Survivor 34: "Game Changers" | RIP Dan Kay, Survivor: Gabon

Scrambled Aegon

May as well get this one up early because it's a ~RETURNING PLAYER~ season... even if it's not a particularly exciting one.

Our next Survivor cast:

Mana

Aubry Bracco (S32)

Caleb Reynolds (S32)

Ciera Eastin (S27, S31)

Jeff Varner (S2, S31)

Hali Ford (S30)

Malcolm Freberg (S25, S26)

Michaela Bradshaw (S33)

Official Queen of Survivor Sandra Diaz-Twine (S7, S20)

Tony Vlachos (S28)

Troyzan Robertson (S24)

Nuku

Andrea Boelkhe (S22, S26)

Brad Culpepper (S27)

Cirie Fields (S12, S16, S20)

Debbie Wanner (S32)

James "J.T." Thomas, Jr. (S18, S20)

Oscar "Ozzy" Lusth (S13, S16, S23)

President Sarah Lacina (S28)

Sierra Dawn Thomas (S30)

Tai Trang (S32)

Zeke Smith (S33)

First impressions? Speculate and shit-talk and so forth below :o

Have to agree, three times was already too many for me. Hell two times should be the limit IMO.

Also, Game Changers..how did Brad Culpepper change anything?

Hell I still want to see a losers season. Take the last 20 seasons of first timers and whoever got voted out first each season gets to come back. I'd rather see that and see who we never got to know, than see another Ozzie retread.

18 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm rooting for Sandra just because. Though there's almost no way they won't vote her out the first time she comes up at tribal council.  

This!  

I'll add that as much as I don't like the all-star casts in principle, they have been some of the seasons I enjoyed the most.  

I like dbunting's idea of a season of all players who went out on the first vote.  

While there are a few head scratchers on this list, I think over all this is a pretty solid cast. Watching Zeke, Tai and Tony Vlacho play again will be worth it on its own. I also am glad Debbie and Aubrey are getting another shot. I don't like Culpepper, but he does make good TV, so I don't even mind that. 

I could do without Ozzie, Hali, and Sierra though. I say that now, but watch Hali pull off a brilliant game to win.

Finally, If Sandra makes it past the first tribal she will win again.She will not though...

While I like the idea of a first-off season, I think it should be expanded to pre-merge. That lets you chose the best of the people who didn't make it far. Let's be honest - people are usually voted off first for good reasons.

Aubry, Caleb, Varner, Michaela, Debbie, Tai, Zeke -

All candidates for second chances based on their previous outings. None of them are game changing, but they can't all fit the theme. Some big personalities here and it's all good tv. I kinda wish David would have been slotted into Zeke's spot but it's probably too soon after a high placing (not that that's stopped them before). I don't dislike Zeke, but I felt like he was over-hyped. Love love love Varner and am super glad to see him back.

Hali, Malcolm, Troyzan, Andrea, Sarah, Sierra -

Totally meh about this group. Looks like they were the gap fillers and mostly they look good in beachwear. Sierra or Hali seems the weakest pick here, Malcolm maybe the strongest as he's a tried and true fan favorite (but I'm over him).

Ciera Eastin, Culpepper, Ozzie -

Go away, all of you. Ciera is over-rated. I admit, I was intrigued by her going to rocks and voting out her mom, but outside of those two moves she's boring and uninteresting to watch. And I really think Jeff needs to get over the fact that she voted out her mom, because what else was she supposed to do in that situation? Her second outing showed that those moves were aberrations and she's bought into her own hype. Ozzie is just a very impressive athlete with nothing else to offer. Seriously, so go away.

The actual game-changers -

Sandra Diaz-Twine - She won twice, that' impressive all on it's own. She exemplifies the 'anyone but me' strategy She's abrasive and a drag in challenges, but still survives. I love her and am rooting for her all the way.

Tony Vlachos - He was hyper vigilant and man did he hustle. He was able to flip and return, which is hard to do and he did it with ease. I think Cesternino was the pioneer of this style, but Tony did it with flair and he won with it, so all the props.

Cirie Fields - she really did work some magic. She is the poster child of using her social game to get what she wants. I get why some people are tired of her, but I still love her and will root for her again.

James "J.T." Thomas, Jr. - The man has charisma oozing out of his pores. I love that he's back. His performance at tribal where he threw Steven under the bus as he played the wounded friend was amazing. His letter to Hantz backfired, but took some balls. I'm on board with him

• 2 weeks later...

It came to light today that Dan Kay from season 17, Survivor: Gabon, passed away unexpectedly on December 31st. Cause of death is not publicly known. He was only 40 years old and is survived by his mother and two young children. :( Very likable guy on the show for the time he was around. Even from what we got to see in the episodes it was clear that he was a really nice, honest, open guy with a good heart - which especially stands out in that cast full of more dramatic or polarizing characters. Very surprising and sad news all around and my thoughts are with his loved ones.

3 hours ago, Scrambled Aegon said:

It came to light today that Dan Kay from season 17, Survivor: Gabon, passed away unexpectedly on December 31st. Cause of death is not publicly known. He was only 40 years old and is survived by his mother and two young children. :( Very likable guy on the show for the time he was around. Even from what we got to see in the episodes it was clear that he was a really nice, honest, open guy with a good heart - which especially stands out in that cast full of more dramatic or polarizing characters. Very surprising and sad news all around and my thoughts are with his loved ones.

Sad indeed... He had also maintained relationships with several people who were also on the show throughout the year, and by all accounts was really held in high regard by everyone. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Scrambled Aegon said:

Didn't see any listed there, but there is a playlist:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWwZ4u5_J1L8viWSmY1juzJ7NE0Fim8Pr

Edit: I guess I should have tried playing the videos there before posting it.  It's saying not available.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

I was just thinking it would be interesting if they could make a global Survivor season with the best winners from each national version of Survivor.  Americans vs French vs Phillipinos vs South Africans for instance.

Language barrier would be a huge obstacle in this kind of game.

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight!  Two eps?

Language barrier would be a huge obstacle in this kind of game.

That would be even better!  Just have them grunting and gesturing at each other for 40 days!

Actually I'm sure it's not hard to find players that know English.  From South African & Australian Survivors for instance.  Sprinkle in some english-speakers from non-commonwealth countries.  Couldn't be harder than for the deaf woman that one time, who only understood others when she was watching their lips, so not getting every word.

Maybe I just want to see a Frenchman cursing at an American during an immunity challenge. "Zut alors! Zut alors! Why do you nut nu your left from your right, Americaaaaan?"

Archived