Jon Snow's Death

Jazarrr

Not sure if this has been discussed or not (probably was somewhere here at some point). I think the main focus on Jon's death is that if he comes back, he will have died and hence is free of his vows to the Night's Watch. This is a major consequence, obviously. But I think that there might be an even bigger consequence to his death, a physical one, and that is him becoming impervious to the cold. The White Walkers most powerful weapon is the cold; something you simply cannot fight. Not with dragon glass, not with Valyrian steel. In a sense, he will be the cold version of Dany. Together they are the song of ice and fire in their respective imperviousness to them. I might be reaching here, but just a thought.

6 hours ago, Jazarrr said:

That may well be the case (about Dany), but you're focusing on the wrong point here. I'm more interested in thoughts about potential physical transformations for Jon brought about by his death :-)

I never thought there would be physical changes for Jon but I do think he will change mentally. For example I could see becoming a more ruthless leader, and stop trying to please everyone so much. 

I believe the resurrected Jon will be much different than the live Jon, both physically and mentally. The HBO version of his resurrection and becoming King in the North is too simpleand naive to GRRM's taste.

GRRM described a few resurrected/reanimated beings before Jon's death: UnBeric, UnCat, UnGregor and possibly Mel herself.  They all need no food, no rest. Do they need warmth? Well at least Mel doesn't. So it's likely UnJon will also gain these new abilities. My theory is that UnJon will infiltrate Others and tell their agenda and stories from his POV. 

After Jon's death his spirit will warg into Ghost and may stay there for a long time, maybe even a whole book.  He will help to revenge his own death, he will tell the story of Val, Tormund, Stannis, Mance, NW, he will get a chance to interact with Bran and learn more about Others. His body will stay fresh in the ice cell and possibly be reanimated during Wall's fall and Others invasion. To resurrect Jon, Mel need to strip the undead spirit from his body and direct the wolf spirit to rejoin. The new UnJon will be able to do lots of cool stuff after that. He is destined to become AA reborn and defeat Others invasion 2.0 after all. 

John will be transformed, mentally - for sure, physically - not so sure.

The people you list are under different circumstances and would be a bad example for Jon.

Beric been brought back so many times, the spell is working overtime, he no longer has any big strong feelings and feels numb all over, he is just going on auto there. We have no idea how he behaved or felt after the first time. Maybe it was pretty close to normal and based on Thoros reaction, it was.

UnCat, has been dead for a long time in water, in relatively warm environment, she literally started the first stages of decomposition and she died in a state of severe mental shock. No wonder she is unhinged and unstable. 

Mel - I have no idea if she undead, or just alive with her SUPER-old body (Centuries) being maintained by magic. 

unGregor, not sure if you can put it together with previous examples. He is brought back by Westerosi version of Frankenstein using science. No magic involved, and not sure if he ever died - with no heartbeat or being brain dead.

Jon situation might be closest to Beric - when he was first revived. First, even if it takes him several days to revive, his body will be stored in sub-freezing temperatures with zero decomposition involved. Secondly, mentally, he was surprised like "WTF" but he didn't have time to go deep into mental anguish unlike Catelyn, so there should be no such extreme mental reaction as her.

Finally, I am not sure about couple of things

1) That his body actually dies. Full Stop. Perhaps he goes into deep coma with no discernible heartbeat noticeable plus flash frozen. 

2) His revival might not be through Mel. Maybe she tries and fails and then Bran/The Children do something and everyone thinks its R'ollor's

3) Mental status, before he dies his spirit will warg Ghost. So for a chapter or few, he will spent trying to adjust, react, and most of mental trauma will be from this and his brothers' betrayal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2016 at 3:24 PM, The Great and Mighty Poo said:

Dany is not impervious to fire. That's show only trash.

Wasn't her hair burned off in Daznak's Pit? I gotta assume she either has some Valyrian plot armor or she's got some wicked fire resistance. 

8 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Wasn't her hair burned off in Daznak's Pit? I gotta assume she either has some Valyrian plot armor or she's got some wicked fire resistance. 

Haha. Yes, her hair was burned off and she had burns on her scalp that were healing nicely by the end of Dance. Even hair was starting to grow back. I always imagined her rocking a buzz cut in her final chapter. 

If you recall she is described at dodging the fire blast and I'm not sure if you ever partook in fire jumping but that, in my eyes, can be a good analogy to dodging a fire blast. So plot armor and fire resistance is not needed.... well maybe a little plot armor haha.

2 hours ago, The Great and Mighty Poo said:

Haha. Yes, her hair was burned off and she had burns on her scalp that were healing nicely by the end of Dance. Even hair was starting to grow back. I always imagined her rocking a buzz cut in her final chapter. 

If you recall she is described at dodging the fire blast and I'm not sure if you ever partook in fire jumping but that, in my eyes, can be a good analogy to dodging a fire blast. So plot armor and fire resistance is not needed.... well maybe a little plot armor haha.

So, she oughtta resemble the Hound, no? 

Archived