turned it down as she has 3000 other roles to handle.

Traditionally the new Doctor is never any of the front-runners and we only know at the last minute who the real contender is so in a sense this list could be more ruling out than giving a chance.

I know it's not a popular view, but I think Coleman's a terrific actress who would not be suited to the part of the Doctor at all. Maybe she'd be fine, but I've seen nothing in her work - and I have seen a fair amount of it - that makes me think she could do an interesting Doctor.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

I know it's not a popular view, but I think Coleman's a terrific actress who would not be suited to the part of the Doctor at all. Maybe she'd be fine, but I've seen nothing in her work - and I have seen a fair amount of it - that makes me think she could do an interesting Doctor.

I was trying to remember the actress from "fleabag" and discovered she's also on the bookies' list. Phoebe Waller Bridge certainly has that eccentric energy for the role - they could even involve her in the writing.

Hayley Atwell is definitely my first choice for the next doctor. Some other options:

I think Ruth Negga would be another great choice, she's got a great range from sassy and mysterious in SHIELD to tough and more than a little bit batshit in preacher. I could absolutely see her as a doctor who could go from kind and quirky to insane at the flip of a switch.

Riz Ahmed, would be a good choice for a more mild mannered and amicable doctor going off of his role as Bodhi in Rogue One.

If we're not going for the diversity cast Damian Lewis has the chops for it and we'd finally get ourselves a ginger doctor. 

What I don't want is someone like Ben Wishaw - i.e an obvious attempt to recreate a 10/11 style doctor. They were both great, but we need something different. Ayaode's name has been thrown about a lot and while I think he has the comedic, quirky part down pat the Doctor is more than that. Does Ayoade have any history of dramatic roles?

One more series is not enough. My whovian feelings have suffered a lot in 2017 so far.

Since from what I have seen people prefer looks over talent I think that the next Doctor has to be a *beautiful* one.

So my choices with both looks and talent;

Domhnall Gleeson. pros: great actor and ginger. Cons; he seems to be busy and involved with big projects.

Brian Gleeson

Richard Madden. pros: great actor. Cons; he seems to be busy.

Rupert Young pros: great actor, ginger and known to fandom. Cons; I don’t know.

Tom Hopper pros: good actor and known to fandom. Cons; I don’t know.

Iwan Rheon pros: great actor and known to fandom. Cons; known to fandom

Bradley James pros: good actor and known to fandom. Cons; I don’t know.

13 hours ago, Maester Llama said:

James Norton: Oh god the fandom would love him. They would melt the fuck down. Another wonderful option, but again very safe. Also kinda busy it seems.

Agree. He would might be the only one who can made them forget about 10.

21 hours ago, Maltaran said:

I assume we've all seen the news about Capaldi leaving, I just wanted to drop this list of potential successors here which includes someone I went to school with (Sacha Dhawan)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38808070

I would like Tim Roth, Sacha Dhawan,  Rory Kinnear and James Norton.

18 hours ago, Maester Llama said:

Emma Watson: Great idea. Probably too high profile to actually happen. The Beeb does not have this kind of money. See also Eva Green, whose haunted steely Vanessa Ives moves would bring a new energy to Who, but who seems too big deal to me, though perhaps not quite so far as Watson.

Hayley Atwell: Great goddamn idea, and they should hire her tomorrow. She can do the fun swashbuckling action material while also keeping the show thoroughly relatable. She would be my choice.

I agree Watson seems implausible unless she really wanted to do it. Eva Green is an interesting idea, if she's willing to do TV shows like Penny Dreadful or that awful Camelot show (I'm trying to avoid thinking about who the head writer was for that) then I'd think they could get her for Doctor Who if they wanted.

If they're going down the female Doctor route, then I find it hard to think of a better candidate than Atwell.

Has anyone on that list worked with Chibnall before? Based on the number of "who" and "torchwood" actors who've popped up in "Broadchurch" I think there's a decent chance he will want someone he knows.

I just had a horrible vision of Jamie Campbell Bower from Camelot as The Doctor. Thinking about the other Camelot cast, I'm not sure I see an obvious contender although there are a fair few reasonably big names that will have worked with Chibnall in there like Joseph Fiennes, Claire Forlani, James Purefoy (not sure it's really the right role for him, but I'd definitely watch it anyway) or Sean Pertwee (an amusing idea, but probably unlikely).

ETA - for another name that hasn't been mentioned, I thought Enzo Cilenti did a great job as Childremass in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, and the Doctor is another role that combines elements of being enigmatic, a bit sinister, definitely an outside but still basically decent and likeable.

• 1 month later...

Archived