Doctor who Series 10; He has been away for a while but he is back! Contains spoilers.

Jon's Queen Consort

Series 10 episodes, directors and writers;

1. The Pilot director Lawrence Gough writer Steven Moffat        

2. Smile director Lawrence Gough writer Frank Cottrell-Boyce         

3. Thin ice director Bill Anderson writer Sarah Dollard       

4. Knock knock director Bill Anderson writer Mike Bartlett         

5. Oxygen director Charles Palmer writer   Jamie Mathieson         

6. Extremis director Daniel Nettheim writer   Steven Moffat    

7. The pyramid at the end of the world director Daniel Nettheim writer   Peter Harness and Steven Moffat         

8. The lie of the land director Wayne Yip writer   Toby Whithouse         

9. The Empress of Mars director Wayne Yip writer   Mark Gatiss         

10. The eaters of light director Charles Palmer writer   Rona Munro    

11. World enough and time director Rachel Talalay writer   Steven Moffat       

12. The Doctor Falls director Rachel Talalay writer   Steven Moffat    

Episodes 6,7 & 8 are three parters and the ending is a two part.

That was pretty good actually. I didn't hate Bill - in fact I think I could quite like her. Capaldi was great as ever. Nardole was used sparingly. The plot was simple (as it needed to be, to let the focus be on introducing Bill and the new status quo) but a decent idea. And the Doctor works well in a university setting, even if it's a weird university (half ancient, half red-brick).

I quite enjoyed the Season 10 opener.  I've never been fond of Clara; and was glad to see her go (though I thought she should have stayed dead); and only hope she doesn't return.  I like Bill.  Not sure what Nardole is doing for (or on) the show.  I really liked seeing the Doctor as a college professor; and found his characterization as an eccentric but rather likeable man to be a welcome departure from the past two seasons.

Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. I was never bored or annoyed by the writing/direction choices. Bill was great - found her really likeable, a bit daft, engaging. So now we know that Moffat can write female characters - they just have to be lesbian. Maybe that stops him from 'othering' them in his mind - sitting down at his desk and saying to himself "right, now I'm going to write a Woman" as opposed to "right, and now I'm going to write a human". 

The villain was effective at the beginning and end. When she emerged into the light - appearing in normal, non-spooky environments such as the Australian bar - it didn't really work visually. But the face in the pool was pleasantly alarming - reminiscent of, if not as horrifying as, Tolkien's Dead Marshes. 

Thought they over-egged the pudding a bit in the Tardis with the Doctor enjoying his big exposition against swelling chords, while Bill is completely oblivious. OTOH, I'm sure any kids watching would have loved it. 

Really good start to the series, in short. Hope they keep it up. 

Also, I was wondering if this monster is supposed to be related to the monster in Midnight?

3 hours ago, dog-days said:

Also, I was wondering if this monster is supposed to be related to the monster in Midnight?

Don't see any reason why it would, why?

I thought it was quite funny the way they just casually introduced with no bother perhaps the most powerful thing the Doctor has ever encountered, a ship from which a puddle of oil can give the TARDIS a run for its money. And I do hope that at some point the idea comes back and we find out that while the puddle had no interest in the vault, the original ship that left it did. But we probably won't.

Other than that though, it was pleasingly shorn of many of Moffat's worst Moffatisms, and gives me some decent hope that he can pull out a good final season.

Midnight? Interesting. The monster reminded me more of The Waters of Mars (because Water), or The Lodger (want/need a Pilot). Anyway. I also kinda liked the opener and Bill, but I just hope Moffatt hasn't created another mystery companion with Bill's background story to be unearthed during the Moff's last season.

It was the thing with the repetition that put Midnight into my head. Have only seen that episode once, though, and my memory of it has become rather blurry. 

Rumours about the next Doctor...

Spoiler

Really hope it's not true about Kris Marshall. According to ScreenRant, the BBC "wants a David Tennant-type" - if so, I reckon they've gone for the wrong bloke. I've never seen a performance from KM that really impressed me. I'm sure he's a nice person, and he may have the ability to hit heights and depths that I've missed, having not seen him in much, but he mostly seems suited to playing  roles in teatime dramas aimed at undemanding pensioners. A rather boring, conservative choice. 

Just looked up who Kris Marshall is, good lord I hope that's not true. That is a really boring choice. Couldn't stand him in My Family, Love Actually or those f**cking BT ads that still stand as my most despised advertising campaign.

Good episode, Moffat wisely dialled things back and just went with a fairly simple concept and didn't overload things. Guess he just couldn't resist sticking a Dalek in (they're the most dangerous thing in the universe, and this is during their worst war......so we'll just run across it and be probably fine, that's how dangerous they are). Teaser for the rest of the season looks good.

The Movellan reference was awesome. I guess this was a nod to show that the Daleks defeated the Movellans despite that devastating virus they used against them.

Also, the picture of Susan was really cool. Makes me wonder if they're setting up a possible cameo appearance by her later on?

As for the next Doctor, I'm wondering if the Kris Marshall story is a smokescreen:

Maybe it's Bill? The Doctor regenerates into her at the end of the season, but her mind is blanked for some reason and she goes back in her own internal timeline. This would explain how she immediately zeroes in on the weirdness that's going on, why she's drawn to the scientific lectures and why she's not that phased by the TARDIS and is able to pull back from the alien spaceship. The Doctor preparing to blank her mind and her saying, "How would

you like it?" may be foreshadowing. In the season finale her memory is restored (presumably after seeing her previous self regenerate into her) and she becomes the Doctor properly.

Okay, maybe not. More likely at the end of the season or in the Christmas special she meets the alien spaceship again and this time agrees to explore the universe with her.

My outlandish guess on the Kris Marshall bit is that he is the Doctor, just not the next one.  15 or 16 maybe.  Far enough down the line that they Just might not need to think about it unless they get that far...

I like the premiere.  It was simple and to the point.  Though I wondered that the Doctor seemed to be auditioning Bill, what with the questions initially and then the dialog once she was in the Tardis, yet he attempted to reject her after the adventure...

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Guess he just couldn't resist sticking a Dalek in

Iirc, they have to have a Dalek appearance in every season or they lose the rights to them, which are separate from Doctor Who and held by the Terry Nation estate. So I'm fine with it if this is the only appearance, although if it was me I'd just fuck them off and let the Nation people sit there with a Dalek franchise they can't do anything with until they come to a more sensible deal, at which point the Daleks might have been out of the game long enough for the impact of their return to be relevant again.

It was a good fun episode.

It was also for some reason an amalgamation of some of the best bits from the RTD years.  The central idea of a spaceship operating on its own after the crew are gone is from Moffat himself in the Girl in the Fireplace and versions of that've been used at least twice more since in new who.  Then the monster is a cross between Waters of Mars and Midnight, as previously mentioned.  It's not exactly a problem as it's been long enough since those eps, it's just a bit odd, like he can't even be bothered thinking of new ideas anymore.

The Bill is the Doctor theory is an interesting one.  I've seen it around the place and they even asked her directly in her Radio1 interview (to which she replied "i don't know," which is surely a lie).  It seems unlikely since she's hardly been on tv before but I guess that's not necessarily a complete bar.  And she is an ethnic minority woman which is surely the direction the shows got to be heading in somtime soon.

The other thing on the rumour mill, which seems more concrete, is that Capaldi will be teaming up with David Bradley as the First Doctor for his final episode (christmas 2017), which will involve him joining in with all the Doctors to put Gallifrey in the other dimension, as featured in Day of the Doctor.

Got confused by the whole "last humans", "earth evacuated" thing.

Didnt Eleven said that the human race never stoped, spread everywhere through the galaxy (during (and thanks to) the Apollo affair (6x01-02) ? Ten said something similar in Utopia if I recall correctly, so I never pictured an almost-moment-of-extinction for the human race in the Doctor Who universe...

Or maybe this refers to the last moments of earth that we saw all the way back in series 1 of Nu-Who but I wasnt under the impression that a sole ship flew away, rather a whole bunch of them, so the whole "last humans" vibe in this episode made me wince.

Or maybe, this extinction event is part of the series arc, so we'll see (but I didnt feel like it did)... 

... or maybe who cares, I'm just fixating over a useless detail, this is Doctor Who, screw timelines ! 

17 minutes ago, Arkash said:

Got confused by the whole "last humans", "earth evacuated" thing.

Didnt Eleven said that the human race never stoped, spread everywhere through the galaxy (during (and thanks to) the Apollo affair (6x01-02) ? Ten said something similar in Utopia if I recall correctly, so I never pictured an almost-moment-of-extinction for the human race in the Doctor Who universe...

Or maybe this refers to the last moments of earth that we saw all the way back in series 1 of Nu-Who but I wasnt under the impression that a sole ship flew away, rather a whole bunch of them, so the whole "last humans" vibe in this episode made me wince.

Or maybe, this extinction event is part of the series arc, so we'll see (but I didnt feel like it did)... 

... or maybe who cares, I'm just fixating over a useless detail, this is Doctor Who, screw timelines ! 

Earlier in the episode the Doctor pointed out that he'd met a number of the ships evacuating Earth during his journeys and this was only one of them so the later line about the human race facing extinction due to the robots seemed a bit contradictory.

I'm assuming this is meant to be set during the period where Earth had to be abandoned due to solar flares and this colony is part of the human diaspora along with the likes of the inhabitants of the British spaceship in the Matt Smith Space Whale episode (which also featured a different kind of deadly smiling/frowning robots).

I thought it was a decent episode, even if it doesn't really stand out particularly.

Archived