What is really the Dusky Woman's part?

Quellon

Up until now, she provides context for Victarion's thoughts. I don't have the books with me, but I recall that Vic does his reflections while he's with the dusky woman. Should be somewhat similar to Euron and his crew of mutes. I don't doubt he treats them similarly. Well, maybe without all the seks.

She is Missendai's mum! 

The people native to the island are a beautiful and gentle race, with round flat faces, dusky skin, and large, soft amber eyes, oft flecked with gold.

Naath, TWOIAF

The Good Master Kraznys asks, are they not magnificent?" The girl spoke the Common Tongue well, for one who had never been to Westeros. No older than ten, she had the round flat face, dusky skin, and golden eyes of Naath. The Peaceful People, her folk were called. All agreed that they made the best slaves.

Daenerys II, Storm

Missandei and her brothers had been taken from their home on Naath by raiders from the Basilisk Isles and sold into slavery in Astapor.

Daenerys II, Dance

...the charcoal-and-earth color of the dusky woman's skin, ...

The Iron Suitor, Dance

As a reward for his leal service, the new-crowned king had given Victarion the dusky woman, taken off some slaver bound for Lys.

The Reaver, Feast

C'mon, how delicious would it be to read the chapter in which Missandei, Daenerys, the Dusky Woman and Victarion all meet and it turns out that Euron is glamouring or warging Missandei's mum, whom Victarion has been keeping as a bedwarmer?

OK seriously, leave the Euron warging the Dusky Woman out, and I could see the George giving us this little treat.

12 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

She is Missendai's mum! 

Naath, TWOIAF

Daenerys II, Storm

Daenerys II, Dance

The Iron Suitor, Dance

The Reaver, Feast

C'mon, how delicious would it be to read the chapter in which Missandei, Daenerys, the Dusky Woman and Victarion all meet and it turns out that Euron is glamouring or warging Missandei's mum, whom Victarion has been keeping as a bedwarmer?

OK seriously, leave the Euron warging the Dusky Woman out, and I could see the George giving us this little treat.

Hm...interesting, very interesting.

I like the theory of Euron skinchanging the Dusky woman to spy on Victarion first hand.

His plan to give up the dragonhorn seems pretty careless for an evil genius like Euron.

If Euron is in fact a skinchanger, it explains why the dusky woman reacts like she does to Moqorro, and also what could possible go wrong for Victarion, as well as who was the poisoner.

There is little doubt in my mind that the Dusky Woman is either Euron's spy or Euron has been wargging into her:

As he opened the door to the captain’s cabin, the dusky woman turned toward him, silent and smiling…but when she saw the red priest at his side her lips drew back from her teeth, and she hisssssed in sudden fury, like a snake

I mean how else can you explain the above? She is supposed to be some poor meek thrall but she reacts nearly violently when seeing  Moqorro?

Victorian is a dupe. The only question is does Moqorro ruin his plans or does Vic succeed only to end up ensorcelling the dragon for Euron. I think the latter is going to happen. 

3 hours ago, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

I like the theory of Euron skinchanging the Dusky woman to spy on Victarion first hand.

His plan to give up the dragonhorn seems pretty careless for an evil genius like Euron.

If Euron is in fact a skinchanger, it explains why the dusky woman reacts like she does to Moqorro, and also what could possible go wrong for Victarion, as well as who was the poisoner.

And if Victarion finds out, OH MY GOD, dude is going to FLIP the F@$! OUT!

2 hours ago, Unknownfinger said:

There is little doubt in my mind that the Dusky Woman is either Euron's spy or Euron has been wargging into her:

I mean how else can you explain the above? She is supposed to be some poor meek thrall but she reacts nearly violently when seeing  Moqorro?

Victorian is a dupe. The only question is does Moqorro ruin his plans or does Vic succeed only to end up ensorcelling the dragon for Euron. I think the latter is going to happen. 

Nice use of text. 

Victorian is a dupe. The only question is does Moqorro ruin his plans or does Vic succeed only to end up ensorcelling the dragon for Euron.

This seems to be the plan. But what is Moqorro's plan? Unbind the horn? Unbind Victarion himself? Will he succeed at least partially? Why Moqorro doesn't see the threat of the Dusky Woman?  Or he does but has a contingency?

Well, I remember that Moqorro's looks change after the first ship he was in sank. He looks fearful now, when accompanying Vic's crew. If the dusky woman is not westerosi but instead an essosi, a naathi or native from some obscure place, he could see Moqorro as an omen, a black magic sorcerer or whatevs and reacts accordingly. Doesn't actually mean that she's being controlled by Euron.

On 21/12/2016 at 0:59 AM, King Merrett I Frey said:

Up until now, she provides context for Victarion's thoughts. I don't have the books with me, but I recall that Vic does his reflections while he's with the dusky woman.

True, although it begs the question why such a narrative tool is needed for a POV character? We have POV characters used to draw out the thinking of key players who don't have a POV themselves - Davos for Stannis, etc., and this tool is used in books that don't have POVs in the same way, where certain characters seem only to exist to draw out important characters' thoughts. But, it seems unusual to need such a device for a character whose inner most thoughts are exposed to us anyway. 

45 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

True, although it begs the question why such a narrative tool is needed for a POV character? We have POV characters used to draw out the thinking of key players who don't have a POV themselves - Davos for Stannis, etc., and this tool is used in books that don't have POVs in the same way, where certain characters seem only to exist to draw out important characters' thoughts. But, it seems unusual to need such a device for a character whose inner most thoughts are exposed to us anyway. 

It allows him to vocalise his inner thoughts. It's like therapy, it allows him to get the thoughts off his chest and make a positive step to overcome his problem (the kinslayer is accursed in the eyes of gods and men). Jaime goes through the same thing in his sessions with Ilyn Payne.

The Dusky Woman , who is certainly Euron's spy and whose name is Roxanne, originally intended to poison Victarion just slowly enough so he could bring the Iron Fleet to Slavers' Bay, but then die before he could betray Euron. Her plan was foiled by Moqorro, so now she will attempt to steal a dragon by blowing the dragon horn herself.

11 minutes ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

The Dusky Woman , who is certainly Euron's spy and whose name is Roxanne, originally intended to poison Victarion just slowly enough so he could bring the Iron Fleet to Slavers' Bay, but then die before he could betray Euron. Her plan was foiled by Moqorro, so now she will attempt to steal a dragon by blowing the dragon horn herself.

Bold ms Roxanne 

33 minutes ago, ser plant said:

It allows him to vocalise his inner thoughts. It's like therapy, it allows him to get the thoughts off his chest and make a positive step to overcome his problem (the kinslayer is accursed in the eyes of gods and men). Jaime goes through the same thing in his sessions with Ilyn Payne.

Ah, sorry I thought you meant as a narrative device.

Certainly, it's clear that Victarion finds talking to her therapeutic, and therefore talks a lot about his plans. If Euron guessed that could happen (having spent a lot of time around mutes himself), then planting her with Victarion would make a lot of sense. 

Archived